PDA

View Full Version : A9s, overplayed on the turn?

Roadstar
01-14-2005, 04:59 AM
Pls help with this hand - a little uncomfortable with my choices on most streets. Read on villain - over 60% VPIP in 30+ hands, PFR around 6%

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Catt
01-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Fold pre-flop.

Fold the turn. You have BB to act behind. A 7 on the river gives you the straight (which still might not be the winning hand). A Q on the river probably means a chop, so what are you drawing to? I wouldn't be confident that a 9 or A on the river gives you the best hand. With a small pot, and the board as it is, I think you give credit to UTG for a real hand (despite the 60% VPIP) and move on to the next hand.

bennyk
01-14-2005, 05:25 AM
fold preflop.

You are dominated by or marginal to any UTG hand from someone only raising 6%.

a cold-call with A9s is ok if you have 2 or so coldcallers; you are out of position to be sure you're getting them in this hand.

bk

TwoShedsJackson
01-14-2005, 05:29 AM
Preflop: I'd usually fold to a raise in this position, if you're going to play, 3bet to try and cut the field.

Flop: fine, gutshot &amp; backdoor flush, I discount the overcard outs as an Ace coming will give anyone with a Q a straight.

Turn: now you have the double gutshot but I would call here, raising doesn't accomplish anything, UTG clearly has something and isn't folding, you don't have a hand yet so folding the BB is not useful and you expose yourself to the 3 bet.

River: well this is obvious /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bennyk
01-14-2005, 05:35 AM
the flop call is not very good.

9:1 with a backdoor nut flush (1.5 outs) and a gutshot to the nut straight (which will chop a lot of the time, so like one out)

The aces are worth less than 1/2 an out.

drawing to 3 shaky little outs getting 8:1? Even closing the action, which we're not, I say no thanks.

bk

TwoShedsJackson
01-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Yeah I tend to over-value 'drawing' outs a bit too much and thus probably call too much - must work on that.

bennyk
01-14-2005, 05:48 AM
It's tricky in hands where you may be drawing to a chop, or your opponents will draw a better hand, for example if the river were 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. In this case, we got what we wanted (the safe end of the straight), but we could still be behind...

It's in these situations where we have to be careful about over-valuing our partial outs.

bk

TwoShedsJackson
01-14-2005, 06:02 AM
Your avatar is making me thirsty Benny /images/graemlins/smile.gif