PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flop play: "Hand quizzes"

Biff M.
01-14-2005, 03:41 AM
The game is <random poker site> No-Limit, blinds are $ 1/2. Stacks are irrelevant, let's say everyone has $200.

1)
You limp UTG with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Folded to CO who makes it 6.
Button and SB folds.
BB re-raises to 14
Your move.

2)
It is folded to you in MP3, you have 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Your action?

3)
Folded to MP2 who raises to 10.
Your action in MP3 with 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif?

4)
You post big blind of $2 and get 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG+1 raises to 8 and it's 2 cold-callers over to you.
Call?

5)
UTG folds, and UTG+1 limps in.
So does MP2, CO and Button.
SB folds and you squeeze out K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif in BB. Action?

I don't know how interesting this is
for everyone, but I just made up some
scenarios that often comes up and gets
my brain started. I would appreciate some
kind of thinking process laid out as well.
Not that you usually don't do it, but anyhow /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BobboFitos
01-14-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1)
You limp UTG with A K .
Folded to CO who makes it 6.
Button and SB folds.
BB re-raises to 14
Your move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont limp with AK.

Given the action, fold to the raise and reraise.

[ QUOTE ]
2)
It is folded to you in MP3, you have 4 4
Your action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is full and not 6max, so just open-limp.

In 10max thinking everytime you open a pot you need to come in for a raise is wrong. It's more correct to do so in 6max.

[ QUOTE ]
3)
Folded to MP2 who raises to 10.
Your action in MP3 with 10 10 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 5x BB standard opening? We both have 200, this is a call.

[ QUOTE ]
4)
You post big blind of $2 and get 8 7
UTG+1 raises to 8 and it's 2 cold-callers over to you.
Call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand some people calling and others folding. If I really felt I needed to play a hand I'd call, but I think played optimally in this spot it's pretty borderline EV one way or the other.

[ QUOTE ]
5)
UTG folds, and UTG+1 limps in.
So does MP2, CO and Button.
SB folds and you squeeze out K Q in BB. Action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont let Amoeba's post re: KQo in the other thread confuse you. This is an easy check.

He often gives great advice, and I normally agree with him, but I dont understand how raising in the BB w/ KQo or KQs is a winning play. Or, perhaps better put, I believe checking is slightly more pos EV than raising, although I can understand how both situations can be pos EV. Wanted to clarify that.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how interesting this is
for everyone, but I just made up some
scenarios that often comes up and gets
my brain started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont know what needs explanation... I think each decision is fairly standard / obvious. I guess:
Hand 1 - If you're not worried about CO re-re-raising some might argue cold-calling is OK, but I think this is an easy fold once you've limped. Unless the BB is a total LAG, he's got to have a very strong hand to reraise from the BB. Think about a typical 2+2 reraising standard from the BB, (like... AA, KK, and QQ. "we" dont even like reraising AK) and maybe throw in AK / JJ to that hand range. Ya-ouch!

Hand 2 - if the action is maddeningly tight some might open with a raise, but if you get reraised you've essentially killed your implied odds with a hand that loves seeing flops. It's kinda dependant on table texture, but I think open limping is right most of the time.

Hand 3 - were you actually considering folding or reraising???

Hand 4 - explanation above (i think) Pros: You're getting laid a nice price to see a flop, you have position relative to the raiser
Cons: You are out of position the entire hand with a drawing hand, your stack is just at the point (100bb) where calling a raise with a SC might be ok, but it's still not great

TheWorstPlayer
01-14-2005, 05:56 AM
You're supposed to let some of the other kids have a chance to answer! I think I agree with everything except for the mocking suggestion that someone might think of re-raising TT there. It is a bad idea, but one that smart people have a lot. Even some 2+2ers.

BobboFitos
01-14-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're supposed to let some of the other kids have a chance to answer! I think I agree with everything except for the mocking suggestion that someone might think of re-raising TT there.

[/ QUOTE ]

TWP now you're making fun of me :P

Alright, it's 6am, time for bed.

Yeah, the TT is a standard call, reraising and folding are both very very bad. [ QUOTE ]
It is a bad idea, but one that smart people have a lot. Even some 2+2ers.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're right

DBowling
01-14-2005, 08:27 AM
1 fold
2 limp
3 call
4 its close, i like to call.
5 raise

TheWorstPlayer
01-14-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

5 raise

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought everyone had decided that this was making your KQ into 72o and was a pretty bad idea. Even amoeba agreed to that point in the other thread except for unusual circumstances.

Burno
01-14-2005, 09:24 AM
1. Fold. I'm not playing a big pot with this hand after a raise and a re-raise.

2. Open limp or min-raise. On the site I play 100BB games on both are strangely tolerated. I realize how awful min raising preflop is in most regards, but against bad players who won't loosen re-raising standards, it is an excellent way to gain initiative or ensure that you can play a speculative hand against another big stack for a decent price.

3. Call and flop a T.

4. Easy Call. I'm assuming you meant posted in the cutoff. Anyone who folds here for this amount is giving up more than they realize. 87s in this position in a EP raised, multiway pot is a hand you bust people with.

5. Check.

pho75
01-14-2005, 09:32 AM
My cards - good
Position - bad
Pot odds - good
Raised and reraised - bad
Raise came from steal position - good
Reraise came from resteal position - good
They knew I had limped UTG - bad

This comes down my read of the others and what they think about me. I hate calling raises with AK. If I had to choose I would say fold.

My cards - bad
Position - bad
Pot odds - bad
Many players yet to act - bad

Fold.

My cards - good
Position - good relative to raiser, bad if other come in.
Odds - bad
MP2 raised only the BB - good

Call.

Position - bad
Pot odds - good
Cards - bad/good
Raised pot - bad
Raise came from UTG+1 - bad
Early raise was called twice - bad
You ask last this round - good

If you don't flop perfect those guys are going to make you pay to play. I think I would fold.

Cards - good
Position - bad
Unraised pot - good
Pot odds - Very good
Last to act this round - good

Check. I would not raise out of position with this hand.