PDA

View Full Version : A great college town is no more.... sigh

wacki
01-15-2005, 09:24 PM
This sucks....

Bloomington, Indiana University

Little 5 used to be on MTV and Lance Armstrong used to say:

“I’ve attended Super Bowls, World Series and the Monaco Grand Prix, but the coolest event I ever attended was the Little 500. It’s a fifty-mile relay bike race at Indiana University, and the teams get a lot of enthusiastic support. Every sports fan should see it live.”

Now they break out helicopters (plural) and arrest people walking out of a bar for public intox during little 500. The taxi cab may be 2 feet in one direction and the doors to the bar will be 2 feet in the other, but it won't matter. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens often enough. Hell, I've been arrested for illegal transportation of alcohol. Anyone even know what that is?

Bobby Knight was kicked out...

The Greek system was torn to shreds and about a thousand people were evicted over a year (In groups of about 100+ with very little notice) because they just couldn't let anyone drink alcohol, even if he was 21.

Now they banned tobacco. In Indiana of all places, they banned tobacco from every bar.

I don't smoke, but I hate this controlling bulls**t...

What is happening to my country? My town? Goodbye sweet Bloomington, for I must leave you now......

cardcounter0
01-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Aren't they a red state? Aren't the senators and representatives from Indiana republican?

Be Afraid, Obey, and Consume. Wave your little plastic American flag from Wal-Mart and quit complaining.

We are at war. Think of the children.

Oski
01-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Breaking Away ... great movie

wacki
01-15-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't they a red state? Aren't the senators and representatives from Indiana republican?

Be Afraid, Obey, and Consume. Wave your little plastic American flag from Wal-Mart and quit complaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Monroe County, and it is a blue county. Bloomington has officially claimed itself to be a gay tourist town as well. It is very liberal, but not the kind of liberal it used to be.

cardcounter0
01-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Keep electing inbred redneck right-wing religious fanatics to office and then whine some more when the Taliban cracks down on the party.

I assume the police force is acting under approval of the City Council or what ever form of Government the yokels have established.

Clarkmeister
01-15-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, even hoosiers get something right once in a while!

Dynasty
01-15-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't the senators and representatives from Indiana republican?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need to continue to prove your ignorance. We've all believers already.

Here's Indiana Senator Evan Bayh (D) (http://bayh.senate.gov/index1.html). Considering he's being touted as a top candidate for the 2008 Democratic Presidential nomination, he's rather well known.

wacki
01-15-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep electing inbred redneck right-wing religious fanatics to office and then whine some more when the Taliban cracks down on the party.

I assume the police force is acting under approval of the City Council or what ever form of Government the yokels have established.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the police are acting on behalf of the city of Bloomington and Indiana University. I knew this was going to happen.... /images/graemlins/frown.gif Should of put it in the Politics forum.

A lot of this has to do with the trustees of Indiana University, the university's deans, and local officials. The state politicians aren't involved from what I've heard.

This conversation is going to become very lame very quickly.

wacki
01-15-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh oh, dare I ask why you hate Bobby Knight? I know there are a million reasons to, but I'm curious what is your primary one.

PhatTBoll
01-15-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of thing is happening in college towns all over the US, including Ithaca, NY (where I went to school), which is about as liberal a town as you will ever see.

Blaming every single problem on republicans only makes you seem ignorant and shrill, and cheapens any legitimate point you might make.

wacki
01-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Ya, I've heard it's happening across the country. What is the primary driving force? Lawsuits?

Also, please forgive my replies to cardcounter. I really don't want this to go red vs. blue.

Clarkmeister
01-15-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh oh, dare I ask why you hate Bobby Knight? I know there are a million reasons to, but I'm curious what is your primary one.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am forced to pick one reason, it is because he is arrogant about being hypocritical. The man who preaches Discipline and Team has zero self discipline and is the ultimate in selfishness. And how dare anyone question him about it.

cardcounter0
01-15-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't keep up with Indiana Politics, which is why I asked the question. But I think I am right in my assumption that the local police are not acting arbitarily but are carrying out the will of elected officials.

So Indiana can claim one Democrat from the State. I wonder if there are any others?

I know that the recent new Economic Advisor Bush appointed is from Indiana. I remember that one of the biggest defenders of "Iraq has WMDs" was a senator from Indiana. I don't think they were democrats.

Indiana gets what they vote for. Be happy Indiana!

wacki
01-15-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I am forced to pick one reason,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you really are passionate about this. I didn't mean to constrain you though.

He was an a**. I would go to games and get drunk and watch them w/ buddies. That's about it. So maybe I just don't know that much about the guy. What interviews I saw showed he was a cocky SOB, but I always thought it was funny. I just know the vast majority of people on campus didn't want him to leave because he was a legend. A lot of alumni were the same way. This isn't really my territory, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Clarkmeister
01-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Ha, don't take it so serious. I just think he is a bad guy, that's all, and I find it amazing at how many people still worship him. I hope my reason made sense at least.

cardcounter0
01-15-2005, 10:26 PM
It must be a vast law enforcement collusive effort.

It couldn't be that they are just carrying out the policies and procedures laid out by the elected officials that oversee and approve their activities.

Maybe these "liberal" areas, aren't so "liberal", now are they? I wonder if any one listens to Rush Limbaugh and then goes out and votes? I understand he is broadcast nationwide.

PhatTBoll
01-15-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I've heard it's happening across the country. What is the primary driving force? Lawsuits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. It's a lot cheaper to heavily enforce stringent rules than it is to pay multi-million dollar settlements.

wacki
01-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Yes it did. Everyone either loves him, or hates him. That's the way it goes with those kinds of people.

