PDA

View Full Version : KK in two different situations....please critique

theredpill
01-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Ok. Played KK two different ways in the span of 30 minutes based on what I thought.

Hand 1) SB understands odds and outs but plays almost every hand . Was kind of loose with the money on the flop..raising a lot post flop and betting his open ended straights strongly. I stuck with the hand on the flop based because if the player had two pair... I figured I still had outs to the straight and 2 outs to the set. 6 outs total. ??? Good reason or bad ? I had seen SB raise a pot on the turn only to fold it on the river.
On the flop, I thought SB had A J or A Q but on the turn when the 2nd ace hit. I thought he had Q J .

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($25.1)
MP ($43.8)
Button ($16.55)
SB ($42.35)
BB ($17)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP folds, Button folds, SB calls $2.75, BB folds.

Flop: ($6.50) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $12</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($30.50) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10.1 (All-In)</font>, SB calls $4.10.

River: ($50.70) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50.70

Hand 2) Had a feeling about one of the players having an Ace. I didn't think I could get them off of it since they wouldn't fold preflop so I just played this hand like it was limit poker. I think I ended up losing less than I would had I played it aggressively. I don't think I could have won it. What do you think ?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($78.35)
UTG ($36.11)
MP ($25.12)
CO ($24.1)
Button ($15.82)
SB ($16.5)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP calls $2.50, Button folds, SB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.50) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, SB calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($15.50) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, SB calls $2, Hero calls $2.

River: ($21.50) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: $21.50

What should I be thinking on the flop with KK and an Ace hits ? What does a good player think everytime they are in a hand on the flop ? Thanks for all the advice. I absorb it.

theredpill
01-14-2005, 03:57 AM
I should also say that since getting so pissed about losing all that money my $30 bankroll in Party is now at $185. I've made $45 so far tonight and I did that in the first hour. My money hasn't moved for about 2 hours and was hovering over the $70 to $80 mark on the table so I just left. But, if you feel I played those hands wrong, let me know. I want to be a winning player. I want to kill the games.

pho75
01-14-2005, 11:54 AM
You wanted advice from a good player. Well, I'm a good micro-limit player that has only been playing for about 4 months. I would also like to hear what a GOOD player would be thinking.

Hand #1
I would be thinking that I might have the best hand after the flop and would bet about $5. Your pot odds to call his raise are 4-1. Even if you assume your 6 outs are good, it's 7-1 to hit one on the turn, which is bad. The fact is, you actually have only 4 outs. Your third K could make him a straight. He called your raise before the flop and then check raised you. That seems very dangerous to me. That flop is about as bad as it gets for your KK. I would fold.

Again I would be thinking that my KK might be the best hand after that flop and would bet $5. You just checked and their minibets would suggest that they have not made a hand yet. I would put in about a pot sized raise to cut down their odds and to find out where I am or to just win it right there. As for the rest of the hand, I don't really know. I've never been in that situation before.

theredpill
01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
I agree with you on Hand 1 . I ended up winning Hand 1 on the river.

Hand 1) Opponent flopped a set of Queens. I won with my King on the river to give me Kings full of aces.

Hand 2) Opponent had A 7 . I lost that one.

I agree that I should have folded to the reraise on the flop. Dumb mistake. There are a lot of hands that beat me and those hands that beat me are beating me by a lot.

kurto
01-14-2005, 06:26 PM
I've been doing very well lately playing microlimits (since Christmas, I've turned a $250 bank into $880 playing .05/.10 NL and .10/.25 NL on pokerstars). Here's my two cents. Keep in mind that my comments are based on the fishy play on the microlimit tables at PS.

Those are both terrible flops for KK. I have found that regardless of the raise, there's quite often one or 2 people who will call with any ace. But if they're kickers are weak, they may fold. Either way, you have to bet for information. In either case, if your bet is called, you are done.

You sucked out on the second hand. Of the two, though you won it, that had the worst expectation of winning. Your opponent could already have TP, 2 pair, straight and on top of that a flush draw and a set. You take one stab at it, then drop it. I don't believe your stacks are deep enough to merit staying for a draw.

The second hand is a little better. Yet you missed played it. At most of my tables, a good bet would have taken this from someone who will call with an A-7. But when you checked, you lost any hope taking the pot. If you were going to call a 2$ bet, then you should make the $2 bet. The minute you checked, if you're a straightforward player, he knows he's got you. Bet $4 on the flop... the crappy kicker might fold (and you lose the same 4$ you did in the hand, the difference is considering you showed aggression preflop, you might take it with the bet.)

If you know your opponents will call to the river with crappy kickers, then check to the river if you're called.

I can't tell you how often you can raise with pocket 7s, the board flops A K 8 4 - if you make a strong raise, they will put you on TP great kicker or 2pair and fold the better hand. (it helps if you showdown some great cards earlier. I don't play crappy kickers and I show my great kickers a lot early. People will know that that you only play AK or AQ... then when you raise with a pocket pair and an ace flops, most players will drop their aces with weak kickers.)