PDA

View Full Version : Buying suits

2planka
01-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Been business casual for the past 9 years. While I've bought sportcoats as recently as October, I haven't bought a suit in, well, 10 years. Never had to wear them.... until now.

I need a suit for a wedding. My mother's wedding. In February. In Massachusetts. FWIW, she's 70 years old, a widow, marrying a widower, and it's a low-key ceremony.

I figure since I'm buying one that I should pick up a couple just to have.

Any suggestions on where to go and what to get are appreciated. Men's Warehouse comes to mind, but what are some other good shops?

Edit: I should add that I have no fashion sense whatsoever.

Rick Diesel
01-14-2005, 11:33 AM
I'd just go to a major department store, Kaufman's, lazarus, etc.

Major advice - Do NOT get the suit tailored where you buy it. Those guys suck. Ask around and find a good tailor that some of your friends go to.

sfer
01-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Really depends on what you want out of your suit and how much you want to pay. Generally, it's hard to get a quality suit--and by quality I mean a decent amount of handstitching, quality construction, good material--without spending a decent amount, but you can still getting a shoddy suit even though you spend a small fortune. But I'm fairly obsessive about these things so you could easily not care.

One piece of advice is to find a salesman who you think is dressed nicely and start talking to him.

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Men's Warehouse comes to mind

[/ QUOTE ]

all my suits come from MW if the service there is what I get here, You will be pleased.

Be ready to drop a nut though. You really not going to find anything nice for less the $600 But the last few suits I have gotten have been well worth the money.

I clean up well /images/graemlins/grin.gif At least in the suits any way. They also have a tailor in house.

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd just go to a major department store, Kaufman's, lazarus, etc.

Major advice - Do NOT get the suit tailored where you buy it. Those guys suck. Ask around and find a good tailor that some of your friends go to.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats where you buy your suits then yes those tailors sux

Wayfare
01-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Sims. You get the real stuff, it's just cheaper.

I got a ralph lauren wool top coat that would have cost ~$300 in a store for $140.

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sims. You get the real stuff, it's just cheaper.

I got a ralph lauren wool top coat that would have cost ~$300 in a store for $140.

[/ QUOTE ]

My last suit was ralph lauren wool may be the same it was black with pin stripes. my jaket was also $300

2planka
01-14-2005, 11:56 AM
OT

Is that a bratwust with eyes, LALDAAS?

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OT

Is that a bratwust with eyes, LALDAAS?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, It's Lemmiwinks sister/girlfriend

Toro
01-14-2005, 12:03 PM
It doesn't sound like you're looking for a bargain but I got a great looking suit at the Burlington Coat Factory in Worcester(Greenwood Street where the Fair used to be). It was a name brand suit for less than 200 bucks and fit perfect, only had to get the pants hemmed.

Edit: Try Shacks in the Auburn Mall, too.

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I have no clue if its the right time of the year, but Nordstroms half yearly sale is a great time to buy suits. Their tailoring is also excellent.

2planka
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
What is a name brand suit?

2planka
01-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Know a good tailor in ye ole Wormtown?

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/confused.gif ummm any major designer.

2planka
01-14-2005, 12:10 PM
What is a major designer? No kidding. I really don't know.

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] LMAO.

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ralph luaren, Aramani (AX), versace, ect, ect....

WC64
01-14-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no clue if its the right time of the year, but Nordstroms half yearly sale is a great time to buy suits. Their tailoring is also excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats where I bought my last 2 suits. The first one I bought at Men's Warehouse and paid more for it but I like it the least.

Paluka
01-14-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenver I look at the pricier suits I always want to buy a Hugo Boss. Something about the looks of them I like. But I have never actually bought one and have no idea about the quality level.

Toro
01-14-2005, 12:25 PM
You had to ask me. I'm as fashion challenged as you are. Can't remember the name of the designer, but it was one of the name designers.

Anthony Corapi on Shrewbury Street is supposed to be a very good tailor, my brohter's gone to him and others have told me good things about him. But like you, up until a wedding I went to last year, I hadn't bought a new suit in 10 years.

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats where I bought my last 2 suits. The first one I bought at Men's Warehouse and paid more for it but I like it the least.

[/ QUOTE ] Yean Nordstroms is nice man, I have this sick suit from there.

RogerZBT
01-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Syms is a good choice if you're willing to look through all the racks. Tons of garbage, but Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren and Donna Karan Signature can be found relatively cheap.

Men's Warehouse is your best bet for a knowledgeable staff, so if you're really clueless, start there.

