PDA

View Full Version : First Royal Flush, more aggression on flop?

Zoelef
01-15-2005, 01:50 PM
This happened around my 100th hand of Ring NL, maybe 2-3k hands overall.
(0.01/0.02 NLHE Paradise, 8-handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($2.33)
MP2 ($0.48)
CO ($3.01)
Button ($2.03)
SB ($0.34)
BB ($2.24)
UTG ($1.86)
UTG+1 ($2.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.01.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.12) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.10</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($0.52) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.22 (all-in)</font>, BB calls $0.22, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $0.22.

River: ($1.18) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.50</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $1.68

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ts Qh (straight flush, ace high).
SB has Qd 5c (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins $1.68. </font>
----
I didn't play agressively until the river because I worried about straight draws (AK, then Kx) but couldn't conceive of a proper reason to ditch top/bottom pair, nor the potential flush after the turn.

Thoughts? Even *gasp* fold this preflop?

David04
01-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Fold preflop.

But since you didn't fold, I think you HAVE to raise the flop. I'm not putting anyone on a straight, and you have to charge people to draw.

Congratulations though.

Edit-I see one thing that REALLY worries me...you said you didn't play aggressively until the river, because of possible draws. Do you have any reason to believe that anyone would slowplay AK here(89 is a possbility too, but given the flop action I don't think anyone has a straight)?

I would have raised the flop, slowed down a little on the turn, and (obviously) bet the river.

But if straight DRAWS have you worried, you are playing too passively. Charge people to draw.It's not hard to get aggressive with the stone cold nuts.

Zoelef
01-15-2005, 02:37 PM
You're right, not raising this flop out of fear of running into a straight is very, very stupid. I don't know why I allowed myself to be paralyzed over a potential AK, but oh well.

ansky451
01-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Precisely because you think draws are possible, you have to raise the flop. chances are slim that you're behind on that flop, and 4/5 times, a reraise would be in order IMO. On a side note, fold preflop- QTo is crap.

Kaz The Original
01-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Nice win.

It is very important to A)
Play hands that play easier post flop. Q10o is not one of those hands.
B) Charge draws the max. You often get a fair bit of money here against KQ, JK etc.

boondockst
01-16-2005, 07:26 AM
maybe i'm way off here...but if you're worried about the straight via AK or 89 that's fine but you still need to put opponents on other hands....what you don't want is to just call that flop and have a 9 come or that Ace! now a guy with K4o has a straight....you gotta factor in your fold equity if you raise on the flop in your decision...if someone doesn't have the str8 already you are making them pay the wrong price to draw for it.