PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any good remedies for pulling 30hour poker sessions?

TStoneMBD
01-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I have trouble playing long sessions. My focus usually starts fading after 10hours. Sometimes I have to play 20hour+ sessions as all poker players do. Does anyone have any good combinations of stuff they use to increase their energy boost without messing up your body with too much caffeine? I've heard of people using a certain portion of coffee, water and juice. Anyone have any good methods?

Rudbaeck
01-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Plenty of excercise.

Eat regularly during the session, focusing on foods with slow carbohydrates for an even blood sugar level.

More exercise. Being in good shape increases insulin sensitivity, making it easier for the body to maintain a steady blood sugar level.

tylerdurden
01-15-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I have to play 20hour+ sessions as all poker players do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does someone have a gun to your head?

tek
01-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Bananas are a good fruit to eat. It keeps your blood sugar up.

Cornell Fiji
01-15-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does someone have a gun to your head?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume nobody has a 'gun to his head' but sometimes the 20/40 at TStone is so soft that it would be a crime to not continue playing. I imagine these are the situations that MBD is refering to where he is not playing at his best however he is still in a profitable situation.

I would suggest sitting out a full round once every two hours or so. Leave the poker room, do a lap around the BJ and roulette tables on the lower level, have a smoke (if you smoke) sit back down when you are 2 off the big blind and wait to post.

Also if you want to just stay awake Red Bulls are great, be careful if drinking 3+ though because you will get really jittery and it can hurt your game.

I would just suggest a 'tilt break' every few hours.

Also, maybe you might want to consider playing less speculative hands and making less plays when tired. The game that you are in can (amazingly) be beat playing Group 1 hands (im not suggesting limiting yourself to just those hands) but cut down a little bit on the harder hands to play. Although it is profitable for you to play 87s with 4 limpers on the button it is not profitable for a weaker player, when you are overtired you ARE a weaker player and might want to adjust your starting standards accordingly.

-Steve

wrto4556
01-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Crystal Meth

And alot of water

Rubeskies
01-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Hey, TStoneMBD.

I'm one of the guys that came over to you a couple of weeks ago at the 20/40 table and asked if you were a 2+2er. Sorry if that was bad judgement/timing but I didn't think those jokers would notice anything. And I understand if you are asking because of how good that 20/40 game gets. Once I had them decide they wanted to jack it up to 30/60. It was wonderful.

As for your question, there are two things I do.

1.) There is a decently priced food stand over by the Bingo Hall. Like others said, carb foods are good. I think they have fruit as well.

2.) Another thing you can do is try a power nap. If you don't know what that is, it's a short nap no more than 20 minutes long and you don't even have to sleep. Resting your eyes somewhere trying not to think about anything should accomplish almost as much. There are some nice lounges, especially the new winter garden they just built that would be perfect for this.

The power nap is a good rejuvinizer and it help get you re-focuse.

TStoneMBD
01-16-2005, 12:12 AM
bingo hall closes at 10pm, unless i got there extremely early in the day i doubt id need to get there for a late night snack, but i guess i could buy some fruit in advance if i know im gonna go a long session. ive relaxed in the lodge a few times. they have a nice lounge with dozens of couches and noone to bother you. you can hear a pindrop. sorry i wasnt so accomodating the last time you guys came up to me, i didnt recognize your 2+2 names so i didnt know what to say. next time you see me tho definitely say hi. we can go take a break over at the emerald or something.

Cheeseweasel
01-16-2005, 03:19 AM
nm

tek
01-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Taking 5 minute breaks periodically is good.

Also, bring a small sports bag with you. Have a clean shirt, eye drops, flavored water from Sam's Club, bananas and other good snakcs, tooth brush and toothpaste, shaving stuff, etc.

This idea came to me from watching The Hustler with Gleasona and Newman. Gleason played Minnesota Fats. During their marathon pool sessions, he would take breaks and get all spiffed up. He also didn't booze it up while playing.

He would return to the table fresh while Newman was deteriorating.

merzie
01-16-2005, 11:45 PM
don't drink beer it will only slow you down and make this worse. also i never buy drinks from the waitres, not that i'm cheap but i gives me a reason to walk around and get my blood flowing.

Robk
01-17-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although it is profitable for you to play 87s with 4 limpers on the button it is not profitable for a weaker player

[/ QUOTE ]

your point is well taken but your example is bad imo. this is a hand/situation that takes no judgement to play profitably.

JRegs
01-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Red Bull works pretty good, drink a can every hour or so.

I wouldn't recommend caffeine/ephedrine pills. I'll sometimes take them if I have to stay up for three days, but it's hard to concentrate, and it might give you heart problems /images/graemlins/ooo.gif If the game is really that good, I can get you some ephedrine pills if you want, so long as you're under thirty and not a pound overweight.

