PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: Braves to sign Raul Mondesi for $1mill

Shajen
01-14-2005, 12:37 PM
As a Braves fan, I feel this is a horrible move.

This is the best replacement for Drew they could come up with?

he's got a cannon for an arm, but no range, no speed and his bat has been weak the last couple of years. Way to sign a guy in the twilight of his years to replace a really good player guys.

I predict yet another 1st round loss for them this year.

The Braves are awesome at reviving pitcher's careers, but position players? Negatory ghost rider.

IndieMatty
01-14-2005, 12:38 PM
For One Million, this guys a steal. 270, 25, 80...

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For One Million, this guys a steal. 270, 25, 80...

[/ QUOTE ] i agree, Mondesi is a good player, he just has baggage

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-14-2005, 12:44 PM
I didn't know they even bothered with $1M contracts anymore. Might as well see what the guy can do for you.

Shajen
01-14-2005, 12:44 PM
you think so?

I guess time will tell, but dude, I get a bad feeling when I look at his last year: like 609 games and 3 HR with a .230something batting average. Plus, he's bounced around all over the league, AND I think this is a good indicator of his commitment level. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849532)

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 12:47 PM
I have no idea where you got those numbers.

he only played in 34 games last year because of some legal problems and overall flakeness regarding said legal problems. If he plays the whole year, and his legal problems are clear, he will be a steal. IMO, he is playing for a contract for 2006.

Shajen
01-14-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea where you got those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
ESPN.com man, the source.

[ QUOTE ]
he only played in 34 games last year because of some legal problems and overall flakeness regarding said legal problems. If he plays the whole year, and his legal problems are clear, he will be a steal. IMO, he is playing for a contract for 2006.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be right, but as I said, the Braves have a history of turning around struggling pitchers, but their position players seem to have mediocre years. Although, I guess one could say JD Drew turned his career around last year there....

I dunno bro, I'm a Braves fan, I expect the worst.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 12:58 PM
yeah, I bet making the playoffs every year sucks. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 12:59 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

It's bred into us. As for Mondesi, let's see what he can do I guess. Honestly, I'd rather spend $1m for a year of him, then go out and sign some big name for $8m a year for 3 or 4 years. This is why I didn't want to give up Charles Thomas though, because I knew our outfield was gonna be ragtag again. If it wasn't for Andruw, it would be very bad.

Shajen
01-14-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's bred into us. As for Mondesi, let's see what he can do I guess. Honestly, I'd rather spend $1m for a year of him, then go out and sign some big name for $8m a year for 3 or 4 years. This is why I didn't want to give up Charles Thomas though, because I knew our outfield was gonna be ragtag again. If it wasn't for Andruw, it would be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see Andruw just play balls out hard for an entire season. Man, how good could he be? He's amazing in the outfield as always, but at the plate? If he maintained his discipline and actually LISTENS to Terry P...dude. He'd easily go for 45+ .330 and 110. Especially with Furcal, Thomas and my boy Giles batting before him. Oh, yeah, and Larry as well. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, and Chipper better be at 3rd base ALL YEAR. No more of this outfield reassignment crap. Absolutely nothing good can come of him moving back out there.

Shajen
01-14-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I bet making the playoffs every year sucks. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It does when you get your ass kicked in the first round every year.

How you feeling about your Yanks this year?

(hey, you wanted this thread, bub)

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 01:21 PM
dude, they are pissing me off man, I hate Randy Johnson, a lot. Every year it becomes harder to root for them.

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
You know, you don't have to root for them. You could just wear the hat. Black on black with a straight bill and the sticker still on the underside of course /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Shajen
01-14-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, they are pissing me off man, I hate Randy Johnson, a lot. Every year it becomes harder to root for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And each year it becomes easier for me to not hate them as much, it's turning into pity. Pity that George's ego is so big he can't reverse his trend and admit he's wrong. I'm loving it though.

Of course, I'll hate it if the Cubs somehow win one.

Lovable losers my ass.

Seattle gonna be worth a damn this year?

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could just wear the hat. Black on black with a straight bill and the sticker still on the underside of course /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]who says I don't? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

well, other than NYY, NYM, ANA, BOS, and LA all spending absurd amounts of money, atleast basbeall got one thing right during the offseason.... the steroid testing deal.

nolanfan34
01-14-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and Chipper better be at 3rd base ALL YEAR. No more of this outfield reassignment crap. Absolutely nothing good can come of him moving back out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, you guys are cracking me up in this thread.

