PDA

View Full Version : Single Table SNG down to heads up

Steve
01-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Late in these single table SNG NL tournaments when it is HU and the blinds get high (say, 200/400) I often get myself in trouble.

I'll get dealt something like 54 in the BB. The button raises the minimum (to 800), so now I'm getting 3 to 1 to call the extra 400 and see the flop. I feel like I'm mathematically compelled to call.

But if I call I end up on the flop out of position, and unless I get really lucky and hit 2-pair or better, I can't play this hand with any confidence. The pot is now 1600 and the stack sizes are only about 4000 each.

Any advice?

eastbay
01-14-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Late in these single table SNG NL tournaments when it is HU and the blinds get high (say, 200/400) I often get myself in trouble.

I'll get dealt something like 54 in the BB. The button raises the minimum (to 800), so now I'm getting 3 to 1 to call the extra 400 and see the flop. I feel like I'm mathematically compelled to call.

But if I call I end up on the flop out of position, and unless I get really lucky and hit 2-pair or better, I can't play this hand with any confidence. The pot is now 1600 and the stack sizes are only about 4000 each.

Any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Don't ever call HU except as a trap with a monster. Raise your aggression about 1000%. Trying to flop two-pair? Geez, man, that is weak.

It's not far from unbeatable to just push every hand except a few super trash hands from the SB, and call all-in with any A, K, or pair.

eastbay

david050173
01-14-2005, 04:52 AM
push. Sure you are on the wrong end of a 60:40 if he call but occassional blind defense like this will make him hesitant to call.

Gramps
01-14-2005, 06:06 AM
If your opponent mini-raises a lot from the SB (say 2/3 or more), and always bets when checked to on the flop...then sitting there with a pair on the flop (even bottom pair), you're going to be ahead a large % of the time. If the flop bet is typically something like 1/2 pot (800 chips at 200/400), then in essence you're getting 5:1 against a "close to random hand" when you check the flop and your opponents throws some more chips out there.

I don't know about 54, but with a semi-crap hand like 87, no shame with calling and check-pushing the majority of the 1/3 of the time you flop a pair (depending on it's texture, etc.). I'd C/R all-in with even bottom pair on some flops against some opponents. Usually your opponent folds, sometimes he even makes an "embarassed call" with a not-too-great draw or Ax - even at the 215s - (or folds a hand that's about even money with you given overcards/draws, etc. or even folds a 2nd pair/bottom pair-better kicker hand that's ahead).

Sometimes he's ahead, calls and stays ahead. Sometimes he's behind, calls, and wins. But that's the (not too large) risk you take. Coming over the top with 54o for all your chips PF is a much bigger risk in comparision (though the potential reward is greater - 3 BB for free regardless of what the flop was and whether it would have hit your hand).

Just another option to keep in mind. It's not always raise or fold (but you don't want to keep calling and check-folding when you miss, then you're literally giving your chips away - more of a little changeup).

Myst
01-14-2005, 06:11 AM
Play that way and youll run out of chips... fast.

Gramps
01-14-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Play that way and youll run out of chips... fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh, are you the designated Gramps-hater? Read to the bottom next time.

[ QUOTE ]
Just another option to keep in mind. It's not always raise or fold (but you don't want to keep calling and check-folding when you miss, then you're literally giving your chips away - more of a little changeup).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you took issue with me saying call with JJ by replying you should call with JJ in the other post either. I mispost sometimes (e.g. typo saying there were 4 left vs. 5 in the JJ post, or mixing up one player's position), but you're taking issue with things not there. Which makes me think your sole purpose it to take issue. That's what your actions communicate.

Steve
01-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the great advice everyone. That makes a lot of sense.

Steve