PDA

View Full Version : moving toward cash...

pryor15
01-15-2005, 03:39 AM
1st ever post...

I'm generally a tourney player, where I'm nearly always in or around the money, but whenever I play cash games online I invariably lose whatever I buy in for. Live cash games I generally do well. Has anyone else struggled w/ this and/or have any general tips?

thanks

TheWorstPlayer
01-15-2005, 08:42 AM
I think your question is a bit too vague for people to really comment on it. Maybe you have a specific scenario which you feel might be different between tourneys and ring games that we could comment on, or a more specific question? One of the best ways to improve is to post specific hands where you are uncertain of your play.

excession
01-15-2005, 09:21 AM
I had this issue when I switched from SnG's to Ring.

The biggest thing was that I wasn't rebuying immediately my stack got to 80% of the max buy in but when I lost a biggish hand was treating it like I was short-stacked in a tourney and gambling it up. Also I just took the first tables that came along and stayed on them (after all you can't pick your tables in an SnG or MTT).

So I'd suggest lots of patience (no rising blinds), ability to maintain stack and ability to walk away at any time (to finish the session or to another better table) are the 3 biggest differences.

OH also you can get great reads in Ring games using PT/GT+ - harder in tournies..

boondockst
01-15-2005, 09:28 AM
maybe your bluffing skills aren't as applicable online in cash games? depending on your level....some guys are bankrolled pretty heavy for how bad they play...so maybe you have to play more straightforward

Kips Bay Kid
01-15-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe your bluffing skills aren't as applicable online in cash games? depending on your level....some guys are bankrolled pretty heavy for how bad they play...so maybe you have to play more straightforward

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably it, bluffing does not get the same value in ring games, you may be (semi-) bluffing too much.

lil_o
01-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Stick to Phil Hellmuth's no-limit 15: AA-22, AK and AQ and you'll be okay.

istewart
01-15-2005, 05:18 PM
If you're playing against your typical loose calling stations, just show them a hand. Wait for the long run.