PDA

View Full Version : Perfectly played or begging to be sucked out on?

Go Blue
01-14-2005, 01:02 PM
So 7 people, in a live $10 tourney, just to pass time, very friendly atmosphere. Top 3 pay, we are down to 5. I pick up A9s in SB, and it's folded around to me. I raise to 3xBB...the BB thinks for a while and calls. The flop is AT9 rainbow. I quickly bet the minimum...he thinks and goes all in, and my remaining stack is about 15 times what I just bet. So I quickly call and he shows J8o. Of course, he hits and I'm out. So hence my question, was I right to try and trap here and set an opportunity for him to semibluff or should I have just bet big right away?

zaphod
01-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Is your opponent making a mistake if he just calls your minbet? I dont think so, so i think you should make a bigger bet. He might still beat you, and win but that is life. At least now he has to pay for his draw if he does not hit it.

ColdestCall
01-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, without knowing stack sizes or anything else, it looks like you made a play that enabled you to get all your chips in as a big favorite. That is usually a good play.

two_dogs
01-14-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't think it was perfectly played but it wasn't that bad. You definitely should have bet the pot or bigger on the flop but the question is did your opponent a:bluff all-in ,b:think his open ended straight draw was the best hand or c:just didn't care cause it was only ten dollars.Either way he made the mistake ,you paid the price. There is a term for that it is called "poker".