PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a lot of liquor & I want suggestions

augie00
01-14-2005, 02:53 AM
When I get back to school in three days, I'm going to get my buddy to go on a gigantic liquor run for me. I'm looking to spend $350-$400 on liquor, and I'd like some suggestions on what I should buy. Here's a list of what I already have, and what I'm getting for sure.

ALREADY HAVE:
Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth
McCormick Gin
Southern Comfort
Du Bochett Blackberry Brandy

GETTING FOR SURE:
Romana Sambuca
Absolut Vodka (Vanilla and Regular)
Jager

I'd specifically like a suggestion on a good gin, and a good scotch.

The more exotic the better. However, Peoria is only 300,000 people, so I may not be able to find anything. In fact, sometimes I can't even find sambuca.

Please don't say GET HYPNOTIC CAUSE IT TASTES LIKE KOOL-AID or BACARDI RAZZ IS THE BEST. I'm looking for something I may have never tried and will enjoy. Extra points if you have a suggestion that also can make several tasty cocktails.

Edit: Also, does anyone know the legality of absinthe in the US? I might try to bring some back from Denmark if possible.

DangerGoodson
01-14-2005, 02:57 AM
if money isnt a huge matter, u can't beat grey goose (Vodka), Bombay (Gin), and jagermeister.

lapoker17
01-14-2005, 03:01 AM
Belvedere & Crown Royal.

augie00
01-14-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Belvedere & Crown Royal

[/ QUOTE ]

What is that? What does it taste like?

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 03:05 AM
vodka and bourbon.

augie00
01-14-2005, 03:06 AM
What kind of bourbon? I need specifics!

wacki
01-14-2005, 03:06 AM
In college Osco vodka treated me very well. And only $8 a handle! Amazingly, it was actually pretty good stuff. For rum, Petu. For wine, Yellow tail, Blue Moon, Mo Zin, and Little Bear. Makers mark, grey goose, chopin, Remi Martin, Hennessy all mandatory.

ThaSaltCracka
01-14-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I have no clue.

nothumb
01-14-2005, 03:10 AM
I'd get a bottle of Jameson 12 year. Not exotic, just good whiskey.

For scotch, Laphroaig (sp?) is pretty good... if you're just going to party scotch isn't a drink to break into now. If you're trying to have a well-stocked bar and expand your tastes it's worth it, but super expensive.

I'd get a top-shelf bottle of tequila like Patron (silver or gold, either is great...) if you can find it. Other good tequilas include El Tesoro (strong, mid-priced, great stuff), Herradura (try the reposado) Don Julio, etc. The difference between these and something gross like Sauza or Cuervo is huuuuuuuge.

For gin, Tanqueray Ten is good for martinis. Not even worth the price if you're just going to mix it with tonic.

For girly drinks, get some Chambord. Always good to have some Chambord around.

There are others, I'm bored.

NT

augie00
01-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Great post!

[ QUOTE ]
if you're just going to party scotch isn't a drink to break into now. If you're trying to have a well-stocked bar and expand your tastes it's worth it, but super expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why I'm asking, I'm trying to expand my tastes, but I don't know where to start.

[ QUOTE ]
For girly drinks, get some Chambord. Always good to have some Chambord around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is chambord a drink by itself, or is it used to make cocktails? If it's used to make cocktails, what should I get to mix it with?

KJS
01-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Get a bottle of Bushmills. Its tasty, not too pricey and very reliable. Not good for cocktails though, but man up and buy extra ice.

KJS

lapoker17
01-14-2005, 03:31 AM
If you're planning on making fruity drinks for girls, you'll need some Malibu.

Ulysses
01-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Search. There have been extensive threads on scotch, bourbon, and vodka.

brassnuts
01-14-2005, 03:32 AM
For a reasonable price, I'm a big fan of Maker's Mark. Definitely shop at Costco for this and vodka. Also, I'm not sure how many people know this, but you don't need a Costco membership to buy alcohol.

bugstud
01-14-2005, 03:38 AM
major props on the tequilla recs. I heartly endorse all of them, and they are well worth the effort. Corazon is also a good tequilla.

