PDA

View Full Version : losing too much to monsters

maldini
01-14-2005, 09:40 PM
I've just started playing cash microlimits on Stars. have had great success at SNGs and home games with solid players. getting killed at microlimits (only 400 hands) but down 400BB during that time. Also getting killed at same rate in home game vs. aweful players. I suspect it's the same leaks. I think I slowplay too much and dont give respect to players with monsters b/c I dont think they know when to fold anyway.

Please see the hand below as an example of perhaps where I'm losing too much money to monster hands. Could anyone have gotten away from this or kept the pot smaller?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO <font color="#A500AF">(villian)</font> ($4.20)
Button ($30.35)
SB ($16.40)
BB ($5.70)
UTG ($10.45)
UTG+1 ($4)
MP1 ($13)
Hero ($5.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, CO <font color="#A500AF">(villian)</font> calls $0.10, Button calls $0.10, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.70) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.2</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $0.20, MP1 calls $0.20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, villian calls $1, Button folds, SB calls $0.80, UTG+1 calls $0.80, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($4.90) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.05 (All-In)</font>, villian calls $3.10 (All-In), SB folds, UTG+1 folds.

River: ($12.05) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $12.05

I'm really only worried about 1 hand and trying to protect against a flush draw. probably would check/fold if a spade hit on turn or river. sure enough...he shows the one hand I'm worried about. of course on the river i would have had to reevaluate the hand but was all in anyway.

tbach24
01-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Don't post UTG+1. You'll be at BB in a minute, just wait. Only thing is, I suggest raising more than the pot on the flop. There's way too many draws that could bite you.

maldini
01-14-2005, 10:29 PM
i wasnt the UTG+1. also, if i bet more than pot here, shouldnt i bet more than pot often so no info is revealed? that doesnt seem like a good idea. how much does one have to bet to make implied odds of flush draw call negative EV? seems that pot sized bet is normal. thanks

tbach24
01-14-2005, 10:34 PM
oh thats right, you weren't the poster. sorry. ok, i don't advise limping with 32s. trouble hand. two pair can be easily counterfeited. flushes arent the best. straights can be beat too with the wrong cards. basically, you got a great flop there and you still dont feel comfortable with it.

jjb108
01-14-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree, muck this. Try 78s or higher. 23s is likely to hit the bottom straight or make a lousy 2 pair. Or if you hit trips you have no kicker if someone is playing K2s or K3s. Unless you hit the wheel or a draw to the wheel, there's not much with 23s.

Daithi
01-14-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of playing 23s, but you got a good flop.

You just got unlucky on that hand. You made a reasonable flop bet and got too many callers. All-in on the turn seems right to me.

KaiShin
01-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Suited connecters are deceiving. I stay away from them as a general rule especially in low-limit loose-aggresive games. Try playing tighter and more straight up.

If I really had to play that hand, the only thing I might change is a bigger flop raise. Otherwise everything seems fine, you just got outdrawn.

maldini
01-14-2005, 11:38 PM
BTW. he turned over A-4. he had me from hello. i think the lesson is that i should not even be in the hand. i try to play more SC in microstakes passive games due to the implied odds. i think that may be my main leak. i'm just too aggressive. if i feel strongly that the other player didnt like a turn or river card i'll make a big play if it appeared to work with my hand regardless of my actual holdings. people just dont fold at this level it seems. not that this occured during this particular hand.

Do you all just play ABC poker at this level? no slowplay no bluffing? that's so boring. i guess that's why you have to play 6 tables at once, uh? thanks