I'm just not sure how an arrogant, cocky, a**hole = evil or bad guy. From what I've heard, he put a lot of effort into his players on and off the court. A lot of his players really loved him, some more than other obviously. If you want to give more reasons, I'd be glad to hear them.

wacki
01-15-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup. It's a lot cheaper to heavily enforce stringent rules than it is to pay multi-million dollar settlements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheap? Are you kidding? They make tons of money off of it. Pretrial diversion! When I was arrested (for having a 20 year 354 day and 23 hour old friend a car that had beer in the trunk) we were force to show up in court 9 hours later. We both paid $300 and then went on our merry way.

hudat
01-15-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't keep up with Indiana Politics, which is why I asked the question. But I think I am right in my assumption that the local police are not acting arbitarily but are carrying out the will of elected officials.

So Indiana can claim one Democrat from the State. I wonder if there are any others?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two democrat representatives from Indiana...back to the subject, this is so not a blue/red issue, the decisions made were done at the local level where partisan politics is not as much at play.

cardcounter0
01-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Local religious fanatics vote locally as well as nationally.
It would be hard to be nationally, or state-wide conservative (and Indiana is a conservative State), and yet be liberal on a local level.

Sure there can be "liberal" pockets, but as you see those pockets are rapidly being diluted. Since we seem to approve of the National Law and Order movement, people shouldn't complain when it is applied at the local level.

GuyOnTilt
01-15-2005, 11:18 PM
When I was arrested (for having a 20 year 354 day and 23 hour old friend a car that had beer in the trunk)

How would they know there was alcohol in the trunk? That's why you put it there. Or at least for underagers like me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoT

thatpfunk
01-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Its happening all over the country, and liberals v. conservatives has nothing to do with it. Its sad, but the college campus is slowly dissapearing.

wacki
01-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Excise police use binoculars from a distance to see if anyone remains in the car while you go into a liquor store to buy beer. They also do random pullovers and illegal searches of cars/dorms/fraternities/and apartments. Then they say "hey pay the $300 pretrial diversion and we will forget this ever happened in a year, maybe 6 months if you do community service." A lot of the tactics are illegal, but it's easier to pay the ticket than to fight. Plus, if you loose, you are screwed. They really do know how to abuse the system.

My friend was 21 when we walked into the courthouse... Lame.....

Many many people were evicted using the unconstitutional guilt by association process. Entire fraternities were boarded up because 1 or 2 kids got caught drinking. Imagine telling 100+ kids that you have 2 weeks to find a new place to live. In the middle of a semester non the less. I could go on..... Will be back late night, I'm about to go out and enjoy the smoke free bars. I hate control freaks.

wacki
01-15-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its happening all over the country, and liberals v. conservatives has nothing to do with it. Its sad, but the college campus is slowly dissapearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I know. Tell that to cardcounter though.

wacki
01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Oh ya, my brother was in his apartment. A cop opened up the door and grabbed him and pulled him outside of the apartment. Why did he do this? Because once he was outside his apartment, he could be tagged for public intox. He was sober, so he was lucky. I'm amazed class action lawsuits haven't been popping up all over the place.

craig r
01-15-2005, 11:40 PM
All this is very scary. These events are nothing new, though. They are just possibly new to (or newer) campuses. But, I know things like this go on in "poor" neighborhoods all the time.

craig

cardcounter0
01-15-2005, 11:56 PM
It is too bad there isn't some organization that would defend the abuses of the constitution against the citizen.
Oh, wait, there is. It's called the ACLU, but it is a scum-bag liberal organization that you wouldn't want to support.

Saying this crap isn't a liberal/conservative thing is like saying the fact that I am walk in my house soaking wet has nothing to do with the rain outside, or Hey! I'm soaking wet, but let's not make this a rain issue, it is wet all over.

Put a conservative government in power nationally. Let them appoint a conservative AG. Let them appoint conservative judges. Have a conservative congress pass laws. Get a conservative State AG. A conservative state legislature to pass some conservative State laws. A conservative DA. Get a conservative city council. Pass some conservative local laws. Elect and appoint local conservative judges.

Hey, guess what? The cops are acting pretty conservative and the Judges are backing them. My, my, what a surprise.

PhatTBoll
01-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Please explain how your cute theory applies to Ithaca, New York, where the same type of thing is happnening. Liberal county, social liberal governor, very liberal AG, liberal judges, liberal state legislature, liberal county with liberal criminal laws (for instance, pot possession of less than an ounce is a violation and small fine).

craig r
01-16-2005, 12:10 AM
maybe "conservatives" aren't that much further to the right than "liberals??" i mean liberals aren't very radical. most i talk to are very moderate.

craig

wacki
01-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Clarkmeister, this is the #1 reason why I was very angry about the whole Bobby Night thing.

http://www.aggiesports.com/big12news/texastech/111302knightsues.htm

Indiana has an "open door" law that requires all trustee meetings to be public. Myles Brand and the trustees used phones and several other tactics to get around the "open door" law. Indiana University is a public institution funded by public money. If they were a private institution or they gave the tax paying public their fair say then I wouldn't have a problem. This was not the case. My knowledge of Bobby Knight is limited, but I don't think any public institution should behave like a private one when laws were put in place to prevent such acts.

JoeC
01-16-2005, 06:47 PM
It's time to lay this liberal conspiracy BS to rest.

Truth is this... from time to time, colleges will crack down on alcohol, partying, frats, etc. in order to try to become more of an academically-oriented institution. I know Dartmouth is doing the same thing right now. I think my school, UNC, did the same about 20 years ago. (Orange County, NC voted 69% for John Kerry so please don't give me any Bible Belt crap either.)

This has nothing to do with politics whatsoever.