PDA

View Full Version : Heads up Play, When to just call from SB (Pre-Flop)?

RainDog
01-15-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm quite a newbie at heads up play, but I've had the most success raising any playable hand from SB. So unless I'm trying to mix up play against a player that never folds BB against my raises then I either Fold or Raise from SB (never just call). Is this wrong or do I need to stay aggressive.

Jay845
01-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Bump, as I am interested in this question as well

RainDog
01-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Bump...

Is it bad etiquitte to bump your own posts? Well, I figured there's two of us interested now. I'll only do it once. I really thought there would be a quick answer or two for this question.

Yads
01-18-2005, 11:50 AM
If I can't steal often enough I'll usually just limp in with cards that are likely 50/50 against my opponent like Q3 type hands.

kelvin474
01-18-2005, 12:08 PM
ew. Q3? If we're playing 5-10, your getting better than 2:1 on a call but you don't close the action preflop. You will be out of position on each postflop round and that ugly turd 3 will lose to random crapola. I hate the smallest cards because they make a pair and still lose too much IMO. In a section of HPFAP there is mention that even shorthanded, hands with a deuce or trey can still be trouble, since they lose so frequently when your opponent pairs. Is anyone playing Q3 profitably out of the SB by openlimping?

sqvirrel
01-18-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I can't steal often enough I'll usually just limp in with cards that are likely 50/50 against my opponent like Q3 type hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

But hands like that aren't 50/50 against the board since you will only hit the flop 1/3 of the time. What do you do with a T84 rainbow flop? A KJ7 flop?

You just wasted a sixth or a third of a bet to learn nothing about your opponents hand, and you are out of position.

Raise or fold with fold being the default.

Victor
01-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Against a loose passive player who rarely raises preflop and when he does always has the good you can limp with just about any hand.

Against an aggressive opponent I am never limping. I will raise any hand like Q9 or better.