PDA

View Full Version : Poker Seminars

k8as8ey
01-15-2005, 03:14 PM
With all the new interest in poker, I was thinking of putting on a local poker seminar. Nothing too involved. Geared more for the beginning players. Maybe charge ~$100 for an hour presentation. Seems if people will pay $20 for a WPT hat, they might be willing to invest a little to learn the game. After all, it wasn't the gold miners you became rich in "49, it was the guys who sold the picks and shovels. Anyone know of someone starting their own seminars or classes? I'd like to get some ideas about hoe to set it up.

Dynasty
01-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Why would somebody pay you $100 for a seminar? Have you got the credentials to charge such a high hourly fee? If people want to invest to learn the game, they could get 4 quality books for that price.

[ QUOTE ]
After all, it wasn't the gold miners you became rich in "49, it was the guys who sold the picks and shovels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

k8as8ey
01-15-2005, 11:45 PM
OK, $50. I'd have to see what kind of response I'd get. As far as credentials, I'm not talking about advanced strategies. Just something just about anyone on this forum could teach. The fact that you take the time to read anything about poker means you're ahead of 80% of the crowd. There are tons of new players who barely know the rules. This all started a week ago when two of my friends were going to enter a tourney. $100 buy-in and they were asking if a straight beat a flush. If they're willing to spend that kind of money just to enter a tournement, they might spend a few bucks to learn the game. Sure it would be a tougher sell in Vegas, but not in East Jesus, Iowa. Most people like to have things taught to them. You'd get a nice binder, a powerpoint presentation and maybe a free T-shirt. Of all the books sold by 2+2, how many do you think are actually read from cover to cover?

snowbank
01-16-2005, 01:43 AM
If you were going to do this, maybe you would want to bring in a reputable poker player or something. Maybe you are a good player, I don't know, but wouldn't it stink if some random 2+2er was in the crowd and you didn't know the answer to any of their poker questions? Maybe you want to give a fee to a well-known pro, and make money off however many seats you sell.

Stork
01-16-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After all, it wasn't the gold miners you became rich in "49, it was the guys who sold the picks and shovels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can vouch for this with heresay and rumor.

Soviet Exile
01-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Link?

He's right. Try this one: http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/a_c/crocker.htm