PDA

View Full Version : Time to build another computer, need some suggestions

AncientPC
01-14-2005, 09:37 PM
I already have the case, monitor, and periphials picked out.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000, socket 754 (any advantages to socket 939?)

CPU Fan: Someone recommend one I can find off Newegg. Has to be quiet (not going to OC).

Mobo: Deciding between Abit NF8 or Abit KV8 Pro. I'm probably going to choose NF8 because I like the nForce2 chipset in my current computers.

RAM: Mushkin 1GB PC3200 DDR Dual Pack

HDD: Abit NF8 has onboard RAID and I have 2x WD 120GB SATA drives. Should I use raid 0 or just stand alone? Can I use IDE drives in conjunction with SATA drives?

Vid card: Radeon 9600 Pro w dual DVI (cheapest dual-DVI vid card on Newegg for $130, I don't plan on much gaming).

Optical: Sony DVD+/-RW drive.

Speakers: Can someone pick a decently priced 2.1 system?

jakethebake
01-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Make it like a robot. Robots are cool.

Steve McQueen
01-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Altec Lansing (MX5021) 2.1 100 Watt Speaker System

~$125+ shipping.

-Steve McQueen(the alter-ego who assists)

istewart
01-14-2005, 10:29 PM
If you don't plan on much gaming, go for Pentium.

Popinjay
01-14-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Altec Lansing (MX5021) 2.1 100 Watt Speaker System

~$125+ shipping.

-Steve McQueen(the alter-ego who assists)

[/ QUOTE ]

Swans M200 dominate that for $200

STLantny
01-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Im building a computer also, this is the graphics card Im using, but its overpriced on this site, you can find it for under 300$ http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=326001. I like it because I can dual monitors and output to my tv, as my apartment is small, Im getting a big old LCD or something to use w/it. I am also going with an AMD 64, but with 939 socket, thats what was reccomended to me. Also, I found a great deal on 2 gig, 2 stick corsair ram for 400$, when i get home Ill put up all the links to the various stuff I picked out.

Leo99
01-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Zalman HSF (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-101&depa=0)

Logitech higher end speakers (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-122&depa=0)

Logitech lower end (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-114&depa=0)

I'm very happy with my Logitech speakers. I have older models and they rock. Why don't you want to O/C your CPU? You picked out all top end components, don't hold things back. Just bump up the FSB and let her go. Just make sure you can monitor your cpu temps. I have a Barton 2500+ overclocked to 2.2 Mhz from the default of 1.8 mHz. It's smooth and cool (about 40C)

What do you want to achieve with your RAID? RAID 0 gives you faster speeds but if you lose one HD you lose all your data. IDE should work with RAID, they'll just appear as a seperate separate drive.

vulturesrow
01-15-2005, 12:21 AM
One good piece of advice astroglide gave me when I asked a similar question is to seriously consider a motherboard with PCI-e. This is apparently the wave of the future and will probably be a good way to stay ahead of the game. I dont anything about the motherboard you picked, so if it is PCI-e, disregard this post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wacki
01-15-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you say this? Because Intel is cool (and expensive)?

Dangergirl
01-15-2005, 02:22 AM
I think those are nice choices and definitely would also go with the AMD 64. I have one myself.

BradleyT
01-15-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.

astroglide
01-15-2005, 02:56 AM
speeze makes good cheap/quiet socket a fans, their socket 754 stuff should be good as well if you're trying to save a buck. the higher up you go on mm the more quiet it will become because it needs less rotations to generate more air. if you can accomodate and budget a 92mm fan that will work well.

you shouldn't use raid 0 because it is essentially meaningless in terms of single-user performance, and yes you can use pata drives along with sata.

logitech z3s are good affordable 2.1s that you can find in a local store (shipping subwoofers can suck).

wacki
01-15-2005, 02:59 AM
Ok, heatsink. Thermalright is the best. No questions asked. Zalman is good.

http://www.thermalright.com/
If you are going to be moving your computer around a lot, go with the lighter models (less stress on CPU), but it's really not that big of a deal.

AMD retail fans are suprisingly good though (and cheap). Since you are not overclocking/gaming, that may be the way to go.

Socket 754 is going to be phased out. Socket 939 supports dual channel ram. Socket 939 costs more now, less later. Socket 754 is cheap now, but will cost more later. It's up to you. Whatever you do, get the most feature rich mobo you can. It will save you tons of $$$ in the long run. The built in sound cards are really good so there is an easy $100 saved. If you go 939 get PCI-e. If you go 754 you won't miss PCI-e too much. PCI will be around for a while so astroglides advice, while good (as always), isn't 100% mandatory.

CPU fan? Zalman is good, Panaflo is the top choice for most serious hardware builders. 7 volt the fan is you want ultra quiet.

You can use SATA and IDE at the same time. I have 5 harddrives (1 is SATA) in my computer and they all work flawlessly. Raid 0 is pretty much pointless unless you are runner a server.

I noticed you posted this at anandtech. You should get good advice there, although I wasn't impressed by the posts I've seen there so far. It's sad, anandtech used to be my favorite place. I'm thinking about joining the arstechnica.com forums and comparing.

Mushkin is a good name in RAM. 1 gig is more than enough for you, and should do you nicely.