PDA

View Full Version : Waiting to raise a safe turn kinnda fails

Chairman Wood
01-15-2005, 06:03 AM
SB is 30 VPIP or so can't remember anything else about. MP3 was big fish 70 VPIP or so. Plan was to raise a safe turn card and I would have had the bet not come from SB. Should I have raised anyway? Other suggestions?
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (12 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (8 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Shillx
01-15-2005, 06:05 AM
Boo raise the flop dude. "Big fish" can't be counted on to bet two streets in a row. If they do, you are probably toast anyway.

Brad

MCS
01-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Raise the flop. A raise will protect your hand just fine; the pot isn't THAT big.

SB's bet on the turn is weird. If he has a 4, why isn't he checkraising? I probably just call though, because you are definitely getting 3-bet if he has a 4 and if that's the case you don't have many outs.

Rudbaeck
01-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Raise the flop, it protects your hand just fine. Next player will get 7.5:1 on his call.

Seeing that you didn't, you have to raise the turn.

Chairman Wood
01-15-2005, 06:25 AM
See I wasn't sure if it did protect my hand. I thought 7.5 to one, two over cards still are correct to draw. I thought about raising the turn, but I thought if 3-bet I'm screwed and I also probably lose MP3

MCS
01-15-2005, 06:35 AM
7.5-1 is about the odds of spiking an overcard. So they only want to draw to their overcards if all their outs are clean, which they're usually not.

More importantly, top pair doesn't even have enough outs to call you if you raise, but it will anyway. It may even reraise. Gutshot draws also should fold.

SamIAm
01-16-2005, 06:01 PM
I definitely raise that flop. I couldn't imagine a better setup. You have a bet immediately before you, but you want to give everybody a chance to call one more? Seems pretty silly. Make them pay 2, if you have the overpair.
-Sam

StellarWind
01-16-2005, 07:34 PM
When a baseball player gets a hanging curveball like that flop bet, he hits it. He doesn't wait and hope the pitcher throws another one. Totally awful to just call with this size pot and no guarentee of getting another chance.

Often this type of turn bet by SB when the board pairs is based on one pair. The bet prevents a free card and can cause panic folds. SB hopes that the board pairing will prevent anyone from raising. Of course a four is certainly possible. Betting out with trips is what I would do everytime.

At 2-1 odds I would risk the raise and fold to a 3-bet. With only 2 outs I am not unduly concerned about not seeing the river.

DeeJ
01-16-2005, 07:38 PM
You gotta raise that flop.

Against multi players, it's not as if you aren't gonna be afraid of Jacks, Queens, Kings, Aces, Fours, Sevens, Nines or diamonds /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernie
01-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Raise the flop. It's close as anyone behind is looking at 7+ - 1 on their coldcall. If 2 more players were in, or a couple players in between you and the raiser, I might wait to the turn.

Raise the turn. If 3 bet, fold.

b

Schizo
01-16-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Raise the turn. If 3 bet, fold.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Say hero didn't have position and hero was 3 bet on flop. What does hero do on turn now? Same cards.

bernie
01-17-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Say hero didn't have position and hero was 3 bet on flop. What does hero do on turn now? Same cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he c/r'ing and getting 3 bet? Not sure in what context this would be happening.

b

ThePenguin
01-17-2005, 04:39 AM
Raise the flop and bet/raise the turn. Chances are its checked to you on the turn. I think you should punish top pair here. I wouldnt slow down with an overpair unless played into. Also, i don't think the 4 on turn is that scary. If someone has the 4, congratulations to him and move on

Chairman Wood
01-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks a lot everyone for all the responses, i thought this was awhile ago but thanks for getting back to it everyone.

Mr. Amanti
01-17-2005, 06:50 AM
the turn was a great card ruling out the slight chance your opponant has a 4 you are now going to pummell 97s for being in your hand