Sponger15SB
01-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Play for about 10, then take an 8 hour nap and keep playing.

creedofhubris
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, modafinil is superior chemical technology. Controlled substance, so you'll need to get it from shady internet sources, but it's worth the investment.

mosquito
01-19-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have trouble playing long sessions. My focus usually starts fading after 10hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, take a break after 10 hours. What's the problem?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly. Well, I have a few times when I was younger and all
that. But looking at Life, its a -EV play.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any good combinations of stuff they use to increase their energy boost without messing up your body with too much caffeine? I've heard of people using a certain portion of coffee, water and juice. Anyone have any good methods?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best energy boost is sleep, diet, exercise, and a
balanced life. D'oh.

pheasant tail (no 18)
01-20-2005, 05:12 PM
I find that sitting out a round every so often and walking outside for fresh air is key. Slot machine noises will drive you insane when in the tired zone.

If you're in a game you must stay in, missing a few hands will help, not hurt. Either you'll get the money (that hopefully your favored to get) or not. He who wears down quicker loses more than he should. Also, this time of year in Upstate has extremely eyeopening and fresh air--it should only take a few breaths to get your fill.

EdSchurr
01-24-2005, 04:04 PM
I would look into finding research on modafinil before bothering to acquire it. I read one study where modafinil was shown to be no better than caffeine at increasing alertness while sleep deprived (measured with a math or spacial test iirc). If that is the case, just go get some caffeine pills or a coffee.

Of course that's curious, as modafinil is marketed to people with narcolepsy, but perhaps it just lasts longer than caffeine.

Amphetamine on the other hand really works well. But, it's addictive and illegal. Then again, Paul Erdos took it for years (yay anecdotes).

Ray Zee
01-24-2005, 11:46 PM
i have known many players that have played long sessions regularly. they all went broke. get in that line.
all you do is end up playing most of your hours at less than peak and not being able to gauge what your status is. then end up sleeping through the games you can beat. tell me about it from the rail if you ever see me.

those that use drugs and gamble, goodbye suckers, as that is exactly what you are to good players.

TStoneMBD
01-25-2005, 12:09 AM
i agree to the no drug policy entirely, but how can you say that playing long hours is a losing proposition to all players? ive read on numerous occasions from phil ivey that he advises playing very long sessions when you have a fish in the game, and that he has done it several times in the past.

XXXXING FISH
01-25-2005, 12:10 AM
yep already taken thanks for checking

STLantny
01-25-2005, 12:20 AM
There are a lot of bodybuilding supplements that I think would benefit you if you dont abuse them. A good ECA Ephedrine/caffeine/asprin, is very good for giving pep (im not responding to ppl saying it will kill you...etc...look at that fat dehydrated baseball player, it killed him, etc, do your research and make your own conclusion etc) Liquid clenbutrx, is a very good supplement, that i used during hockey (basically a strong ECA + fat burner, dont get it confused with clenbuterol, which is v bad.) Powerdrive is a good pre-workout/poker concentration enhancer. Im getting a new supplement this week, as a replacement for an ECA, Ill let you know hit it goes. Also, t-mag.com has some very good eating tips etc, on how to keep in good shape, although its a semi hardcore strenght training/b-building site.

MMMMMM
01-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Ray Zee is exactly right and I know this from personal experience. The times I went broke over the years can basically be attributed to the habit of playing marathon sessions. More recently I haven't done it at all, and I haven't gone broke either. Plus it is nice to not feel like crap for the next couple of days for no good reason.

Get your sleep and play again tomorrow. Hell some of the same players might very well still be there in the same clothes when you return. Besides, how well can you really play when your clothes are starting to feel itchy on you.

Matt Flynn
01-25-2005, 12:32 AM
very good advice here. aside from normal amounts of caffeine, a good night's sleep, and exercise, stimulants are bad news. i played 15 hours straight of excellent poker at the WPO this month. that is the first time in my life of maintaining quality poker for longer than about ten hours. and it's a major anomaly. i've played longer many a time and won many of those, but my earn was nowhere near peak and often was negative.

maybe ted forrest can do it. everyone else is just dreaming. a while back tommy told me the secret to most poker problems for smart people was not playing too long. ring a bell?

matt

andyfox
01-25-2005, 12:35 AM
OK, so make Phil Ivey the exception. Or modify Ray's advice to: "if you don't play as well as Phil Ivey, . . . "

nolanfan34
01-25-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i agree to the no drug policy entirely, but how can you say that playing long hours is a losing proposition to all players? ive read on numerous occasions from phil ivey that he advises playing very long sessions when you have a fish in the game, and that he has done it several times in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's different because the fish that Ivey is talking about is likely a once-every-couple-of-months occurrance in the Big Game. Having a good table in a 20/40 game isn't the same. You're going to have a favorable table for that game a lot, right?

jennicide
01-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Actually, I usually can go for 3-day long for 72 hour poker sessions, but by the 2nd day...I need some sort of boost. Generally, I find some sort of Diet pill because they have tons of energy in them and they don't seem to make me wacky at the tables.

