PDA

View Full Version : Raise this for value?

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero...

meanjean
01-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't but maybe you could explain why you think it's a good idea

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't but maybe you could explain why you think it's a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]
I have three pretty weak callers and a great mutliway hand, also likely to win by spiking top pair. With one more caller I would have raised, but in this case I called. I wanna know if that's the standard play here or not.

EDIT: In this situation on the button I also raise, but with in SB my position is to crappy.

meanjean
01-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Right, I raise in late position. But in SB and a Jack pops up on the flop as top card and you bet, a middle player raises, what do you do? I can easily see a middle player calling preflop with AJo KJo.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right, I raise in late position. But in SB and a Jack pops up on the flop as top card and you bet, a middle player raises, what do you do? I can easily see a middle player calling preflop with AJo KJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, that's a problem you have to face either way, since you'll never fold this preflop and can't fold to a raise even if the pot is smaller. KJo is a likely limping hand, while AJo is a more unlikely. Best case would be if the raiser limited the field by facing them with two cold. Then you can call down with a profit.

I would say you'll have to bet out on the flop in both cases. Top pair of jacks with Q kicker is to good to check and to vulnerable to risk giving a free card.

jay1313
01-14-2005, 12:13 PM
In the small blind I am not comfortable enough to raise this hand, I would just complete and see where we go from there. You hit a jack, bet and get raised, yeah you could be facing a KJ or AJ but that is poker.

Even if you raise pre-flop, the AJ is not going anywhere for one bet and if it was me, would still raise you on the flop if you hit the jack. Late position, yeah go for the raise, in the SB just complete.

Bez
01-14-2005, 12:13 PM
As you've pointed out your position is crappy so don't bother raising.

meanjean
01-14-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would say you'll have to bet out on the flop in both cases. Top pair of jacks with Q kicker is to good to check and to vulnerable to risk giving a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...but with these problem, I'm not sure it's the best hand to bet for value in early position. I'm not saying I'm right but that is my opinion. Would you raise Ace 9 suited in the same position? I think its another hand that has high pair potential but kicker problems.

davelin
01-14-2005, 12:16 PM
I'd like it better with one more limper but it certainly isn't horrendous.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Late position, yeah go for the raise, in the SB just complete.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! Seems like the standard play.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree...but with these problem, I'm not sure it's the best hand to bet for value in early position. I'm not saying I'm right but that is my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we agree on the subject.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you raise Ace 9 suited in the same position? I think its another hand that has high pair potential but kicker problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, one more limper and I probably raise.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like it better with one more limper but it certainly isn't horrendous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, one more and it's standard. In this hand I didn't raise and I don't think I should have.

Nick Royale
01-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero...
<font color="blue"> Easy laydown I guess? </font>