My personal recs include : Goldschlager, some of the tequillas, Rumplemintz (peppermint schnapps) and Svedka vodka if they have it. Svedka is cheap and smooth stuff.

Which Peoria? AZ?

nothumb
01-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Chambord is a raspberry liquer, great for mixing, especially with vodka. Can also be mixed with champagne. The bottle usually comes with a little box and a drink recipe booklet.

Be aware, Chambord has a shelf life, as does tequila. Alcohol begins to evaporate from both in 4-6 months.

If you're buying mixers, make sure you have pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, grenadine, Rose's lime juice, Triple Sec, tonic, club soda, ginger ale.

As for Scotch, it is really an acquired taste, and a very expensive one. Largely the same deal with bourbon. I'm not a scotch expert so if anyone was going to give you advice on it I wouldn't be the one to do it. I used to have a bottle of Ambassador that someone bought me, I don't even know how much it cost, but I liked it alright straight up, chilled, with a splash of club soda. (A lot of people drink scotch with a little water or seltzer as it is very strong stuff...)

EDIT: I meant to suggest that, if you're looking to expand your tastes, try tequila first.

NT

Scotch78
01-14-2005, 03:42 AM
My favorites for vodka, bourbon and scotch are Ketel One, Maker's Mark and MacCallan, respectively. Johnny Walker Blue is some great [censored], but way out of your intended price range.

Scott

Scotch78
01-14-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're planning on making fruity drinks for girls, you'll need some Malibu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget the girlies, man. Nothing like drinking chilled Malibu straight up on a nice summer day. I just wish they made an 80 proof rum /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott

Scotch78
01-14-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd get a top-shelf bottle of tequila like Patron (silver or gold, either is great...) if you can find it. Other good tequilas include El Tesoro (strong, mid-priced, great stuff), Herradura (try the reposado) Don Julio, etc. The difference between these and something gross like Sauza or Cuervo is huuuuuuuge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shelf tequila makes me want to stay sober, but I've never tried anything else. How likely is it that I would enjoy a better tequila (vs. just not being a tequila person in general)?

Scott

wacki
01-14-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Be aware, Chambord has a shelf life, as does tequila. Alcohol begins to evaporate from both in 4-6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubt that they have a shelf life, but Chemistry 101 says that if you remember to put the lid on the bottle, something else must be going on. More research I don't have time for.....

Scotch78
01-14-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but Chemistry 101 says that if you remember to put the lid on the bottle, something else must be going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will slow it down, but as the airspace in the bottle increases it will speed up exponentially.

Scott

nothumb
01-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Very likely that you have just had wretched experiences from shelf tequila. If you like different liquors, like to drink, can handle strong stuff, there's a good chance you'd like good tequila.

I've known some people who just got so hurt on Cuervo they can't even drink the good stuff, but this is rare.

Especially fun if you get a chance to go to a tequila bar that serves an interesting variety, tells you about them, gives you those tasty chasers, etc.

If you get into it and really want to man up, meet me and we'll do tequila shots with tabasco!

NT

billyjex
01-14-2005, 04:59 AM
Whitewolf Vodka. $10 for a handle.

edtost
01-14-2005, 05:20 AM
tanqueray ten, bombay sapphire (ten is better, but both are really good)
blackhaus
rumple minze
goldschlager
jameson

thatpfunk
01-14-2005, 05:27 AM
J&B is good scotch. Makers Mark is good bourbon.

Both on the rocks with water is an excellent drink.

ethan
01-14-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knob Creek.

beerbandit
01-14-2005, 09:04 AM
i drink gin and tonic

normally use bombay sapphire

kaluha, vodka, milk isnt to bad if you get heartburn easy or have heartburn

personalyl id rather just drink beer --- i usually get way to drunk to try and mix drinks --- i also am pretty lazy

have a good time

jakethebake
01-14-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
vodka and bourbon.

[/ QUOTE ]
crown royal ain't bourbon.

jakethebake
01-14-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knob Creek.

