PDA

View Full Version : AKo - HU, King high flop...

meep_42
01-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Let him keep bluffing, or raise the turn?
I keep employing "way ahead or way behind" in situations where i'm not unsure, but that i'm sure that i'm ahead. Please chastise me.

-d

shadow29
01-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Raise the turn.

tiltaholic
01-14-2005, 06:10 PM
i'd prefer a turn raise.
while playing 4 tables, i'd probably auto-raise the flop.

droolie
01-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I play this the same way. If he bets the river, raise/ call.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree. Without a read I say he's pretty likely to hold king, which makes him wanna see a showdown. If he is on a bluff he might very well check/fold the turn anyway.

Shillx
01-14-2005, 06:21 PM
What does this do for us that raising the river doesn't? I can only think of bad things...

If we had a chance to be freerolling him, then I can understand a turn raise.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep employing "way ahead or way behind" in situations where i'm not unsure, but that i'm sure that i'm ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands are you way behind here? I don't think slowplayed AA wouldn't bet the flop. KK is not very likely either...

droolie
01-14-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I keep employing "way ahead or way behind" in situations where i'm not unsure, but that i'm sure that i'm ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands are you way behind here? I don't think slowplayed AA wouldn't bet the flop. KK is not very likely either...

[/ QUOTE ]

meep was saying he was confident he was ahead but playing the way ahead/ way behind line. The fact that you are likely ahead and virtually uncatchable is exactly why you let him continue to bet at you until you pop him on the river.

meep_42
01-14-2005, 06:29 PM
My wording was terrible -- here's the gist:

They way-ahead/way-behind line should be used when you are either way ahead and have your opponent drawing slim, or you are way behind and are drawing slim yourself. BUT, you don't know which you are. (Say you have QQ on a 37K rainbow board)

I've been using this line when I'm sure i'm ahead, like this time, and it seems to be a HUGE leak.

I just couldn't reconcile in my head where to pop him -- I don't really want him to fold on the turn, but he's unlikely to pay a river raise off unless he is drawing.

-d

meep_42
01-14-2005, 06:30 PM
So I let him bet the turn and pop the river and hope he's got something he's willing to show down?

-d

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right as usual. The only time raising the turn is good is when he would slow down with the kings on the river. By waiting to raise the river you maybe induce him to bluff one more time. Any more thing than this that's bad with raising the turn. Making him fold a king? Not very likely but maybe.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain. Take a free showdown?

Aaron W.
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
The turn is the place to raise this hand. Most likely, he'll call the turn raise with whatever he's got, and he might even call the river bet if he has QQ or JJ. Also, if he folds to the turn raise, you can expect that he would have check-folded the river. No matter what happens, you will reasonably expect to win more by raising the turn.

Raising the flop is also good if you know he likes to be agressive on flops, but will still go to the river even when he thinks he is beat. If he is like this, he will likely 3-bet the flop and lead the turn (unless you shut him down by capping the flop).

Waiting until the river to raise is almost always wrong.

Shillx
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I find it hard to believe that this guy is on a draw dude. You are either way ahead or way ahead and you don't want him to fold QQ or JJ or whatever.

droolie
01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
He thinks he's ahead until you pop him. He may call the river bet he may fold. Either way raising the turn probably costs you one bet 50% of the time when he folds. I'm actually surprised he had the foresight to check the river.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wording was terrible -- here's the gist

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading it again your wording was perfect, but thanks for the explaination!

meep_42
01-14-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He thinks he's ahead until you pop him. He may call the river bet he may fold. Either way raising the turn probably costs you one bet 50% of the time when he folds. I'm actually surprised he had the foresight to check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised he thought his Q8/images/graemlins/club.gif was good.

-d

meep_42
01-14-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that this guy is on a draw dude. You are either way ahead or way ahead and you don't want him to fold QQ or JJ or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

So... this was... dare I say... Expert play? :P

-d

droolie
01-14-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So... this was... dare I say... Expert play? :P

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

It was f[/i]ucking awesome play!

Shillx
01-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Exactly why we wait until the river. His river check/call is pretty awesome though.

Brad