First, as any non-Braves fan knows, Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzonne's deal with the devil guarantees that they will successfully revive anyone's career if they come to Atlanta. Seriously, it's ridiculous. Unfortunately, this deal applies to the regular season only, and not the playoffs.

Second, Chipper isn't moving back to 3rd for any serious length of time, because the next great Braves player is on the way to play 3rd, and his name is Andy Marte.

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seattle gonna be worth a damn this year?

[/ QUOTE ] I hope so. I think they have made some nice additions to this team. If Sexson is healthy and if Boone realizes he is in a contract year, the SEA offense should be quite nice. I hope they compete in the West, but mostly I am hoping they are .500+.

IndieMatty
01-14-2005, 01:27 PM
I know man. Im born and bred a yankees fans. Id idnt even follow other sports till I was like 8. And I'm more excited to see how good the Mets are this year, (and I hate the Mets).

Bringing back Tino is pretty neat though.

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I always heard Wilson Betemit's name thrown around as our next great infielder, but with Furcal at SS, I think he'll end up getting traded. Marte has looked good lately, and I think is our 2nd best prospect. Francouer has been getting a lot of press too, and it'll be nice to finally root for him when he's in the majors since I hated him in high school. Damn Parkview won everything with that bastard.

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 01:29 PM
dude, I have been a Yankees fan since I was old enough to know what the hell was going on around me, so me starting to dislike them is quite sad.

[ QUOTE ]

Bringing back Tino is pretty neat though.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, too bad he is old and most likely sucky now.

Shajen
01-14-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, you guys are cracking me up in this thread.

First, as any non-Braves fan knows, Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzonne's deal with the devil guarantees that they will successfully revive anyone's career if they come to Atlanta. Seriously, it's ridiculous. Unfortunately, this deal applies to the regular season only, and not the playoffs.

Second, Chipper isn't moving back to 3rd for any serious length of time, because the next great Braves player is on the way to play 3rd, and his name is Andy Marte.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipper will be at third all year this year. Marte isn't quite ready yet. It's a leap from AA to the bigs man. Of course, you know this, but I say he's still a year out. And Chipper isn't done yet. But he sucks as an outfielder. With Thomas, A Jones, and Mondesi (gulp) with Betemit.

Whatcha got Nolanfan? Any scoop this year so far?

nolanfan34
01-14-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chipper will be at third all year this year. Marte isn't quite ready yet. It's a leap from AA to the bigs man. Of course, you know this, but I say he's still a year out. And Chipper isn't done yet. But he sucks as an outfielder. With Thomas, A Jones, and Mondesi (gulp) with Betemit.

Whatcha got Nolanfan? Any scoop this year so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scoop on what? Meh, I don't know anything, I just pretend I do.

I wouldn't discount Marte making the club though, I think it's possible. He should be in AAA for the year, but it's hard to say what will happen. I want him to stay in AAA so I can keep him on my minor league squad in a big keeper league I'm in, so I have my selfish reasons.

If by Thomas you're referring to Charles Thomas, remember he was traded to the A's.

Right now they don't have many OF's. Signing Mondesi makes sense for the price. I still think Chipper will end up in left if Marte has a decent camp. That give you a lineup of Estrada, LaRoche, Giles, Furcal, Marte, Chipper, A. Jones, and Mondesi. Not too bad really.

Shajen
01-14-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If by Thomas you're referring to Charles Thomas, remember he was traded to the A's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh [censored], how did I miss this? Wow, that def. changes things.

nolanfan34
01-14-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh [censored], how did I miss this? Wow, that def. changes things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, go to ESPN.com and pull up Atlanta's roster page. It lists Chipper Jones as an infielder, so they have ONE outfielder listed. Andruw Jones, that's it.

That's certainly why Mondesi makes sense. I wonder if they have any interest in gambling on Magglio Ordonez, it's surprising to me that his name is still being tossed around but no one is making a move to sign the guy. Seems like he'd be a good candidate for a one-year deal like Nomar so he can prove that he's healthy.

Or, the Braves should trade with the Mariners for Randy Winn....

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] for....?

andyfox
01-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Don't worry, he'll either leave the team in a huff soon enough, or Cox'll kill him.

Opposing teams should remove their right fielder and second basemen when he bats, because he never hits the ball right of second base.

CrazyPsycho
01-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Marte's playing outfield this year.

nolanfan34
01-14-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] for....?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still figuring that out. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] for....?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still figuring that out. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]hmmm... maybe a pitcher or something.

Steve McQueen
01-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Do you think it was worth the price?

nolanfan34
01-14-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Marte's playing outfield this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's not.

