PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Headache/Heartache

fyodor
01-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Watched the last part of California Split again over dinner. If you haven't seen it, great film. Elliott Gould and George Segal go to Reno and the last part is a big rush Segal goes on - first at poker, then blackjack, then roulette and finally craps with Gould at his side.

So then I sit down at 4 tables of 5/10 and go on a nice little rush myself. Hitting trips all over the place. Everything holding up. Even my bluffs are working. 195 hands in and I'm up $500.

A little sample from one table:
I open raise AcKh UTG. Only the BB calls. 2hAhTd bet call 9h bet raise reraise call 5s bet call - he shows As7s & MHIG
Very next hand so I am now BB and he is now SB - Folded to him & he completes. I raise AhKs call JhKc6s bet raise call 5c check bet call Ac bet raise reraise call - he shows Ad8d & MHIG
2 hands later I am now Button and he is CO - Folded to him & he limps. I raise QdTh BB calls and CO calls. Kc7dAh check fold!!!!! He wanted no more of me I guess. I bet and BB folds too.

So after the beating I took a month ago I am now running great and I decide to give the 10/20 a shot again while I'm hot. It worked in the movie. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I sit down at 4 tables and 160 hands later the $500 is all but gone. I kept about $60. It wasn't all losses but I got sucked out on so much I just couldn't take it.

A nice example: Loose player raises UTG. Looser player reraises. I cap in the CO with black Queens. Everyone else folds. They both call. 6hTh9d bet call raise call call 7s check check bet fold call 8h bet call - he shows AcJd for the rivered gutshot. In all fairness he had the odds to call all the way.

The hand that finally got me to quit wasn't even a big loss or a suckout. Folded to the SB who completes and only has $22.50 left in front of him. I check with 9d4h Flop comes 9sAd9c I flopped trips. Too bad he's almost broke. check bet call 3h check bet raise all-in call 2d - he flips over 9h8d and his garbage hand outkicks my garbage hand HU

So real life just ain't like the movies.

DrGutshot
01-15-2005, 12:40 AM
if you're moving up limits i recommend playing max. 2 tables unless you have datamined hardcore and have great notes. 10/20 is packed with huge LAGS/ huge TAGS/ and just a few in between, it is key to know who is who.

-22 big bets, you know that this is just a tiny swing. Don't worry about it. If you bankroll permits it, you're probably OK to stick with it.

Also, don't count on a good swing at a lower limit to boost you up to the next level, only play what you're totally comfortable with.

-DrG

also - sorry to hear your shot at 10/20 didn't go so well /images/graemlins/frown.gif i'm sure you know full well that the swings at 10/20 can be even greater than 5/10. Stick with it (if your bankroll permits) and i'm sure you can crush it. Just check out this hand-

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to me [ 2h Qc ]
guy1 raises [$20].
x folds.
x folds.
crazydude: now amplaying
crazydude raises [$30].
x folds.
me folds.
guy1 calls [$10].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8s, 7c, 9c ]
crazydude bets [$10].
guy1 raises [$20].
crazydude raises [$20].
guy1 calls [$10].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Td ]
guy1 checks.
crazydude bets [$20].
guy1 calls [$20].
** Dealing River ** [ As ]
guy1 checks.
crazydude bets [$20].
guy1 raises [$40].
crazydude raises [$40].
guy1 raises [$40].
crazydude calls [$20].
guy1 shows [ Jh, Th ] a straight, seven to jack.
crazydude doesn't show [ Qd, 5s ] high card ace.
guy1 wins $353 from the main pot with a straight, seven to jack.

too bad these guys aren't around more...

fyodor
01-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Believe me I know about swings. This wasn't a story about that. I have also played 30k plus hands of 10/20 4 tabling and I have a decent size database.

It was just a little story about a rush gone wrong. Thought someone might be amused. (not you though diablo - I know better)

fyodor
01-15-2005, 04:28 AM
So I pick the girlfriend up at work. We stop at a bar. Have a few drinks. Come back. I decide to play a few more hands. (So sue me - we've been together forever) Anyhow I put in another 200 hands of 5/10 and win $375.

This is the way it always seems to go. Am I that brilliant at 5/10 and that stupid at 10/20? I know I've put in about 125,000 hands of 5/10 and it's just a joke at this point. And I've only put in 30,000 of 10/20 but I just keep losing at that level.

One of these days though. One of these days.

kiddo
01-15-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only put in 30,000 of 10/20 but I just keep losing at that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

U have to play different at 10/20 because the players play differnt. U will never learn how to do it if u 4table. U have to know how to beat 1 or 2 tables before u can autoplay at 4.

TazQ
01-15-2005, 10:43 PM
When you hit $10k move to 10/20 and never go back.