PDA

View Full Version : Table selection

pottie
01-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Do you guys actually search for fishes or just play on any table?

pindawg
01-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Speaking of search ....

jaxUp
01-14-2005, 06:51 AM
On party you don't really have to search for fish...They tend to congregate around..hmmmm....oh yeah, everywhere. I only search for REALLY bad or maniac-type players. Any table probably contains enough to keep u in the $.

nrinker
01-14-2005, 07:07 AM
anyone think the 1/2 tables have been going on couple hour spurts where they are rock gardens lately?

jaxUp
01-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Oh yeah.

LazyRobot
01-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Yes. It's contagious.

jaxUp
01-14-2005, 07:13 AM
I'm at Bird On a Wire. it's pretty weak, but we can bust it open with some 2+2 action if anybody wants to come. My name is flushtastic

jaxUp
01-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Don't worry guys. It's Friday today. The fish will be out tonight. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

LazyRobot
01-14-2005, 08:15 AM
I open 4 tables that have an average pot within a range [7-9BB]. I don't go for the monster pot tables. By the time I get through the wait list the tables texture is usually substantially different. I try and focus on watching the action on two tables, while the other two I gather some data on cycle them in accordingly. If something looks foul to start with I close it and open another table. (This is truly the joy of Party) Rinse and repeat.

1/2 is a bit harder at non-peak times because there are less people playing 1/2 then .50/1 and since people tend to multi-table you frequently have less choices to make and those decisions seem to make a bigger difference. Almost all .50/1 tables I have sat on have been juicy plums waiting to be plucked but on occasion you get a rotten one. Leave if you feel your table sucks. If you're not happy no reason to stick around.

By the way I play generally play two tables. Not sure how the 4+ guys deal with picking tables

Hope that is coherent, it's late but that's how I do it. I don't rush into any table unless it looks super good and there is an open seat. I'm willing to take a chance.

Beep.

pottie
01-14-2005, 08:45 AM
I honestly dont know how its possible to play 4 tables at a time, while using poker tracker and making good decisions?

jaxUp
01-14-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly dont know how its possible to play 4 tables at a time, while using poker tracker and making good decisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I do multi-table (seldom) I find it a lot easier to multi-table with GT+. As for making good decisions, I guess the major mutli-tablers just have lots of experience.

TwoShedsJackson
01-14-2005, 08:58 AM
GT+ does make things far easier, I now mostly play 2 tables at a time, or 3 if things are going really slowly - it took me ages to be comfortable even playing more than 1.

_bustedflush_
01-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Sorry for the stupid question: GT+?

TwoShedsJackson
01-14-2005, 09:19 AM
GameTime+ - it's a program that takes the details from Pokertracker's GameTime window and overlays them transparently on the actual Party screen, like a HUD.

There's another one called Playerview which is also good - search in the Software forums and you will find download links.

Shaun G
01-14-2005, 09:26 AM
I normally play 3 tables and would just ride out the low points hoping for the table to come back around since I didn't really know, at first glance, who were the fish among the rocks. GT+ has played a role in my table selection because you can see the table texture at a moment's notice and tell when you need to leave.

For those who don't know, GT+ is GameTime+ an add-on utility that hooks into your PokerTracker database. As Woody would say "If you don't have one, get one."

<PT Mini-Rant>
Btw, if you have PT, *Don't Flaunt It*. I can't tell you how annoying it is when you have someone sit at a table and start quoting everyone's stats to them. Besides the fact that anything someone else has on me in the database will be limited, but others at the table start to ask questions.
</PT Mini-Rant>

Shaun

afk
01-14-2005, 09:59 AM
At .5/1, no. I don't really bother. Pretty much any table is great. At 1/2, I do bother (and this will become more important the higher we play). There are more tight players, and more more aggressive players - that's not to say there are a lot, just more in proportion to 1/2. So I'm willing to leave a table if I realize I'm sitting with a TAG or two and a bunch of tight passives.

wcsherry
01-14-2005, 10:22 AM
i just rolled up 300 BB from .5/1 and found 1/2 to be a rock garden as well - however i have been able to find a few loose passive 1/2 full games, you just have to look a lot harder and definately STAY at these tables as long as possible

itsmesteve
01-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I think the consensus seems to be that the serious loose tables at Party 1/2 are the shorthanded/6max tables. I am getting close to having a 1/2 bankroll so i haven't played'em yet, just trying to share info. A search maybe helpful.

DMBFan23
01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I can dig what you guys are saying, but you need to change tables.

I 4 tabled last night, and 2 of my tables were 43% and 45% average VP%IP, one was like 25 (not great) and one was about 16. (eeeewwwwww.....) I stayed at the loose ones and left the tight ones, it really is that easy. eventually I got 2 more in the 28-30 range, and I was happy with that. The three players to my right on the 45% VP$IP table were VP$IP 40, 50, and 70. BOOYA.

meanjean
01-14-2005, 11:46 AM
I go to the first available table. I sit down and play. I fire up pokertracker and start to get reads, habits and the like. Then I go to the next table and do the same thing.

If the first table is all TAG, great! I need to learn how to beat these types. If the second table is all LP, great! I know how to beat them and my bank roll needs boosting. If I get LAG's well then I hang on for the ride and hope I don't get outdrawn on my good hands.

So I say take the table your given and learn how to beat it. I imagine most of us want to eventually leave microlimits and when we do the players are going to be better so might as well learn how to beat them now, when it's cheaper.

droolie
01-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I play four-tables with pokertracker and playerview running. If any of the tables are complete rock gardens (almost every player under 25% VP$IP) I leave. I look for the +50% VP$IP players and follow them around if necessary. My buddy list is very long and I will often do a search for my favorites. Datamining (opening tables and watching them for hours at a time to collect data) is crucial, especially if you are preparing to jump levels. It gives you stats on thousands of players you're likely to meet in future games.

SlantNGo
01-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I used to think that as well, but after playing at tables with mostly TA-Ns and TA-As, I've concluded that I'm not ready to learn how to beat those at this stage. In fact, I think most 5/10 players couldn't even do it. Hence, I now look for a table that is either very beatable for me, or beatable but challenging.

[ QUOTE ]
If the first table is all TAG, great! I need to learn how to beat these types.

[/ QUOTE ]

davehwm
01-14-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can dig what you guys are saying, but you need to change tables.

I 4 tabled last night, and 2 of my tables were 43% and 45% average VP%IP, one was like 25 (not great) and one was about 16. (eeeewwwwww.....) I stayed at the loose ones and left the tight ones, it really is that easy. eventually I got 2 more in the 28-30 range, and I was happy with that. The three players to my right on the 45% VP$IP table were VP$IP 40, 50, and 70. BOOYA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, GT+ is a beatiful thing. I love sitting at a 45+% VP$IP table watching someone with 80% VP%IP bust out, only to reload another $25. Cha-ching.