PDA

View Full Version : shootout tourney format whadaya think

florintine pogen
01-14-2005, 12:01 PM
i want to have a tourney with two elimanation rounds (30 people each with the winner of each table (3tables of 10 )advancing to the final
i need to end the rounds in about an hour and a half each what should the starting chips / blinds be
Im thinking each player gets T800 and 3 30 min rounds @ 25 /50 , 50 /100 and 100 / 200 winner is chip leader after end of round three any input would be helpful thanks FP

florintine pogen
01-14-2005, 03:51 PM
any suggestions anybody

Fins
01-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't like the format as it seems like there'll be too much luck involved... the last pot everyone (except the dopes that aren't paying attention) will be all-in to go to the finals... if you're not the chip leader you'd have to and even if you are the chip you can't let somebody sextuple up and beat you out /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Just play one hand tourneys and get in a couple hundred/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why not run 5-6 single table tourneys and take the winners for a final table... here's a post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1438465&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) that might have some helpful info or ideas. Might PM HH or Wyers for some thoughts.

- Fins

florintine pogen
01-15-2005, 01:27 PM
this is actually the format used by a local pub it is a freeroll and i suppose they want to give the begginners a chance. do you think raising or lowering the blinds, rounds or chip stacks would make a differance ???

Arsene Lupin III
01-15-2005, 08:53 PM
There are a few problems here.. Your format has players playing a full ring format for a while before getting thrown into an entirely different 3-handed final table. Keep in mind that players are usually less crowded in at 8-handed or smaller tables. As a result, my recommendations are as follows:

a) 6 tables of 5. This is closest you can get, with 30 players, to having the final table format the same as the starting table. Unfortunately, it requires more tables and not everyone at the final table may get paid unless you decide to make the payout flat.

b) 5 tables of 6. Pretty much the same as A, this is slightly more feasible in terms of the payout, but still a little too flat.

c) 4 tables of 8. It strays a bit far from having balanced formats for the first and final tables, but this is (imo) the best way to go.

c2) Alternatively, you can play down to 2 at each table and then go to the final table, paying only the top 4. This isn't, however, a true shootout.

Also, If you're going to start with 25/50 blinds, each player only has 16BB with T800. While this will speed things along, if you follow my advice and make the starting tables shorter-handed than 10-handed, you're forcing way too much action early with these blinds.

I recommend format C with T1000 in starting chips, paying something like 15 buyins for first, 8 for second, 4.5 for third, and 2.5 for fourth.

Do not make it so the chipleader after 90 minutes is the winner. Use format C2 if you absolutely must end the first round after 90 minutes. No matter what the format, the second round will not take as long as the first

florintine pogen
01-16-2005, 02:22 PM
want to have a tourney with two elimanation rounds (30 people each with the winner of each table (3tables of 10 )advancing to the final
i need to end the rounds in about an hour and a half each what should the starting chips / blinds be
Im thinking each player gets T800 and 3 30 min rounds @ 25 /50 , 50 /100 and 100 / 200 winner is chip leader after end of round three any input would be helpful thanks FP

Contact Us | Privacy statement 2+2 Publishing

thanks for your replys arse & fins let me explain why this format. in pa the local athorities are allow poker torneys in bars so long as there is no entry fee or money on the table what usually happens with the regular format is 60 or 70 people show up with about 80% busting out in the first few rounds or so and most of them leave as the bust out

with my format there would be two freeroll rounds 3 or four tables each (space limitations) of ten players with the winner of each table advancing to the money round. if players bust out in the first round they can enter into the second round. final table would be the winners from round 1 & 2 plus 2 random wild card players playing for 1st $150
2nd $50 3rd $25 same format as round 1&2

gmunny
01-16-2005, 03:24 PM
What about taking the top 2 or 3 chip counts from each table? That way the final table can have 6 or 9 and it may reduce the luck factor. Either way, no one should complain about the format if its a freeroll! Good luck.
G$

florintine pogen
01-16-2005, 04:30 PM
money round : 3 or 4 winners round, 1 + 3 or 4 winners round 2, + two random wild card entries