PDA

View Full Version : QJo - steal attempt from the CO, Top pair, monotone flop, HU

meep_42
01-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Raise the river, stupid!
Right? (What hands that I beat call a river raise here? Q3/Q5/J3/J5?)

-d

Catt
01-14-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the river, stupid!
Right? (What hands that I beat call a river raise here? Q3/Q5/J3/J5?)

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a read, I might raise the flop, too. A reraise or a stop 'n go would probably convince me to fold, but a free card on the turn followed by the Q on the river would be welcome /images/graemlins/wink.gif

shadow29
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
I raise the turn, actually.

btspider
01-14-2005, 04:27 PM
i hope you called the flop/turn with the intent to raise most river cards? the Q changes nothing.

Jx may still call you.. he doesn't need two pair to be confused by your actions /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'd probably raise the turn here.

Catt
01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise the turn, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i'd probably raise the turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share your thinking on the turn raise? Are you thinking that Hero's hand is best and SB is defending his blind with a weak hand, waiting to the turn for the bigger bets? Charging for the flush draw that you think didn't hit on the flop?

Here was my thinking on the flop raise: a reraise and I release to a possible flush for the small pot and chalk it up to a failed steal. If called, I'm hoping for a free card on the turn, thinking Villain has: a made flush, a Jx, or crap and he's just taking offense at Hero's steal attempt.

btspider
01-14-2005, 04:43 PM
HU in a blind defense hand.. TP3K (3rd kicker) is a monster. you give your opponent too much respect for betting the flop.

the 3-flush is a bit disconcerting since even the 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif knows it only has to beat one player. Hero's hand is strong, but vulnerable, so i raise the turn since i may chase out baby hearts or at least force them to pay the turn when they may end up check-folding the river.

on a more ragged board with an aggressive opponent, waiting until the river is fine to pop him. your hand is very strong here, so you need to get a raise in somewhere as long as the board doesn't get too scary.

meep_42
01-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I like raising the turn. I think I was just seeing monsters here on the flop/turn. Still learning these HU pots (8k hands into 1/2, even!).

On the river, do I call a /images/graemlins/heart.gif (that's not the Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, I think i'd have to call that)?

-d

Catt
01-14-2005, 04:48 PM
So you prefer the flop call and turn raise? Not raising the flop? Thanks!

btspider
01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
yeah, call and pray he's value betting a weaker hand or flat out bluffing.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Raising the turn gets you an extra bet out of a single heart. I think you can safely fold to a 3-bet.