[/ QUOTE ]
Decent stuff!

guller
01-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I'll second Patron Tequila. That stuff is the best.

James Boston
01-14-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canadian blended whiskey...very smooth. Although, I prefer Johnny Walker.

jakethebake
01-14-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Canadian blended whiskey...very smooth. Although, I prefer Johnny Walker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Canadian blended whiskey is not bourbon. And it's horse piss.

James Boston
01-14-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it was bourbon. I said it was Canadian Blended Whiskey, and while it is over rated, it ain't horse piss.

jakethebake
01-14-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it was bourbon. I said it was Canadian Blended Whiskey, and while it is over rated, it ain't horse piss.

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked "What kind of Bourbon?" And you responded Canadian Blended Whiskey, which implied it was a kind of bourbon. Sorry if I misunderstood.

razor
01-14-2005, 10:23 AM
the confusion is a direct result of TSC's inability to post correctly. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rhone
01-14-2005, 10:35 AM
"For scotch, Laphroaig (sp?) is pretty good"

I love Laphroaig, but you should know that it, and all the Islays, are VERY acquired tastes. Many people hate them for their iodine, saltwater-ish taste.

My choice for a really good single malt Scotch that may be a little bit more conventional would be MacCallans (sp?)

Wayfare
01-14-2005, 10:36 AM
For a good scotch you might try the MacCallan, it is my favorite (smooth sherry, no peat). If you don't want to spend $40 on it a Balvenie or Glenfiddich is good for most.

For a good mixing (or sipping) whiskey I suggest Crown Royal, it is a blended Canadian. It sort of tastes like a more refined Jack Daniels, without the overpowering molasses (I think) flavor that Jack has.

I really enjoy grey goose if it's going to be taken as shots, but most mixing can be done with any decent vodka.

But for getting straight crunk, you can't beat ice cold jaeger straight from the bottle.

Rhone
01-14-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knob Creek.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely a step above Maker's Mark, but you can do even better. Try Bookers, Bakers...and there's another whose name escapes me... it's in a squat little bottle and there's a cheesy horse and rider figure on the stopper. But mmmmmmm, it's good stuff.

Rhone
01-14-2005, 10:45 AM
for something really interesting that most people don't have, see if you can find a good bottle of Calvados. It's French apple brandy, and it's wonderful stuff. I also imagine it would make some great mixed drinks, too, but I don't have any recipes.

(And don't buy Apple Jack if you can't find Calvados!)

Shajen
01-14-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get back to school in three days, I'm going to get my buddy to go on a gigantic liquor run for me. I'm looking to spend $350-$400 on liquor, and I'd like some suggestions on what I should buy. Here's a list of what I already have, and what I'm getting for sure.

ALREADY HAVE:
Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth
McCormick Gin
Southern Comfort
Du Bochett Blackberry Brandy

GETTING FOR SURE:
Romana Sambuca
Jager

I'd specifically like a suggestion on a good gin, and a good scotch.

The more exotic the better. However, Peoria is only 300,000 people, so I may not be able to find anything. In fact, sometimes I can't even find sambuca.

Please don't say GET HYPNOTIC CAUSE IT TASTES LIKE KOOL-AID or BACARDI RAZZ IS THE BEST. I'm looking for something I may have never tried and will enjoy. Extra points if you have a suggestion that also can make several tasty cocktails.

Edit: Also, does anyone know the legality of absinthe in the US? I might try to bring some back from Denmark if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny Walker...try the Black or Blue label.
I third NT's recommendation on the Patron. In a pinch, Cuervo 1800 is ok.

If you like Jack, Gentleman Jack is pretty good.
You will need some low end stuff like rums for your bar too...Capt Morgan is much better than the [censored] that is bacardi.

Don't forget your schnapps

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

smudgex68
01-14-2005, 11:26 AM
To make a classic cocktail you're missing Campari. You see why don't you.

turnipmonster
01-14-2005, 11:49 AM
get some maker's mark, I like it more than knob creek (but knob creek is good too).

