PDA

View Full Version : Small blind vs big blind

zaphod
01-14-2005, 03:22 AM
This situation occurs quite frequently at the 30+3 SNG.
4-6 players left all folds to you in the small blind. Both you and the big blind have about 800-1000 chips left. The blind is 50-100.

You have been starting to push a few hands lately, and are afraid that if you push again, BB might be feed up and call you. So you call and BB checks. Then no matter how the flop hits you, you bid 100 into the pot of 200 chips. My experince is that this often wins the pot for you, and i belive this has been a positve move for me so far. The move seems weak, but i think it works often enough. Any comments?

Myst
01-14-2005, 03:23 AM
It works b/c 2/3 of the time, BB doesnt pair up.

therock
01-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I've put that move on auto pilot with about 60% of possible hands. Guessing I push 20% and fold 20%. I try to keep notes on the player/move. If the BB has a history of raising pre or post flop, I will make an adjustment. Seems to be a real profitable move at the PS $15 turbos. I do push a lot more as the blinds increase above $100.

Also, I try to take notes on the SB if I'm the BB. If he completes PF and fires a quick single unit bet after the flop more than once, I'll make an adjustment and try to pick the right time to two or three unit raise him.

schwza
01-14-2005, 06:04 PM
yeah, i like this move a lot too. you'd need to commit a lot of chips to put in a reasonable raise preflop, but you can steal for just 1.5 bb's. assuming, of course, that the BB cooperates and checks.

adanthar
01-14-2005, 06:09 PM
It's best if you establish you can get away with this during levels 1-3.

zaphod
01-14-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's best if you establish you can get away with this during levels 1-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a different point of view here. I will often fold especially during level 1 or 2, since there are few chips to be gained. Another point is that you will seldom get the chance to play only small blind vs big blind in the early levels. Also if i makes this move to often, my opponent might wake up, and realise that i might not have the best hand all the time.
But, sure this is much better if you know your opponent is a frequent folder.

(my name it is) Sam Hall
01-14-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

4-6 players left all folds to you in the small blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I rarely if ever do this with six so I can retain spotless credibility for when I try it four-handed. The blinds will be higher and BB is more likely to fold to your flop bet with anything except TP or better. Between pulling that twice and the complimentary move on my BB (SB completes, I raise) it's worth over a thousand chips. I haven't grad-u-ated myself to the 30's yet but it seems to work well at the 10's and 20's.

Sam

Insty
01-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Why not just minraise preflop?
That way you are not even giving the BB a chance to see the cards for the same outlay.

What do you do if the BB calls or even raises your flop bet?

zaphod
01-16-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not just minraise preflop?
That way you are not even giving the BB a chance to see the cards for the same outlay.

What do you do if the BB calls or even raises your flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think calling is a good move if the big blind is aggresive at this blind level. But calling and then betting the minimum bet risk's little, and i think it is a reasonable move if the big blind is often checking preflop and then frequently folding the flop.
If the bigblind raises on the flop, it all depends on how good your hand is off course, and how aggresive you rate your opponent to be.

I would guess that this move looses value when you move to higher SNG's when your opponents gets better. But i have used this move at the 30+3 SNG's and my feeling is that it is a winning move for me at this level, even though it feels weak.