PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up outs and when to fold

hate
01-14-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm trying to clean up my calling station tendencies, which are still a big problem with me.

No reads.

Pokerroom .5/1

Hero is sitting MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks

FlopQ/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

TurnQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero ?

Piiop
01-14-2005, 01:12 PM
What happened to UTG and UTG+2 on the flop?

What happened on the turn - if the action is to you it's an easy bet.

Aaron W.
01-14-2005, 01:30 PM
There's no out cleaning going on... Readthis post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=micro&amp;Number=1284998&amp;f part=&amp;PHPSESSID=) and go through the K9 example. It's quite similar to this.

I would check-call or check-fold this flop without having a backdoor draw to go with my second pair and overcard kicker. The check-call would be if most players called the bet and check-fold otherwise. The pot is medium-sized, so the flop bet isn't bad with 7 preflop limpers, but I wouldn't make a big fuss over it.

The action looks funny, as MP3 and CO fold twice, making it look like there were more players to act behind you than there should be.

jkl
01-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Assuming your heads up on the turn. I bet out and try to take it down right there.

hate
01-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Sorry, I had to manually enter in everything. My Flop bet got me HU. I thought it was a clearcut bet/fold. Sorry about the thread title, I wasn't thinking properly. I'd just recently read the thread Ed Miller created about folding too much, and tempered with my own somewhat weaker play regarding draws, I'm still having problems.

hate
01-14-2005, 01:39 PM
So on the flop with a middle pair, no aggression pf, and the top kicker with probably 4 outs, this is a definite no-bet flop? I've been reading most of the threads recently about the same subject, and I definitely agree it's my big weakness.

Entity
01-14-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So on the flop with a middle pair, no aggression pf, and the top kicker with probably 4 outs, this is a definite no-bet flop? I've been reading most of the threads recently about the same subject, and I definitely agree it's my big weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 outs, and this isn't a definite no bet flop. However, in MP1, I don't know what % of the time you have the best hand here; I'd say it's definitely often enough to make this a value bet, but because of the flop texture, being called puts you in an awkward spot.

I'll often check to see what kind of action develops, but I don't think betting is bad here at all. The only reason the flop bet is somewhat sketchy (and I still think it's fine) is that the pot is 7-handed, putting you into a semi-awkward position on the turn, sometimes.

The only difficulty with betting this kind of flop is the semi-coordinated nature of it means players are likely to call or sometimes raise various hands here that you are ahead of, so I'd prefer to get a look on the action. With 7SB in the pot, though, I'm not check/folding this flop, and I don't think betting it is bad at all.

One thing, though: betting here isn't "cleaning up outs." It's value betting.

The Q on the turn is a great card for you, and I'd definitely bet the turn.

Rob

hate
01-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks, Entity. I was just completely unsure about how proper my play was, and situations exactly like this crop up frequently with me.

JoshuaD
01-14-2005, 07:02 PM
This is a hand I like to check and see with. I'm looking to check-raise and get it down to h2h, or have it checked through, have a blank fall, and then bet.

Like entity said, I don't like betting and getting a bunch of callers, because it puts you in a uncomfortable position.

That said, definitely bet the turn, the Q just made your hand much better. I probably fold to a raise if it comes, but I think your hand is good now.

edit: http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi is your friend. /images/graemlins/smile.gif