PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on some week 8 matchups

10-30-2001, 04:40 PM
Is Buffalo improving?

After beating Jacksonville on the road and NEARLY beating San Diego, I have to wonder if this team is waking up. Can we expect an upset next week in Buffalo when Indy comes to town? Johnson seems to be understanding the system better and connecting with his receivers. The defense is not great, but doing better than before.

This smells like an upset waiting to happen. The line is currently Indy -4.5 at my book. I might take Buffalo here.

How badly is Tampa going to lose this week?

I think we are possibly going to see a complete ass-whooping in Green Bay this weekend. There's just no way Tampa's offense can perform the same miracle twice in a row. Their offense is not very good, it's that simple. The pattern of the NFC central seems to be that you win at home and you get stomped on the road. With that in mind, Green Bay looks like a clear favorite here at -6.

What is happening in Carolina?

Three very close games in a row have gotten away from them. But going into Miami could be a different story. The matchups heavily favor Miami. With Carolina having a poor running game and this forcing Weinke to deliver the ball, I have a feeling Miami may run this team over and bury them finally. The problem is that it's really hard to keep a team down forever in today's NFL. This might be a dangerous bet, but I'm inclined to believe Miami will destroy Carolina.

Is there any hope for KC?

KC has shown that they are not a very good team. Trent Green can't get it done, and he never really has, not even with St. Louis. I think KC is going into a hornet's nest this week. SD is ready to make a run at the division and they believe they can do it. They've got this game circled. I thought KC might finally get it together last week but they couldn't do it. I don't expect them to do it on the road. Last week was their chance. This is going to be a long season for a struggling team.

Cleveland getting 5.5 from Chicago is also interesting but I don't know what to make of it right now. It seems like a lot of points to cover between two good defensive teams with average offenses.

natedogg

10-31-2001, 02:40 AM
The only game I will comment on is the Miami/Carolina game. I think the others could go either way. I think your assessment of that game is correct. Also, there comes a point (or a game) where a team that has been playing tough and close, but continually losing, finally really tanks one. This appears to be a spot where I think that could happen to Carolina. I think the Miami defense, at home, will completely shut this team down. I like Miami in this spot a lot. And, as I said, at some point Carolina is going to turn in a real stinker. Best of luck.--Big Al--