Wake up CALL
01-25-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I usually can go for 3-day long for 72 hour poker sessions, but by the 2nd day...I need some sort of boost. Generally, I find some sort of Diet pill because they have tons of energy in them and they don't seem to make me wacky at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, right.

muck_nutz
01-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Its hard for me to imagine that with all the internet poker these days and all the good live games that an extra special game comes along more often then once or twice a year. Given how small an effect that is going to have on your overall win you might be better off going home, getting some sleep, and coming back to fight another day.

And if these are sessions where you are "stuck" and feel like you need to get it back this session you should realize thats irrational and a strong indicator its time to go.

Ray Zee
01-25-2005, 12:54 AM
no way andy, i will include him and anyone else. if they play often long sessions like 30 hours they will get broke.
sure a major fish may be there, but so will be 6 or so not so fishy guys who probably came in fresh while he is in sleep deprevation.
i have never played with him so i dont know much about him. what you see on short shots on tv, doesnt represent a players real future outcome. already some of those everyone croons about are low on dough. but will likely get back on track as they get their crap back together.

jennicide
01-25-2005, 01:14 AM
lol...seriously...most people ask me..."Jen, do you ever sleep?" I really don't like sleeping much, and never did...

theBruiser500
01-25-2005, 01:34 AM
awesome

eastbay
01-25-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote "baloney." Unless you've got Larry Flynt at the table donating hundreds of thousands, save your health and sanity and keep a reasonable schedule. Overall, it's a net loser to get all screwed up trying to milk a few fish.

eastbay

sourbeaver
01-25-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

maybe ted forrest can do it. everyone else is just dreaming. a while back tommy told me the secret to most poker problems for smart people was not playing too long. ring a bell?

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's highly unlikely (read: impossible) you could maintain your a-game for as long as 30 hours, thus you'd be playing the majority of those hours on sub-par expectation rate, perhaps even negative !

** Is this you ? **

Boss : "Hey Jeff, what's happening .. yeah, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and stay overnight to work on those numbers, pro-bono, great."

Jeff : "uh, sure !"

TStoneMBD
01-25-2005, 10:17 AM
thanks for the advice, there is alot of wisdom in the later posts.

Paluka
01-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Every post I have read this week that a) sounds incredibally immature b) makes absurd assumptions about life/poker/whatever and c) makes $20/$40 holdem sound like the Holy Grail of poker comes from TStoneMBC.
Dude you have to get a grip. A little success in a live $20/$40 game has you claiming you can beat the stock market one day and has you looking for things you can put into your body to stay awake for unnatural periods of time in another.

Rick Nebiolo
01-25-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

phil ivey plays in the very big games that tend to go for days and then break shortly after the one or two fish leave. then the game might not get started again for a few days. in order to keep the game going, everybody puts in long hours. my guess is he would be very careful if his tough opponents came into the game fresh while he was tired.

the games we play in will be just about as good tomorrow after a good nights sleep. that said, if you can do play a little longer when the game is much better than average.

~ rick

GreywolfNYC
01-25-2005, 02:59 PM
The best advice in this thread came from Ray Zee, a fact which should surprise no one. For those of you who recommended bodybuilding "supplements", ephedrine, diet pills, etc., you're total morons and I cannot wait to see you at the table. Bring lots of cash, okay?

OrangeHeat
01-25-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My focus usually starts fading after 10hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Head home after 9 hours to be safe then.

Orange

OrangeHeat
01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A little success in a live $20/$40 game

[/ QUOTE ]

TStoneMBD:

Don't take this the wrong way - just some advice! I think your a good guy and this is no way meant to be condescening.

If you are basing you "playing poker for a living" career on beating the Turning Stone 20/40 you are in for a rude awakening down the road.

After reading your play analysis the last week you lack some fundamental understanding of the game. A clear example is the thread where Stox had to explain why calling 1 bet and 2 bets cold with a pocket pair is different.

You have the luxury of time and some fairly easy money from the 20/40. Read up study and wait on your move to AC. Take some trips to poker rooms in Conneticut and Vegas to see where you really are in relation to the competition and then make a decision.

