PDA

View Full Version : Flop a set, but flush draw on board, push?

john smith
01-15-2005, 04:14 AM
Very early in the tournament, blinds still at 10/15. Me and villian have about 1k each in chips.

I find A-A UTG. Raise to 45. Folds over to button who cold calls, sb folds, bb calls.

As-3h-5h.

I bet 15, button calls, bb raises to 150, I reraise to 400, button folds, bb pushes.

What do I do? Is there any way I play this differently?

lorinda
01-15-2005, 04:39 AM
What do I do?

Ask the dealer politely to pair the board. Tell your cat that if the guy has 24, there's no catfood tonight.

Is there any way I play this differently?

Raise more preflop, make it worth the while of the idiot at the table (There's usually one lurking somewhere) to try to steal it.

Seems all fundamentally okay to me. His range of hands (24o, xx hearts, 33, 55, A3, A5, 35, ) is too large to worry about the ones that either might beat you if the right cards come, or are already beating you.

Lori

The Yugoslavian
01-15-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very early in the tournament, blinds still at 10/15. Me and villian have about 1k each in chips.

I find A-A UTG. Raise to 45. Folds over to button who cold calls, sb folds, bb calls.

As-3h-5h.

I bet 15, button calls, bb raises to 150, I reraise to 400, button folds, bb pushes.

What do I do? Is there any way I play this differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

You smile a big cheshire cat smile and call. If you end up losing you start up another SNG with the same smile.

I don't like the min-bet post flop -- it's just sort of pointless. I'm not sure how effective it really is in goading bets from other players. I'd either bet this and hope someone has an A to pay you off, or I'd just check/raise (which you essentially did).

Good job getting all your money in the middle on that flop.

Oh, also I'd raise more pre-flop level 1 -- it reduces your risk and/or gets more $$ into the pot. But even your preflop raise isn't really a big mistake or anything, IMO.

Yugoslav

lorinda
01-15-2005, 05:20 AM
I'm not sure how effective it really is in goading bets from other players.

In the $11s , surprisingly good.

In the $33s, surprisingly bad.

Lori

The Yugoslavian
01-15-2005, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how effective it really is in goading bets from other players.

In the $11s , surprisingly good.

In the $33s, surprisingly bad.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me as I play 33s right now, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I did wacky stuff like that back in the $11s but never figured it was necessarily good. In the 22s I learned real quick wacko stuff isn't nearly as good an idea.

Your endorsement of the level 1 min-bet post flop in teh $11s is good enough for me -- I'm sold, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

Myst
01-15-2005, 08:04 AM
I think your PF raise is too small. A 75 PF raise is more likely to get small pocket pairs to fold than a 45 PF raise. A 45 PF raise generally prices in a stack to correctly call to hit his set.

Postflop, the minibet is a WEAK play, especially when you going higher up on the SNG ladder. I think the best play is to lead out at this pot (pot size bet), because most players would not semibluff at this pot and would call your 15 chip in hopes of drawing out on you.