PDA

View Full Version : Loose Passive games

vmacosta
01-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Let me start by saying that I usually play in Bay Area BM low-mid limit Holdem games which are typically very loose and fairly aggressive. This hand comes from a strangely passive 6/12 game where the blinds are 6$,2$,2$ and there has rarely been even a single PF raise made by anyone other than me and a prop (and people are just calling the turn with 2-pair!). However it seems like everyone is going to the river with as little as an overcard! MP limps, cutoff limps, I am on button (2$ blind) with
3/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and call
Mistake #1?
SB completes, BB checks, flop is:
4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets, BB calls, both limpers call, I call.
Mistake #2?
The rest of the hand was fairly straightforward but this should be enough to get some dialogue about LP game startegy.

Chairman Wood
01-15-2005, 01:38 AM
I have never played in a game like that so I don't really know what it's like but I'll try to adjust.
Preflop: I think this is a mistake. Your hand is worth close to nothing, the pot isn't all that big. I think I would compare this situation (maybe wrongly) to calling a raise when posting from the cutoff in a normally structured game. Which with your trash hand I would never do.
Flop: You are getting 9 to 1. This all depends on how you value your outs. On first glance it appears you have 5 outs requiring about 8.2 to 1 from the pot for you to call. So a call would be good right? On closer look, your 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, may not be good as it may give someone a flush (but not always) and you are very vunerable to a redraw. On average I would value you as having 4 outs (I think I may even be a little giving here). 4 outs, you would need 10.5 to 1 from the pot which you are not getting so I think this is another mistake.

vmacosta
01-15-2005, 02:10 AM
I like your line of reasoning and I wouldn't consider making either of these plays in a tough game. However this game was so ideal that I thought I could turn this hand into positive EV for only two more chips on the button. My thinking on the flop was that I had such good control over the game and people were paying off with such weak holdings that I was fairly certain I could get at least 5 and perhaps as many as 8 BB if I hit my hand and it held up...the point about the 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif is duly noted and the only reason why I bothered posting that part of the hand...but is the PF call really impossible to make up?