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Listen here is the deal with M/W Walk in and find a woman sales person or the gayest man you can find. Simply let them dress you. They will choose 3 to 4 suits in your price range and allow you to fit them to see if you like them.

This is why I like this place, even if you dont have a lot of cash they treat you like you do.

sfer
01-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Actually, if you're really clueless you should go to Paul Stuart but it's only in New York and Chicago. And expensive.

lapoker17
01-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Yeah - Hugo Boss suits are pretty dope. Also, Donna Karan (Black Label) and Gianfranco Ferre are nice - Armani's kinda played out - Pleats are dead. If you have a SYMS, it's definitely worth a trip as you will often find these brands there - Those "Mills" outlet malls are good too - They have Neimans and Saks outlets with primo stuff.

Leo99
01-14-2005, 08:08 PM
It depends on how much you're gonna wear it. I used to dress up for work and a good suit will last you and wear very well. You'll wind up spending more for dry cleaning than you paid for the suit. Just get a cheap one if you're only gonna wear it once or twice a year. You might grow a gut and outgrow your expensive suit before you get it wear it more than a few times.

I suggest you go to a big Macy's department store and get one during their half price sales they seem to have every other week. I got lucky and found some 70 year old fruity tuity sales guy to help me out. He was the best at telling me what suit was better than the other cause you can't always go by price as previously stated. I bought a Sims suit but the Macy's suit is MUCH better. Better lining cause wool makes me itchy. Good wool feels like polyester, nice and soft and smooth.

Tron
01-14-2005, 08:41 PM
I DEFINITELY also recommend Nordstrom's for buying suits. They have a formidable selection, and the salesmen are very knowledgeable and very helpful. The tailors are great, as well. I think someone said that the half-yearly sale is going on right now or coming up soon; I'd definitely check that out.

william deangelis
01-15-2005, 02:43 AM
Anything you ever wanted to know and didnt about how to dress.

www.askandyaboutclothes.com (http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com)

check out the forum

Rick Nebiolo
01-15-2005, 06:37 AM
If you were in Los Angeles I'd recommend Roger Stuart Clothes (http://bargainsla.com/bargains/source/rogerstuart.htm) located downtown. Great quality, excellent prices.

Don't know about Mens Wearhouse suits, but their J&F cotton "non-iron" dress shirt (now on sale (http://tinyurl.com/4jukx) for $43) is so much better than the $30 (on sale) department store shirts I've had that for now that will be the only shirt I buy. They still look fresh at the end of a day.

~ Rick

2planka
01-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Hit up Mens Warehouse at lunch today. They're having a big sale (or so the signs and salespeople say). I walked in and announced "I need help."

The store was dead so I had three salesmen helping me. I selected what I liked and made fun of what I didn't like. They basically just laid out about a dozen options and I picked and chose what I wanted.

I picked up two Lauren suits, a tweed sportcoat, three shirts, four contemporary-style ties, couple sweaters, some new braces, and some cufflinks for a little less than a "nut." Not bad.

Sale ends soon, FWIW.

bosoxfan
01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some new braces

[/ QUOTE ]

What are braces? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

offTopic
01-21-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some new braces

[/ QUOTE ]

What are braces? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Suspenders

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
couple sweaters

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2planka
01-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah... a weakness of mine. I like sweaters. If I could wear a sweatshirt to work I would.

Rick Diesel
01-21-2005, 03:32 PM
You probably already know this, but the key is to get a nice selection of shirts and ties. You don't need more than a couple of suits, as all people notice are the shirt and tie. I would bet that you could wear the same suit everyday, and nobody would notice as long as you keep changing your shirt and tie.

I like to keep a 4-1 shirt/tie ratio to suits. For what its worth, I have 5 suits, and my work requires me to wear them to whichever of my clients dress professional, which is about 1 of every 3 clients I go to.

LALDAAS
01-21-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
couple sweaters

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats wrong with sweaters?

You should see my closet I have about 100 sweaters.

Toro
01-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Well done. Last week you didn't know what a designer suit was, now you own two! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

2planka
01-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Heh. I walked in to the store and announced that I needed help. On cue, two salesmen said, "You certainly do!"

I have to say that the service was very good. Prices were a bit higher for the shirts/ties/accessories, but the service was worth it.

Having the stuff tailored at home, though.

LALDAAS
01-21-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"You certainly do!"

[/ QUOTE ]

See I told ya Just look for the gay salesman.

2planka
01-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh thtop it! You're tho thilly!

felson
01-21-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for a little less than a "nut."

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a "nut"?