PDA

View Full Version : AKo Hand

swolfe
01-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 ($24.95)
MP2 ($88.27)
MP3 ($15.72)
CO ($38.55)
Button ($11)
SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> ($25.4)
BB ($20)
Hero ($27.7)
UTG+1 ($16)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> (poster) calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Villain calls $4.

Turn: ($12.50) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero ???

His smooth call then check could be a weaker ace, but I'm thinking it's likely somehting that beats my pair. Is this a check behind, then call a reasonable river bet?

No read on Villain. He's only been sitting there for 11 hands.

mr pink
01-15-2005, 02:42 PM
i'd bet. if he does have a weaker ace, you dont want to give him a free card to hit one of his 3 outs on the river.

peace - jeff

Whatchugondo
01-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah you have to bet this, I don't think his play is out of the ordinary for Ace with mid kicker on party. If he reraises your turn bet I would consider folding but as it stands right now there is no reason to assume your hand is beat.

BobboFitos
01-15-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His smooth call then check could be a weaker ace, but I'm thinking it's likely somehting that beats my pair. Is this a check behind, then call a reasonable river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats one way to play AK, it's pretty standard / works well. While in position being the PFR holding TPTK the two general lines are:
Raise pf, bet flop, check turn, call river OR
Raise pf, bet flop, bet turn, check behind river

It really depends on the nature of the board as to which one is better. Since you picked up a draw to the nuts on the turn I prefer line 1 a little better in this particular hand, (obviously raising if you hit a Q) but both work well.

swolfe
01-15-2005, 05:30 PM
i bet the turn, he called, then lead out all in on a blank river for $9 into a ~$32 pot. i called and he showed KQs for the turned straight.

i'm thinking that the check behind may have been a better play simply because of how short the stacks are. pretty much any kind of bet on turn commits me.

or should i not have called his river bet?

BobboFitos
01-16-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i bet the turn, he called, then lead out all in on a blank river for $9 into a ~$32 pot. i called and he showed KQs for the turned straight.

i'm thinking that the check behind may have been a better play simply because of how short the stacks are. pretty much any kind of bet on turn commits me.

or should i not have called his river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, on this particular board I would've checked the turn.

No, you're calling the river unless a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits.

He called a potbet w/ gutshot. I would've taken a street off on the turn which would allow you to not play for your stack / get more value out of busted hands, but as played, it just happens. sorry.

fimbulwinter
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
this is another one of those "the majority of the time I'm ahead, but this time the fish sucked out" threads. yes, he won this one, but, even if he KNEW you couldn't get away from your hand AND that your hand would be drawing dead on the turn, he doesn't have odds to go on this draw.

and that's giving him the benefit of a perfect scenario W/R to the above two statements.

just like "he pushed all-in on my set with a flush draw and sucked out" and "help, my AA got all-in preflop and lost, should I play differently?", this is a hand that you need to just keep playing, as it's making you BIG money long term.

read this hand for some more bitching:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ssplnlpoker&amp;Number=154 6729&amp;fpart=1&amp;PHPSESSID=

Think about this situation in the following context:

If you could play at a table where every hand everyone was all in preflop and you could choose to either call or fold, would you play there? remember that this means even when you have AA you won't win a majority of the time...

bash them primates!
fim