LALDAAS
01-14-2005, 11:51 AM
JAMESON! Thats all I need !

MHarris
01-14-2005, 12:25 PM
If you're looking for a great scotch, go with Glenlivet. It's really smooth. Johnnie Walker Black is a good blended scotch if you prefer that. Bombay and Tanqueray both make a good gin frfom what I hear, but I don't drink that [censored]. It makes me see little pink Christina Aguilera monsters.

Other must-haves (since you'll still have a shitload of cash left over): Jack Daniels, Cuervo tequila, triple sec, lime juice, margarita mix, Black Haus, Bacardi, Capt. Morgan, Rumpleminze, Goldschlager, and a good bartending book.

gilper
01-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't know [censored] about poker but liquor is my wheelhouse.

Gin- Plymouth and Hendricks are the best. Bombay Sapphire is adequate. Don't even think about buying cheap gin.

Single Malt Scotch - Too many varieties and too exspensive to just go out and buy one. Try some at a bar first to be sure you like it. Even better, if you can find some airline bottles get those. Several to try
From Speyside: Aberlour 10yr ~$30
Highland: Macallan 18yr or Oban 14yr
Islay: Laphroaig 10yr ~$50 or Lagavulin 16yr

Blended Scotch - Johnny Walker Black is good for a rusty nail. Don't forget the Drambuie.

Bourbon - Elijah Craig or Elmer T. Lee, both are cheap enough to mix good enough to drink neat. Top shelf try Old Rip Van Winkle or Blantons. Woodford reserve is a good mid priced option.

Vodka - For martinis or black russians my favorite is Kettle one. If your mixing don't waste your money and just get Luksusowa.

Tequila -Cantera is a good medium priced option. For margaritas a cheaper Sauza is a good

Check outThe Best Bar (http://www.tastings.com/spirits/best_bar.html) for good info.

bholdr
01-14-2005, 01:24 PM
There are several bourbons out there that are worth your consideration, but any fully stocked liquor cabinet or coctail party lineup deserves several.

start with one of the basics, Beam, Evan Williams (black label 7 year, not the 4 year green label), or Old Crow. I personally prefer Evan Williams, It's cheap and smooth, and if you can find it, there's a 90 proof version out there that is a little less sweet than all of the others (80 and 86 proof). Beam is the standard bar Bourbon, but I personally feel that it's a little thin and the taste is too generic.

You'll also want a bottle from the next tier, at the 20-40$ level. There are really only a couple of legit choices- Woodbridge Reserve, which is kind of peaty (relitive to other bourbons) like scotch. Then there's Maker's Mark, which comes in a squat square bottle sealed with red wax. Maker's is the definitive mid-shelf bourbon, it's 90 proof, smooth as maple syrup, just the right consistancy for drinking on the rocks (which is the clasic way to sip bourbon), and the bottle lends some cachet to a liquor cabinet's appearance. Knob Creek is a little more expensive, and packs a wallop at 100 proof. It's worth the extra money if you like the flavor, which can be a little dense and cloudy. It's a Beam derivitive, aged, i believe, 12 years in french limosin oak Casks, but i'm not sure about that one.

And if you really enjoy a good bourbon and want to impress company with your knowlage of the original american whiskey, try some Baker's or some Booker Noe, each are Jim Beam bourbons that have been carefully selected by the barrel and aged 12-16 years. the proof on bakers is like 128.5 or something like that. this is a sign that it hasn't been reduced post-fermentation and conditioning, it remains in the form in which it came out of the barrel, and has a varying, but always super-smooth and unique flavor.

Those would be my personal reccomendations, but you may also want to try Wild Turkey (a brutally sharp 101 proofer), Jack Daniels (which isn't technicly a bourbon, sincce it's from tennesee), or Basil Haydens, another strong old Beam bourbon, and my personal favroite when I'm feeling spendy.

remember, bourbon is from kentucky, specifialy bourbon county, and nowhere else. accept no substitutes or immitators. It is traditionally brewed and distilled from corn, and matured in oak casks after being charcoal filtered. Bourbon has become such a well appreciated liquor that the barrels used to age it (always new barrels, flame toasted on the inside) are (after they're used to make bourbon)now used by the finest scotch makers, for the hint of sweetness that they impart on the scotch.