Online is one of the best ways to improve your game - you get so many more hands per hour - if you can multitable you will face so many situations over and over that they will become almost automatic.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Orange

mmcd
01-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Ray,

Is it fair to say the sometimes there will be games are soft enough such that an extended session is warranted?

A few years ago when I was in college, I used to play some monster (60-80hrs.) sessions, but I would never even consider doing anything like that now. In fact, I'm not sure I'm even physically capable anymore. When I play live, I'll often play 10-16 hour sessions and I don't think my play really deterioates that much. Online, I usually try to keep them in the neighborhood of 5-8hrs.

Still, if the situation were right, I think I can manage a 24 hour session without my play deteriorating so much that the situation becomes unprofitable for me. Some games are soft enough that my "B" or even my "C" game that might possibly emerge after 16 hours or so are sufficient to beat the game for a decent amount.

Perhaps the cumulative effect of multiple long sessions is what has the devestating effect on one's bankroll that you speak of rather than the occasional long session undertaken when conditions are right.

el kang
01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Modafinil (Provigil) is a very effective drug for staying alert. Read up on it, talk to your doctor (who will probably not know that much about it). I don't agree with some of the posts on it here. I have used it and found it highly effective for eliminating drowsiness and keeping my mind sharp without side effects. Others I know who use it (nurses, shift workers) needed to go the bathroom more often and alcohol can exacerbate side effects, but I feel that doctor supervision and personal experience is best.

muck_nutz
01-25-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
those that use drugs and gamble, goodbye suckers, as that is exactly what you are to good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a pretty strong statement. Things like beta blockers not only have a medicinal value but seem to reduce the flight/fight reaction. Some psyche drugs allow people with odd brain chemistry to deal with the world in a rational world. That last point might be extended to include certain recreational drugs that people use to self medicate their brain chemistry.

Most that use recreational drugs including caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol together wtih meth/coke/etc. are reduceing their ability to play.

XXXXING FISH
01-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Re: Anyone have any good remedies for pulling 30hour poker sessions?

take 9 hours naps every 15 hours. when done effectively you can run 96 or maybe even 120 hour sessions

ggbman
01-25-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Re: Anyone have any good remedies for pulling 30hour poker sessions?

take 9 hours naps every 15 hours. when done effectively you can run 96 or maybe even 120 hour sessions

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

TStoneMBD
01-26-2005, 12:17 AM
lol. nice post.

thanks orangeheat for the kind words. i couldnt find the stoxtrader post you were referring to within 3 weeks of the archives of the forum. could you link me to it? ive done very well at the other casinos ive been at, like fw, borgata, tm, but i know that tstone 20/40 doesnt constitute me as a good player. i used to take a much more unbiased opinion on these forums, with my eyes open, but lately ive been annoyed by the lack of quality posts here and have taken a much firmer standpoint because of it. my confidence has also grown over the past couple of months, in which i used to feel unsure about my opinions, but lately have a firm opinion on my grasp of fundamental strategy whether it contradicts some of the thoughts of the players on this forum or not.

paluka: youre an idiot. if you hadnt noticed, i wasnt looking for drugs to inject into my body with the inquiry of this post. i was looking for tips on certain beverages, necessary napping, and other health-related tips to maintain a healthy lifestyle while not burning out. i think the intentions of my post were genuine and alot of wisdom was spread by many posters here with something valuable to say. thanks for contributing your misconstrued opinion of what my post implies, in a way only to insult me for your own amusement. i appreciate the time youve spent responding to my posts with something constructive to say. thanks a bundle.

OrangeHeat
01-26-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
couldnt find the stoxtrader post you were referring to within 3 weeks of the archives of the forum. could you link me to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Linkie (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=mediumholdem&Number=15 17418&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Lim it=25&Main=1509938&Search=true&where=&Name=4969&da terange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype= &bodyprev=#Post1517418)

Was about why calling two cold with 78s is different than calling 1. Stox used a set as an example to explain.

[ QUOTE ]
by the lack of quality posts here and have taken a much firmer standpoint because of it. my confidence has also grown over the past couple of months, in which i used to feel unsure about my opinions, but lately have a firm opinion on my grasp of fundamental strategy whether it contradicts some of the thoughts of the players on this forum or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be careful. I have lurking here since '98 and every day I find I know little in comparison to some of the posters. Just have to sort the good from the bad - pretty much always been that way.

Good Luck,

Orange

anduril
01-26-2005, 09:54 AM
thats exactly what you want to avoid since spiking your blood sugar with a banana, which has about 20g of sugar in it, will cause a drop in blood sugar which leads to grogginess and sleepiness.

tek
01-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Everything has sugar in it these days. At least bananas are good for you. I don't get sleepy from them.