Benholio
01-14-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see Andruw just play balls out hard for an entire season. Man, how good could he be? He's amazing in the outfield as always, but at the plate? If he maintained his discipline and actually LISTENS to Terry P...dude. He'd easily go for 45+ .330 and 110. Especially with Furcal, Thomas and my boy Giles batting before him. Oh, yeah, and Larry as well. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, Thomas is gone. I really liked that kid too, he was fun to watch. He was one of those players that plays balls out every day, like Giles. He went to Oakland in the Tim Hudson deal.

On another note, I notice a few Braves fans in this thread. We should get together for a 2p2 Braves game this year. What do you guys think?

Shajen
01-14-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, Thomas is gone. I really liked that kid too, he was fun to watch. He was one of those players that plays balls out every day, like Giles. He went to Oakland in the Tim Hudson deal.

On another note, I notice a few Braves fans in this thread. We should get together for a 2p2 Braves game this year. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm down like 4 fat bitches in a Pinto.

We should do this.

CrazyPsycho
01-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Hmm, I think it's pretty common knowledge that Marte is starting the season in the outfield, lemme see what I can dig up.

Marte Outfield (http://braves.scout.com/2/333038.html)

Shajen
01-14-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I think it's pretty common knowledge that Marte is starting the season in the outfield, lemme see what I can dig up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God, please no:

"As for rumors of the Braves trying to get Sammy Sosa, Schuerholz says, "We had some conversations with the Cubs, as I think every team in baseball did. We would sort have been asleep at the wheel if we didn't at least have conversations about it. They were initially categorized as very preliminary, and that's about all they were." --from the article.

Say it ain't So...Sa.

ClaytonN
01-14-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always heard Wilson Betemit's name thrown around as our next great infielder, but with Furcal at SS, I think he'll end up getting traded. Marte has looked good lately, and I think is our 2nd best prospect. Francouer has been getting a lot of press too, and it'll be nice to finally root for him when he's in the majors since I hated him in high school. Damn Parkview won everything with that bastard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you went to Brookwood or something to that extent?

ClaytonN
01-14-2005, 05:57 PM
As an Atlantan, all I can say is the Braves remain third on my list of fav teams behind the Falcons and Thrashers.

When I went to game 6 of the WS in '95, I was 9 years old. I'm 18 now. We've been in the playoffs every year, and we've choked as long as I can remember being a Braves fan, albeit that one awesome night.

It's hard for me to root for a team that fails you every single damn year. Screw their playoff appearance record, let's see you win something in October!

nolanfan34
01-14-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good find. I haven't seen that. I guess I said "no, he's not", because I figured Shurholtz and Cox would have more sense than moving a good-fielding 3B to the OF, when he's never played the position before. You'd think they learned their lesson the first time around.

bugstud
01-14-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good find. I haven't seen that. I guess I said "no, he's not", because I figured Shurholtz and Cox would have more sense than moving a good-fielding 3B to the OF, when he's never played the position before. You'd think they learned their lesson the first time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miguel Cabrera?

Anyway....The Braves did good with the Mondesi deal. He'll be relatively motivated and not cause a fuss because of lack of PT.

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 06:58 PM
[censored] no, I hate Brookwood too! All those [censored] northside schools. Starr's Mill mutha fucka! I used to be able to laugh at Brookwood after we monkey stomped them on their home field my junior year in the state playoffs. Then, they come back last year and beat us in the soccer finals on a goal with 20 seconds left in the final overtime. It was brutal.

It was just that I hated openning up the paper every day and seeing another article on Francouer. We would've beat his ass that year if we had played them in the finals. Damn fast Harrison back ate us up the first half on the turf in the Georgia Dome, but we were coming back in the second half until Reuben dropped a pass on 4th down that would've probably won us the game. Instead, Harrison plays Parkview on a wet field so their back's speed is neutralized and of course golden-boy wins another state tital.

nolanfan34
01-14-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Miguel Cabrera?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Cabrera was projected to end up in the OF eventually, because he wasn't a defensive gem. With Marte, it just seems like a waste of talent to move a guy who has a good arm and fields well to the OF, so a guy who used to be a good 3B but is now in decline can move back to the position for a few more years.

Anyway, what do I know, I'm no GM.

ClaytonN
01-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Heh, I'm northside.

I went to Chattahoochee Frosh/Soph years, so I can kinda remember what it was like to have a good football team. My current high school's team blew, being a 3rd year school and all.

CrazyPsycho
01-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm sure Marte will eventually make his way back to 3B once Chipper starts falling off(or god forbid gets injured). I think the Braves are more interested in getting his bat in the lineup ASAP, while keeping their leader happy.