PDA

View Full Version : jedinite's Divisional Playoff Picks

jedinite
01-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Well, i quit posting picks here this year about at the halfway point of the season when I was having trouble breaking past the 50% mark. Missed a week of posting, went 4/5, and decided I would respect the new streak. Yeah, I know... typical gambler's falacy. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyways, for those interested, here are my thoughts on the Divisional round. Based on lines available at time of posting:

Steelers cover the 8.5 over the J-E-T-S-jets. Road team going against a 15-1 team (who is 13-0 under Big Ben). Jets are a terrible come from behind team, and the Steelers are extremely tough at home. Also, the Jets have never won in Pittsburgh and have only beaten the Steelers twice in 17 tries overall. You'll see the Steelers build a quick lead of ~10 points and will win 30-10. Bet the volvo.

Rams +7 over the Falcons. I'm a big fan of Mike Vick. He was my second-string QB this year in fantasy football (my first stringer was McNabb). But the Rams are comfortable playing in a dome on the road. The Falcons depend on defense and a superstrong rushing attack. The Rams are still extremly high powered and they're on a roll with Bulger back. If this line were 3 I'd be playing the Vick Experience... but at +7 the play is St. Louis - and they might just win outright. Worst I see here is a push with a 7-point win by the Falcons. Rams 28 Falcons 24

Eagles -8.5 over the Vikes. Since the NFL went to a 12-team postseason field in 1990, eight No. 6s (seven in NFC) won their opening game. Every one of them lost in the next round. That team this year is Minnesota. This is one of those "everyone is taking team X, so I'm taking team Y" picks. Everyone I know loves the Vikes citing the loss of T.O. for Philly. But Philly's defense is just too good, and Minnesota's is just too pourous. I've watched every minute of every Philly game this year, thanks to NFL Ticket, and i'm very comfortable giving this many points to such a strong team as Minesota. Philly busts out a lead early and holds on to a 14-point victory despite a late touchdown by Culpepper. Eagles 126, Vikes 105.

Colts +2 over the Patsies. New England is without both starting corners going up against the best offense in the NFL. The rules changes this year have enabled Manning to blow through just about any sort of serious pressure defense, and its going to be no exception. Peyton is 0-6 at New England, and that streaks about to change... Colts 28 Pats 17.

jedinite
01-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh, and forgot to add, these are posted in terms of confidence. I'll play all four games, but at least double units on the first two games and possible four units on Pitt (4-2-1-1 probably).

jedinite
01-15-2005, 09:07 PM
loss of 4 units on pitt. right analysis on the jets inability to score on offense, didn't anticipate Ben blowing it and a massive special teams let down.

anyways... moving to 3 units StL, 2 units other two games...

sorry for the spelling, posting remotely...