Always drink better bourbons on the rocks- lots of ice with the bourbon slowly poured over the ice to cool it to 32 degrees. some people like a splash of water in there, but i prefer to just let the ice melt a little bit. Cheaper bourbons may be mixed, usually with Coke, but that's way too sweet IMO. Try Ginger Ale, 7-up, water, or sipping it neat from a shot glass.
Do not take shots, you're wasting it- jack daniels only. and no fancy drinks. an occasional manhattan is aceptable, but why bother? Bourbon is by far best on the rocks with a butless ciggerette. you dip the butt end in the bourbon before you smoke it- try pall malls.

In case you didn't notice, i like bourbon

Rhone
01-14-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Top shelf try Old Rip Van Winkle or Blantons. Woodford reserve is a good mid priced option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blantons! That's the one I was trying to think of earlier. That's some goooood stuff. /images/graemlins/smile.gif (Oh, and I love the Woodford Reserve too)

tyfromm
01-14-2005, 01:31 PM
http://www.transload.net/~terrisfunnypages/toons2/bottle.jpg

Lazymeatball
01-14-2005, 03:04 PM
That bourbon post is now in my favorites folder.

I regualrly drink Jim Beam straight, and when I want to go upscale I drink Maker's Mark, but my tastes haven't really matured yet, I'm still young. I look forward to learning about Bourbon, followed by Scotch. If anyone could make a definitive post on Scotch varying from low to high price range, with consideration for a beginners level of taste, it would be appreciated.

Gordon Bombay
01-14-2005, 03:08 PM

Roy Munson
01-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Crown Royal blows. There are many small batch bourbons that kick its ass.

Roy Munson
01-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Makers Mark and Macallan are fantastic. Johnnie Blue is very expensive for a blend, but for a blend it is better than most

swede123
01-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Chopin is a good vodka if you want something smoother than crap like Absolute etc.

Cheers,

Swede

PhatTBoll
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In college Osco vodka treated me very well. And only $8 a handle! Amazingly, it was actually pretty good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh hell yes. Osco vodka was standard issue for every minor is southern Indiana. One of the most disappointing things about going to college in NY was the lack of liquor being sold in pharmacies.

ethan
01-14-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knob Creek.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely a step above Maker's Mark, but you can do even better. Try Bookers, Bakers...and there's another whose name escapes me... it's in a squat little bottle and there's a cheesy horse and rider figure on the stopper. But mmmmmmm, it's good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorites are Booker's and Black Maple Hill, but I figured they were probably out of his price range. ($50 for Booker's, and $50-100 for the Black Maple Hill depending on whether you get the 14-, 16-, 18- or 21-year.) Baker's isn't bad, but I prefer the Booker's.

Knob Creek is by far my favorite of the bourbons in its price range.

Tacjedi
01-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Scotch whisky - Dewar's
Bourbon - Jim Beam and Canadian Club (not really a bourbon)
Gin - Bombay Saphire and Tanqueray
Rum (Light and Dark) - Bacardi
Tequila (White and Gold)- Jose Cuervo
Vodka - Smirnoff
Dry Vermouth Sweet Vermouth
Brandy and Cognac

Curacao
Southern Comfort
Triple Sec
Creme de Menthe
Amaretto

also you will want

angostura bitters
grenadine
+
copy of Mr. Boston (a must have book for any drinker)

Roy Munson
01-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Although Bourbon on the rocks is nice, neat is also great. Especially on a cold raw day like today in the NE.

I also believe you meant Woodford Reserve instead of Woodbridge Reserve.

Reef
01-14-2005, 06:59 PM
you and the Cap'n make it happen

ethan
01-14-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for something really interesting that most people don't have, see if you can find a good bottle of Calvados. It's French apple brandy, and it's wonderful stuff. I also imagine it would make some great mixed drinks, too, but I don't have any recipes.

