PDA

View Full Version : This will never happen again, but .... (monster hand misplayed?)

KenProspero
01-14-2005, 12:49 PM
To get to the question, how do you play a monster against a weak/tight player?

Recent game. Three left. One big stack, Hero and Villian with a bit less than 1/2 Big stack's chips each.

Big Stack is moderately aggressive.

Villian is weak/tight.

Hero BB is dealt AA.

Villian calls the bb
BigStack folds
Hero raises 3xbb, Villian calls.

Flop is AAx

Hero checks
Villian minibets
hero calls

Turn x

Hero checks
villian minibets
Hero calls

River x

Hero checks
villian checks

Ok, here's the question. After the flop, I'm obviously winning the hand, and the only question is how to extract the maximum amount of chips from villian.

Given that villian has been kind of wimpy, folding to any aggression (and he was in fact feeding chips), I had decided to check, then checkraise on the river. When villian checked the river, he must have had a draw that didn't come in -- so probably wouldn't have called a raise anyway.)

stillnotking
01-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Min-raise the turn, push on the river if called. Most weak players will pretty much auto-call a min-checkraise if they are drawing. If he hits his draw on the river, he may call a push; if not, he won't call even a small bet.

ColdestCall
01-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Looks like you played this just about right. You raised the right amount to get Villain involved in the pot, and then gave him every opportunity to make a hand, and even extracted a little more money along the way. I would have tried to sell the hand on the river by making a bet small enough that Villain would feel compelled to call, thinking I was just trying to steal. If he raises your bet, so much the better. You two calls have made him nervous, so if he is weak tight he is not all that likely to take another shot on the river - he'd be happy to check down a small pocket pair here and get his check called. He's afraid if he bets a small PP, or something similar, he wont know what to do if you raise, so he is not going to bet again on the river.

ColdestCall
01-14-2005, 01:21 PM
I posted before I read your line....

I would agree with this line more if in the original post it suggested that some draw was on the board. Because the flop was AAx, and the turn and the river were described as "x," a straight or flush draw didnt seem too apparent, so I figured Villain was either betting a small pocket pair or a piece of x, in which case you have to give him maximum chances to get a bigger piece of x if the board pairs on the end, so you dont want to do anything that might scare him on the turn.

KenProspero
01-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Rainbow after the turn, so no flush draw. Straight was technically possible (pre river) but villian would have needed to start with two cards below T (I'm sorry I don't have the precise history). Given previous tightness, I didn't think it likely that he had this.

stillnotking
01-14-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rainbow after the turn, so no flush draw. Straight was technically possible (pre river) but villian would have needed to start with two cards below T (I'm sorry I don't have the precise history). Given previous tightness, I didn't think it likely that he had this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last line of your post was that you had put him on a draw, but I guess that wasn't until after he checked the river. If I did not think he was drawing, I would do what Coldest Call suggested: check/call, check/call, bet little.

KenProspero
01-14-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The last line of your post was that you had put him on a draw, but I guess that wasn't until after he checked the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. To be honest, facing AAAA after the flop, I didn't give a lot of thought to what he might be holding.

After he folded the river, I thought it must have been a busted draw. However, after reading the above, and thinking about what cards he would have had to be on a draw, I'm convinced he must have been holding a pair that is lower than the highest non-A on the board.

dtbog
01-14-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After he folded the river, I thought it must have been a busted draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he mucked on the river... you didn't bet. He probably couldn't beat your quads at showdown. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-DB

lorinda
01-15-2005, 04:54 AM
If there's a flush draw there, I keep betting small and pray he has the draw and hits.

Against this kind of player there's not much hope anyway, so make sure you maximise what you win if the conditions go your way.

Lori

KenProspero
01-15-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given that you both checked the river, you should have been able to find out what villian was holding via the hand history, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I should have been able to do so.