PDA

View Full Version : How to play JJ, QQ, KK+ when an overcard hits the flop?

SHK
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
With a JJ, QQ, KK, or AA I will raise preflop (JJ is questionable), but I'm sometimes uncertain about how to play them from the flop on. What do I do when an overcard comes on the flop or turn and there are 2-3 players in the hand? Assuming I am in middle position, what should I do? Any suggestions would be great . . . thanks guys

prayformojo
01-14-2005, 02:39 PM
The only 100% certain thing I can tell you is always raise JJ pre-flop. How to play post-flop will depend on any number of factors, but when first to act you will usually be right betting out if a single overcard hits.

When bet into, or when raised on the flop, or when up against other pre-flop aggressors, the situation becomes more complicated. Post some specific hands where this has happened and you'll get better advice.

Welcome to the forum.

SHK
01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I usually play home games with four to six other players. Next time I come upon this situation again I'll post the specific hand. Thanks again!

dantheman_05
01-14-2005, 05:51 PM
with only 4-6 otehr players you should be rasing with 88's or higher before teh flop. if an overcard comes dont assume yuour opponents have you beat, you need to pay for information. bet out, if they raise then clearly they caught a nice peice of the flop. if they just call, then clearly they are weak players. (i rarely just call after a flop i am eithe raising or folding 90% of the time) your 10's - KK's will when their fare share of pots, so bet the flop 100% of the time and bet the turn if you feel you can win the pot right there. dont be afraid to lose $ with premium hands like TT or better. its the marginal hands that seperate good players from weak. hope thi shelped sorry about the typing

SHK
01-14-2005, 06:34 PM
That's really great advice. Thanks for the tip. I'm just an average player so I often times I get a little scared when I see an overcard and just check and wait for my opponent to bet. I will try what you suggested. Thanks!

PokerSox
01-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Also, always, always, always keep in mind what you know about the players. If your home game is the same players all the time, by now you must have some kind of read on them. Quick example, you've (correctly) raised JJ preflop and the flop comes king-high with two diamonds. If someone leads into you or raises behind you, are they the kind of person who would only bet if they have the goods? Or are they the kind of player who would semi-bluff with a flush draw? Base your next action on what you know about the player. If you think he's drawing, punish him for it.