PDA

View Full Version : $240 sat. to $1060 at Bellagio

Deelah
01-14-2005, 10:32 PM
1500 in starting chips, blinds at 25/50, 15 min levels. Two seats pay.

Second hand Im in the SB with J8 suited in diamonds and completes. Four players see the flop JJ5 with two spades.

I bet out 150, BB folds and MP makes it 300. Button cold calls! Oh lord what is this.. I decide to see the turn.

Turn is a blank, 6h.

I check and MP bets 200 into the 1100 pot and seems weak but then button raises to 700 and I just have to be beat and after a while I fold.

River is an 8.. MP checks but calls buttons last 450.
MP has A5 for a flopped pair of fives ehh.. And button has the same hand as I threw away, J8.

How did I play this hand? I was totally puzzled but felt one of them had to have at least trips and then my kicker was really bad. Maybe one of them was full already from the flop or turn after limping with a hand like 55 or 66.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

betgo
01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Weak tight.

The Yugoslavian
01-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Ugh.

Although I have no idea what the texture of those games is like. Could have been a good move for all I know. I'm not good enough to lay that down there though -- I'm gettin my chips in baby!

Yugoslav

Gramps
01-14-2005, 11:24 PM
That flop coldcall/Turn raise screams Jack/pocket 5s. Maybe some players will "make a play" here, but the coldcall/Turn raise on that board is how most people would probably play their Jack (especially with the presence of a flush draw, not going to just call Turn as well with big pot).

Since it's the button and not a BB/SB hand, it's pretty unlikely that you have him outkicked (you probably have a few draws to a win/split on the River, but not many).

I think it's a good fold. Hindsight is 20/20. J9, JT, QJ, KJ, and 55 (and not many others) are probably the most likely hands the button has absent some additional read. What the River card is irrelevant to your Turn decision.

adanthar
01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Standard.

The Yugoslavian
01-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah, are big satellites that solid live? From reading Jackpot Jay in the ACT IIs at Foxwoods I got the impression that live satellites are just random guys taking a shot at entry to a big tourny. If they're solid I fold then too. I'd fold this 55+ SNGs on party but lower I'm ramming and jamming.

Yugoslav

I can't believe I just made a hypothetical decision based on something Jay wrote -- I must be drunk....oh wait, I am!!

Deelah
01-15-2005, 08:33 AM
You fold it in a $55 SnG at Party but you get your chips in with solid guys trying to get into a $1000 tournament - I just dont get it.

Deelah
01-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks for giving me some credit for my fold. I also felt it was a good laydown cause I just couldnt think I had both guys beat. I put the button on a hand like JT or 55 and then I would have 3 outs with one card to come.

As you say it doesnt matter what the river was as the decision was made on the turn.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Myst
01-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Good fold. I probably would have laid this down on the flop though and saved myself some chips, bc there is no way a logical player would cold call a bet and raise in front of him without at least Trip Jacks.

The Yugoslavian
01-15-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You fold it in a $55 SnG at Party but you get your chips in with solid guys trying to get into a $1000 tournament - I just dont get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was drunk and wasn't paying attention much to the buyin (cardinal poker sin). Yeah, a good laydown but I doubt calling is a huge mistake either (I'm quite happy deferring to Gramps' high buyin advice here so perhaps it is a pretty bad mistake). I'm sure you can wait to get your chips in elsewhere -- you have *plenty* left.

Yugoslav