PDA

View Full Version : Limp Reraise

09-16-2001, 01:26 PM
In hold'em, I occasionally see a preflop limper take a reraise. It seems like this should be telling me something about what this person is holding and/or what kind of player would do that, but I really don't know what it means.

The only situation where I might think of doing that would be if I'm had called in an early position with a reasonable pocket pair and everyone folds to the button who I think is making a steal raise.

The first few times I saw it, I thought it was an irrational play. Please tell me what you think a limp-reraise reveals? Thanks in advance.

09-16-2001, 02:23 PM
Limp reraise most likely means AA or KK if done by weak players.

Reasoning: In a tight game they dont want that everyone folds when they raise, so they limp in (assuring them some action), and when raised they have their action and go ahead building a pot with the (most likely) best hand.

You should be aware however that there could be occasions where a limp-reraise occurs with more hands. I can imagine a scenario in a very loose game, where you limp in in EP with something like JTs, next to you raises, and there are a lot of cold callers behind the raiser. Now it can be an option to limp-reraise, given the fact that your hand plays very well in multiway big pots.

Another thing could be for instance that EP limps in with AK or something, everyone folds except BB for instance who raises. It's now an option to limp-reraise too.

Overall I almost never limp-reraise. I dont like it much since it makes you often easy to read.

Regards

09-16-2001, 05:10 PM
Ikke is right that it is supposed to mean a premium pair.

But most of the time its just someone screwing around. If you see someone do this twice in a session and didn't see the hand, its pretty much a synch this player just likes to cap it.

- Louie

09-17-2001, 02:00 AM
In my limited experience of playing on line I've seen this happen once and the guy had a pair of Aces. On a related point, I appear to be the only player in 3-6 games at Paradise who ever folds after somebody raises behind me pre-flop, I guess once you've put all that money in on a K-8 suited you have to see it through.

09-17-2001, 03:00 AM
Generally, you shouldn't be folding after you have limped in and somebody behind you has raised. ( a double raise is a different story ) Thats a big reason why we play our cards according to our position.

Later,

CJ

09-17-2001, 03:24 AM
Depending on the player, usually the player either has AA or he's trying to gamble to build a big pot. In low limit games, limp raise usually means the latter case...

09-17-2001, 03:17 PM
I won't fold to a raise pre-flop because I won't limp on anything that I wouldn't call a raise if there is one after me. Of course what I limp in is dependant on position. If I'm early there are a lot of people who might raise me so I'm only limping on some fairly premo-stuff (unless it's an ultra passive table).

Now, if it comes back to me and it's 2 or more bets...then I'll usually fold unless I've got some nice cards. Again, this doesn't happen that much because if the table is that aggressive then I'm tightening up and it's unlikely I'll see that situation. Most likely I'll be one of the raisers.

09-22-2001, 01:03 PM
As Mason pointed out recently, there's a huge difference between someone who open-limp-reraises and someone who calls a limp or two, and then 3-bets a late raiser.

In low limit, the former means AA/KK more than 75% of the time (my guess), and AA/KK/AK more than 90% of the time. The latter usually means a lower pair (usually 99/88) or a suited hand other than Axs, Kxs or 76s (and lower), usually something like QJs/JTs. I suspect that those inclined to make the latter play will raise a limper when holding a big pair about 100% of the time.