PDA

View Full Version : Overly agressive with snowmen?

mtdoak
01-15-2005, 04:46 PM
The flop 3 bet way out of line? I was trying to get some free cards to make my set, obviously it didn't work.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Nick C
01-15-2005, 07:06 PM
I'd probably just fold to the flop checkraise. A lot of Party 2/4 limping hands contain a jack.

Anyway, your chances of improving to a set or a weak flush aren't very good. If you're behind on the flop, I don't think your outs are worth chasing, in this small pot. Your flop 3-bet potentially could get you to showdown more cheaply, it's true, but I think there needs to be a decent chance you're ahead of something like a worse pocket pair or a suited ace to make the flop 3-bet worthwhile.

If I did 3-bet the flop, I think I'd also bet if checked to on the turn (and fold to a raise), with the plan of checking behind on the river, unimproved. On the flop, I believe you'll have fewer outs on average when you're behind than your opponent will when he's behind (since he could be checkraising, say, an ace-high flush draw, which will frequently go on to beat you).

DeeJ
01-16-2005, 03:24 PM
This depends on the opponent, and what he will limp utg with. Is he loose or tight?

Against a total unknown I'm likely playing it the same as you (but calling rather than 3-betting the flop), because there's only one overcard and the flush looks unlikely.

It would be cool if you hit,
But I not like things one bit!

Redeye
01-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I think I'd just call UTGs c/r and call down. I like having the 8h in this case since if he does have a J he's less likely to have a heart.

sfwusc
01-16-2005, 04:03 PM
i dont reaise this preflop and i check/fold that flop.

Set value/over pair value only with 88

SFWUSC

chesspain
01-16-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont reaise this preflop and i check/fold that flop.

Set value/over pair value only with 88

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really terrible advice.

sfwusc
01-16-2005, 04:17 PM
maybe with reads and being able to play post flop really well. you could raise preflop.

I bet you the other player has a him beat on the flop.

StellarWind
01-16-2005, 04:31 PM
This is a hard flop to hit and you brought a pair with you. I don't think you can fold this hand without a read.

On the other hand I don't think I'm the favorite either. More often than not I am behind. He also has the better of the outs. I only have two outs when I'm behind but he likely has six and could have up to fifteen.

Don't put extra bets in. Call the checkraise, call the turn, and call the river. Bet behind him if he checks because you don't want to give a free card to a worse hand. Put exactly one more bet in on each big street and show your hand down. This minimizes your losses while preserving your interest in the pot.