PDA

View Full Version : Q8 from the big blind

Argus
01-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Button is a LAG, but I hadn't been at this table long so I'm not sure how good he is. The rest of the players are pretty passive postflop, but there'd been an average amount of preflop raising. (The tighest player at the table besides myself folded preflop.) I'm never sure how to play when I flop a moderate hand in the blinds and I'm hoping someone can tell me if I did this right.

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Son of a Gun is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Son of a Gun checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Son of a Gun bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Son of a Gun calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.
<font color="#330099">I figure I should bet top pair to avoid a free card, but perhaps a checkraise is better? I can be pretty sure the Button will bet, but I consider it a catastrophe for my hand if it gets checked through. And since I got raised, should I reraise? If I do, why?</font>

Turn: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Son of a Gun checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, Son of a Gun calls.
<font color="#330099">I know the Button is loose, but I never saw him showdown nothing and he was winning more than his share while I was at the table. Because of this I'm content to call down against a possible better pair (JT or something like that) or rarely a janky straight. Should I still be betting here?</font>

River: (11 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Son of a Gun checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Son of a Gun raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.
<font color="#330099">The check is to set up a checkraise; I know I have some bettors and I'm pretty sure that two pair will take it home. Sometimes I lose to a straight, but I don't smell a slowplayed set.</font>
Final Pot: 17 BB

Any other comments are of course welcome.
Thank you

Peter Harris
01-14-2005, 11:59 PM
If button is a LAG, I would 3-bet the flop as they would raise with overcards, any 6 and a flush draw.

The rest is fine. Nicely played.

Sorry to those who've missed me (?). Uni work a big drag; no poker for Peter /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Will try and drop in more often.

Regards,
Pete Harris

bonanz
01-15-2005, 06:17 AM
I think this might be one of those spots where you check fold the flop because the board is so disgustingly coordinated with so many opponents.

im faded though /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

btw to all newcomers to the forum, take note, this is a beautifully formatted, commentd, and titled post. all of the requirements of an excellent hand post are present. nice job