PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is a quest

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 11:22 AM
I have 6 hours to make ~$2600 in cash or credit so that I can pay for my housing this semester since Dad doesn't feel like the divorce agreement is solid enough to have to abide by it and pay for it. Also, he was nice enough to leave me until 10:15am on the day it's due to tell me this. I have $561.12 in my checking account, and about $70 in available credit to do this. Poker bankroll is moot, since there's no time to cash out to Neteller and then into the checking account. I have until 4:00pm to get this money or I'm living at home, and very possibly forced to drop all my classes (even though tuition is paid). Any suggestions?

Brilliant!!!
01-14-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 6 hours to make ~$2600 in cash or credit so that I can pay for my housing this semester since Dad doesn't feel like the divorce agreement is solid enough to have to abide by it and pay for it. Also, he was nice enough to leave me until 10:15am on the day it's due to tell me this. I have $561.12 in my checking account, and about $70 in available credit to do this. Poker bankroll is moot, since there's no time to cash out to Neteller and then into the checking account. I have until 4:00pm to get this money or I'm living at home, and very possibly forced to drop all my classes (even though tuition is paid). Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, ask for an extension. Every college I know of grants a payment option upon showing of hardship or unusual circumstance.

Asnbabe
01-14-2005, 11:25 AM
why cant you just pay in installments? I pay my rent monthly

Brilliant!!!
01-14-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean to tell me you can pay your rent in monthly increments rather paying for an entire year all at once?

Brilliant !!!

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-14-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, ask for an extension. Every college I know of grants a payment option upon showing of hardship or unusual circumstance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do this. It'll work.

Duke
01-14-2005, 11:28 AM
With 903 posts it seems like you probably play enough poker to know a poker player who could loan you 3k.

~D

fnord_too
01-14-2005, 11:35 AM
I aggree with the other posters, financial aid departments will help you work through these things, and in my experiences have always been really easy to work with. Also, your situation really sucks; I'm sorry to hear things went down like that.

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 11:37 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Bursar's Office said no to my suggestions for a payment plan. Off to the Office of Student Financial Aid to talk about some sort of emergency loan.

rickthekeg
01-14-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's living in a dorm, they require it all at once. Anyways, I'm surprised the bursar's office turned you down, but have you tried getting a student loan? They might not be able to get you one fast enough, but it's worth a try.

CCx
01-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Ask for an extension on the payment and win a $500 SnG on Stars... either that or go to your bank and take out a small loan, though I'm sure the interest rate would be through the roof if you don't have someone with great credit to co-sign. Good luck and sorry to hear about your situation /images/graemlins/frown.gif

xadrez
01-14-2005, 12:57 PM
I feel your pain...

I work full time @ a university in order to take grad classes for free. However, sometime in the 80's the tax code was changed, forcing graduate students who get a tuition exemption for being a full time university employee to pay federal tax on the amount the classes cost (for me 3000 dollars per class). A further kick in the nuts is that the total amount of the tuition exemption is taxed as a 'gift', not 'pay', meaning you pay +40% on it.

In essence, I have been getting paid $125 a week for the past 3 months, while working 40 hours, and taking 2 classes.

I want to know who had the bright idea: "hey, lets start taxing poor students who have to work full time while taking classes!" GREAT IDEA!!!

Bastards!

ddollevoet
01-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Do you have to live on the dorms at GT? Could you forego this immediate expense and get an apartment instead (where the expenses would be spread out over the next few months)?

If so, I'm sure that you could find a relatively affordable apartment. Do you have any buddies that you could bunk up with? Or, worst case senario, possibly move in with someone who is looking for a roomate?

theredwave
01-14-2005, 01:02 PM
You can whore yourself out to 100 fat chicks for $20 a piece. Or 10 really fat chicks for $200 a piece. What, fat chicks need love too, they just gotta pay.
Sorry, just trying to cheer you up. I'd say go down to the financial aid offices and talking to them like everyone else said. Hopefully they will give you an extension because of the circumstances, good luck.

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Yeah, if it comes down to 3pm and there's no hope, I'll be doing everything I can to cancel my housing since I have scholarship for tuition, and that's all paid for. From there, it'll suck this semester but it's a lot better sucking by sleeping in someone's living room on their futon than it is living at home.

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 01:14 PM
tough break bro, hope things turn around for you.

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 01:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
You can whore yourself out to 100 fat chicks for $20 a piece. Or 10 really fat chicks for $200 a piece. What, fat chicks need love too, they just gotta pay.
Sorry, just trying to cheer you up. I'd say go down to the financial aid offices and talking to them like everyone else said. Hopefully they will give you an extension because of the circumstances, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

We certainly have our fair share of ugly and fat chicks on campus. No one has ever confused GT with the playboy mansion.

cardcounter0
01-14-2005, 01:23 PM
"I want to know who had the bright idea: "hey, lets start taxing poor students who have to work full time while taking classes!" GREAT IDEA!!!"

That idea came from a bunch of people who had Daddy's that could all afford to send them to Yale, and instead of working just dipped into the old trust fund.

SomethingClever
01-14-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From there, it'll suck this semester but it's a lot better sucking by sleeping in someone's living room on their futon than it is living at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go. Unless I'm understanding wrong, your tuition is paid. So worst case, you crash with a buddy until you get some housing figured out.

Good luck.

xadrez
01-14-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That idea came from a bunch of people who had Daddy's that could all afford to send them to Yale, and instead of working just dipped into the old trust fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I just researched a little online, and found out that Reagan implemented it...figures...

Diplomat
01-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Don't forget to file suit against your pop.

-Diplomat

LaggyLou
01-14-2005, 01:50 PM
If I lent you the money, how and when could you pay me back?

cardcounter0
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
That can't be right. Reagan lowered taxes. Ask any Republican. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mmbt0ne
01-14-2005, 02:42 PM
This would be the 3rd, maybe 4th Anderson v. Anderson if I did. I really don't want to, and I try to keep as much of the money stuff away from my mom as I can since it sucks tons to have them both going through that. I know that if she knew he owed me over $3k for other semesters of rent and meal plans and stuff like that she'd flip, but it really wasn't a big deal then because I had interned for a semester and had the money to pay for it. I didn't like it, but I really was in no position to complain.

As of right now, it looks like everything's going to get paid for, it's just a matter of how much from who. Some other family members are able to help me out, and I have some friends who are being much nicer than they have to be. I also want to add that I didn't start this thread to beg for money from people here, I'd feel bad borrowing from anybody who I didn't know that well, but I appreciate the offers I got here and through PMs.

cardcounter0
01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Back when I went to college (shortly after electricity was invented) there was 3 or 4 students who had Vans. In the spring and summer they would sleep in them in the University parking lot and sneak into a Dorm during the day and use the showers.

Some students had a house but it had no utilities like electricity and water (kind of a poor college student back-to-nature thing). They had an early morning gym class and used the showers there.

Suck it up. Live with Mom. Stay with a friend. FOCUS ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT! Get the most out of your college education. Learn. Study. Live in the library. That diploma is going to make you lots of money for the rest of your life.

When you graduate, look back at these hard times and laugh. Then buy whatever company your POS Dad is working for and fire him!