PDA

View Full Version : Yet another meekly played AK hand

jason_t
01-15-2005, 10:24 PM
The whole table is loose/passive.

I'm diligantly trying to improve my play with AK when I miss the flop; I'm never sure what to do and just need to build more experience with it. I know I played this hand way way way too passively.

I reread the Overcards section of SSHE after this hand and came up with the following plan. Here, I think it would have been better to raise the flop (ideally, BB would 3-bet and UTG+2 would fold, I'd cap and Button would fold), bet the turn, and if I do manage to get it heads up against BB, bet the river too. Is this a good plan? What is the best way to handle various deviations? Thanks.

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.5 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.25 BB between BB and UTG+2.</font>

CPA
01-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Since you said the entire table was passive, I would have either raised (for a free card) or folded the flop. Since I don't have any backdoor draws, I would lean towards folding.

You also mention capping the flop if the BB three bets? I don't think so, I would call the three bet and fold the turn unimproved.

adamstewart
01-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Cap Preflop.

jason_t
01-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Folding on the flop? Why does the passivity of the table lead to this being correct?

CPA
01-15-2005, 10:58 PM
A passive player is leading out with a bet....which would indicate to me that a "I would rather call than bet" type player at least has a jack here.

No backdoor draws, maybe three outs (a K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif may be no good), against four players, not closing the action ....I could see folding.

jason_t
01-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Okay. This makes sense. What is the best move against more aggressive players?

sthief09
01-16-2005, 01:38 AM
I'd bet that turn and check behind on the river

sthief09
01-16-2005, 01:39 AM
folding the flop getting 15-1 would be bad

Kenrick
01-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Calling this flop is one thing. Why would I cap it? What is the BB 3-betting me with that I have good odds to beat? If BB is simply a psycho, do I know he's a psycho?

jason_t
01-16-2005, 08:08 AM
UTG+2 showed down 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the flush. BB called UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Now how would you play this hand against the same players in the future?

Kenrick
01-18-2005, 07:27 AM
I'd give UTG2 less credit in the future, BB played ok, but if you don't know they play that way, I still don't think there's much you can do on a paired-flop with a flush draw with someone betting into you after you raised preflop and he 3-bet against multiple opponents, unless you put him on AK for the 3-bet, and even then you're splitting.

I don't mind the Sthief bet on the Turn, even with the second flushdraw coming in, although I figure I'm sure to get called by someone on a draw, but then I'd hope I get to check the river. I know BB doesn't have a 3, but when UTG2 bets the river, gotta figure he can beat Ace-high.

In the future, I'm raising UTG2 on damn-near every preflop.