PDA

View Full Version : Dan Harrington rocks... but is a cheapass!

The T.A.
01-14-2005, 04:35 AM
Not intended as any disrepect toward Harrington, as I believe him to be one of the best MTT hold'em players in the world. However, I had to highlight these hilarious anecdotes from Barry Greenstein's site:

[ QUOTE ]
He is incredibly thrifty, to put it mildly. When Dan goes to a new venue his mission is finding the cheapest place to eat. I’m not sure if he owns a car and he used to rent rooms in friend’s houses at discount rates even when he was well off financially.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When Dan made it to the final table of the 1995 World Series of Poker, he proposed a nine-way settlement to the other players. He explained how they would each get enough money that they could invest it and be rich. Chuck Thompson, one of the players and a friend of mine, rejected the idea and told the other players that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make a million dollars. One by one, as each player got knocked out, Dan tried to sell the idea, even offering investment counseling. There were no takers and eventually Dan came away with the full million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. A nine-way deal and investment advice? Sign me up!

http://www.barrygreenstein.com/dharrington.htm

mshalen
01-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Sounds to me he treats poker more as a business then as a fun way to spend some time and make a few bucks. It is attitudes like this that allow a player to live the lifestyle they want on their own terms. I would prefer this rather than seeing over the hill guys still out attempting to make a buck, such as old ball players charging for an autograph or personal appearances.

DyessMan89
01-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Nothing wrong with treating poker like a business ... but I myself could never do that. I play poker simply for the enjoyment, and any money I make is a bonus.

DesertCat
01-15-2005, 03:32 PM
This is exactly why I love Dan Harrington.

KLGambiT
01-15-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly why I love Dan Harrington.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, seems like dans play style matches his lifestyle (very conservative)

Freudian
01-15-2005, 08:36 PM
It's his job and he behaves accordingly. I think it is a refreshing contrast to those excellent players who have the gambling bug.

ZeeBee
01-15-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is attitudes like this that allow a player to live the lifestyle they want on their own terms.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like Dan could live the lifestyle he wants flipping burgers!

ZB

zaxx19
01-16-2005, 12:51 AM
No, BC people usually become overly frugal for the most part bc they want financial security and constantly worry about going broke, not bc they want to live at some lifestyle.

TheWorks
01-16-2005, 03:57 AM
So the man doesnt like throwing his money around, whats wrong with that? Just because your a billionare doesnt mean that you have to eat $1000 meals.

I got great respect for the man /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go Harrington

soko
01-16-2005, 04:50 AM
I'd rather support my lifesyle playing poker than flipping burgers 40 hours a week, your point is moot.