PDA

View Full Version : 7 Stud/8 - Cat. 6 hand

greenage
01-15-2005, 06:31 PM
7 Stud/8 - $0.25/$0.50 - $0.05 Ante.

3rd Street (1.2 SB) - 6 players.

Seat 1: X X 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Seat 3: X X J/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Seat 6: X X Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Seat 7: X X 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Seat 8: X X 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

Seat 8 brings-in for $0.10, Seat 1 calls, Seat 3 folds, Hero raises, Seat 6 folds, Seat 7 calls, Seat 8 calls, Seat 1 calls.

4th Street (5.2 SB) - 4 players.

Seat 1: X X 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Seat 7: X X 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Seat 8: X X 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, Seat 7 calls, Seat 8 calls, Seat 1 folds.

5th Street (4.1 BB) - 3 players.

Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Seat 7: X X 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Seat 8: X X 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, Seat 7 folds, Seat 8 calls.

6th Street (6.1 BB) - 2 players.

Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif
Seat 8: X X 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif

Check, check.

7th Street (6.1 BB) - 2 players.

Hero catches 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, Seat 8 calls.

Any comments appreciated.

greenage

bugstud
01-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Seat 1's play is a good substitute for Epicac

I think you may have played your hand too hard.

greenage
01-15-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seat 1's play is a good substitute for Epicac

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but I was happy he folded.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you may have played your hand too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

That’s mainly why I posted this. Not sure about the 3rd street raise, and I did keep pushing. OTOH, maybe that saved me. I do not know.

Thank you,
greenage

Andy B
01-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I saw the subject line and thought, "I wonder what category six is." Now we know.

Raising on third street is fine. When both of the low draws catch Eights, it becomes fairly likely that you're up against two four-card lows. At least one of them is bound to get there, and you won't be able to get them off of there hands no matter what you do. I'd probably check and call. I'd also check and call one bet on fifth. Did you take your foot off the gas because the Jack scared you? Given how the hand went down, I guess the river bet is OK, but it may not gain you much. Obviously, you do gain when he makes two small pair and pays you off. You don't gain anything when he makes a low, and you might lose a little to the rake (I don't know the rake structure in this game).

greenage
01-16-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When both of the low draws catch Eights, it becomes fairly likely that you're up against two four-card lows. At least one of them is bound to get there, and you won't be able to get them off of there hands no matter what you do. I'd probably check and call. I'd also check and call one bet on fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

A problem I’ve had forever is when to back off if I start a hand aggressively.

You and bugstud are probably right that I played this too fast.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you take your foot off the gas because the Jack scared you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the Jack didn’t scare me. It was holding a single pair on 6th that did it. It was heads-up now and I figured I’d take a breath. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe Seat 8 will tell me something about his hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Given how the hand went down, I guess the river bet is OK, but it may not gain you much. Obviously, you do gain when he makes two small pair and pays you off. You don't gain anything when he makes a low, and you might lose a little to the rake (I don't know the rake structure in this game).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t pay much attention to rake structure, too busy trying not to screw up my hands I guess. Just checked and there is no rake taken until the pot gets to $5, no rake on this hand.

Results in white:

<font color="white">Seat 8: mucked [7d 7c 5c 8h 3h Jc Js] - phew.
</font>

Thanks,
greenage

Chris Daddy Cool
01-16-2005, 06:50 PM
are you checkcalling 7th if you don't improve? or checkfolding?

some may argue for betting 7th unimproved because you'll chop with a low and you may fold out a small two-pair, though i don' think that's very likely in these games.

all that said, i don't think i'd have enough guts to bet 4th and 5th because i'm likely against two lows and don't want to get trapped into a raising war between the two if they see that i have no chance at their half of the pot or whatever crazy things stud8 players think.

Andy B
01-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Nobody's folding two pair on the river.

greenage
01-16-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are you checkcalling 7th if you don't improve? or checkfolding?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a general case I think check-folding is probably correct. I don’t see him betting his low or anything less than 2-pair.

[ QUOTE ]
some may argue for betting 7th unimproved because you'll chop with a low and you may fold out a small two-pair, though i don' think that's very likely in these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think it’s very likely either. I doubt he folds 2-pair, but he may not bet them either.

[ QUOTE ]
all that said, i don't think i'd have enough guts to bet 4th and 5th because i'm likely against two lows and don't want to get trapped into a raising war between the two if they see that i have no chance at their half of the pot or whatever crazy things stud8 players think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a micro-limit table and most players are so passive that I sometimes trap myself.

I think I see that I put too much money in a hand where my only shot was at high. If any of these guys had raised me I would have been hard pressed to continue.

Thank you.

Andy B
01-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Mightn't he bet a low on the river in the hopes that you might fold one pair? I always do, but then again, the rake is almost always maxed out in my games before the river.

greenage
01-16-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mightn't he bet a low on the river in the hopes that you might fold one pair? I always do, but then again, the rake is almost always maxed out in my games before the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

He might but I think I need a read on him. OTOH, maybe I shouldn’t fold for one bet no matter what, I don’t really know. It’s a 6 BB pot and if I’ve never seen him bet his low on the river do I have a call?

Reminds me of a recent hand, don’t recall what I was going for but had only a pair of deuces on the river. It’s HU and this low has been betting into me. He bets, I call and win the high to the chat of loooooooool. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I’m not sure how many players pay attention to the rake. I don’t and maybe need to start since I almost always bet with a good low on 7th. It’s surprising how many folds I get or overcalls by weaker lows.

Andy B
01-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Well, gosh, what would he bet on the river? If your hand doesn't have a 25% chance of being good when he bets, you can't call, but I've got to think it's better than 25%.

I call on the end with small pairs all the time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenage
01-16-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, gosh, what would he bet on the river? If your hand doesn't have a 25% chance of being good when he bets, you can't call, but I've got to think it's better than 25%.

I call on the end with small pairs all the time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But you play mostly live and not micro-limits.

I don’t really know what I’m doing but it seems like there are players that push their lows and mostly others that don’t. I have been berated because I pushed my good low.

If a player is not the type to push his low or bet w/o a very strong hand, and he bets into my single pair I think I have to figure I’m beat more that 25% of the time.

It depends so much on the player because, I think, they are better defined at los-micros.

I feel like a fool here, because I really can’t answer this theoretical question, sorry.

greenage
01-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Are you playing right now?????

Andy B
01-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah. I play bad. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

greenage
01-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Not sure, but I think your getting sucked out on.

But, I'm kind of nervous.

greenage
01-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Sorry to see you go.

May post some of my sucky hands tomorrow, hope I can find my 7th street bluff, that is precious if not stupid.

Night