PDA

View Full Version : In the Game Last...

10-31-2001, 04:45 PM
on the game winning hit, I thought the left fielder could have caught that ball. He seemed to pull up at the last minute and let it drop in. I thought he could have caught it. I think he has to try to make the play there. Was just wondering if others think he could have caught it.--Big Al--

10-31-2001, 05:19 PM
Gonzo should have dove for that ball, he was too close

10-31-2001, 06:06 PM
I don't even think he had to dive. He sort of circled around the ball, playing it for a single all the way. I think he misjudged it at the beginning. Had he gotten a good break, he catches the ball easily. Notice Bernie Williams (the baserunner who had been on second) was loping around 3rd base, assuming the ball was a routine out.

10-31-2001, 09:14 PM
....if you make it, you probably keep Rivera out of the game. If you miss it, the game is probably lights out with Rivera coming in anyway, so IMO, it was a no-lose situation for the left fielder. All-in-all, one of the worst fielding games I've seen in a long time - lucky for snakes Yanks ain't hitting squat. This one should've been ugly and then Gonzo's non-play wouldn't stick out as it did.