PDA

View Full Version : You post in the cut off and receive j5o

Kaz The Original
01-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Here's a hypothetical situation. You post in the CO and receive J5o. Do you now hope everyone
A) Calls to you
B) Folds to you
C) A mix in between.

Does it change if it's limit or nl?

ayecappy
01-15-2005, 09:10 AM
in improve your poker ciaffone says that he thinks its a mistake to hope for many opponents when your hand is very weak because you can win the pot by either making an uncalled bet or by showing down the best hand and a hand like j5(he uses j7o as his example in the book) has very slim chances to be best. I agree with what he wrote so ill say everyone folding. The fact that the pot is larger with your post in it speaks even more for hoping everyone folding imo.

GuyOnTilt
01-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey Kaz,

You post in the CO and receive J5o. Do you now hope everyone...

I was talking with Josh about this a couple days ago. Not about posting and getting dealt crap, but about hoping. I know this isn't going in the direction you intended, but for me this has been a very important part in the evolvement and development of my poker game. So here's a statement: I do not hope, want, or wish for anything in poker. Virtually everybody I talk poker with used to think I was being picky about terminology or wasting my energy worrying about something that didn't matter, and while it's of little importance to me that everybody agree with me on matters like this, I believe very firmly that the conscious effort I've made to improve my game in ways such as this has had a very positive impact. (I am starting to win some of my detractors over by the way.)

It's merely a difference in mindset and perhaps a very subtle one, but I've trained myself to adhere to it. My training began with very simple excercises. Don't "hope" for my flush draw to hit on the river. Don't "hope" for my opponent(s) to raise or bet or reraise when I hold the nuts or what I perceive to be the best hand. Things of this nature. That doesn't mean you shouldn't plan for these things and be ready to act or react should they occur, because you should. It's in your benefit to have your lines thought out through the end of the hand for as many possibilities as you're capable of doing. But try to train yourself to get beyond any emotions in poker, even hope. As you learn to phase these thoughts and thoughts like them out of your mind when playing poker, it will become easier and easier and you'll find more and more areas where you can implement this into your mindset.

I half-heartedly apologize for the hijack, but know that I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was important. And yes, posts like this one really belong in the Psych forum, but your initial post brought this topic to my mind.

Edit: You know what, I'm gonna move this post over to the Psych forum. Feel free to reply over there.

GoT

Cornell Fiji
01-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Don't look at your cards until the action is to you. Watch your opponents instead, your cards aren't going to change and if you are posting it probably means its your first hand so you need to get working on your reads.

-Steve

jogger08152
01-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Folded around. I'm a lot more likely to be able to beat the blinds with position than I am to flop an open-ender (which may split), 2-pair or trips.

BarronVangorToth
01-15-2005, 07:53 PM
"No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide." -- Fight Club

Piers
01-16-2005, 12:31 AM
B. Anyone calling has got a better hand than you. Most people floding have as well.