(And don't buy Apple Jack if you can't find Calvados!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, Apple Jack works surprisingly well in most cocktails that call for "apple brandy". The results will be sweeter and more strongly apple-flavored, as you might expect, but usually still pleasant. If you're looking for Calvados cocktails, I'd suggest the Jack Rose and the Applejack Highball. (And you should buy a copy of American Bar, by Charles Schumann. That and Gary Regan's The Joy of Mixology are my favorite bar books.)

ethan
01-14-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And if you really enjoy a good bourbon and want to impress company with your knowlage of the original american whiskey, try some Baker's or some Booker Noe, each are Jim Beam bourbons that have been carefully selected by the barrel and aged 12-16 years. the proof on bakers is like 128.5 or something like that. this is a sign that it hasn't been reduced post-fermentation and conditioning, it remains in the form in which it came out of the barrel, and has a varying, but always super-smooth and unique flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baker's is 107 proof, and Booker's is around 127. (The bottle I have says 126.5.) Cask strength liquor's generally good stuff, you might consider a bottle of the Macallan cask strength as part of your scotch collection. Laphroaig also makes one, but as others have mentioned the Islay scotches are an acquired taste.

ethan
01-14-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GETTING FOR SURE:

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of vodkas I'd choose before Absolut. If you can find a 1.75 of Fris, go with that instead. It'll be around $20, and it's far better than any others I've found in that price range. (Also making it better than a lot of more expensive vodkas.)

Brain
01-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I second the Fris comment. Very good stuff.

bholdr
01-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Scotch is for pretty boys and fancy-pants bussinessmen. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

just kidding- I don't like it very much, though, it's too floral and fragrant, like potpourii or incence...
try glenlivit 18 year, though, that's an excellent and affordable, albeit generic and unspectacular, scotch.

bourbon. rocks. water back. ashtray.
Bholdr.

Leo99
01-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Start with the basics: vodka (I like Stoli), gin (I like Tanqueray), blended whiskey (I like Crown Royal), tequila (get cheap stuff and make margaritas), rum (Barcardi is fine for me) some mixer liquors like triple sec, creme de cassis, peach schnapps, sour apple schnapps, kalua, Baily's. A lot of the suggestions are real good but real expensive. If you've never had the cheap stuff, you won't appreciate the better stuff. Oh, and did you get the black Sambuca? I like that better than the white buca.

I had booze in college. A bottle of Black and White scotch, Jack Daniels, Seagrams 7 and some rum. No one had much of a taste for the stuff unless it was mixed with a lot of mixer.

bholdr
01-14-2005, 08:00 PM
still haven't seen one worthwhile post from this jerkoff...

and 'the mighty ducks' sucked ass!

bholdr
01-14-2005, 08:03 PM
yeah, woodford. woodBRIDGE is a popular wine. bourbon warms me up even ice cold. i do like a pull straight off the EW bottle before i go for a walk in the snow, though.

Eclypse
01-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Not kidding. You WILL trip on this stuff. The only problem is that you’ll have to order it from France because it’s illegal to sell it here (but, it’s legal to buy it from this dealer in France and have it shipped here—go figure).

La Fee Parisian Absinthe (http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/acatalog/lafeeabsinthe.htm)

bholdr
01-14-2005, 08:05 PM
see, i knew if i was lazy people would do the research for me! thanks! and i've had the McCallan.

mmmmmm... mccallan... arrggggmmmm...

Tacjedi
01-14-2005, 08:08 PM
You don't wan't absinthe

http://www.tuckermax.com/absinthedonuts.html

Cubswin
01-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Your in college.... save the money and drink beer. Why spend all that money on booze that other people will prolly drink?

cubs

bholdr
01-14-2005, 08:13 PM
oh and about 8 years ago, as my grandfater was dying (no sympathy, please, i'm over it), he borke out a bottle of 12 year commemorative Beam- from the 1966 indy 500 (!!!)

it went down my sixteen year old gullett like the sweet ambrosia that it was. wish i'd had a more refined pallette back then.

augie00
01-14-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your in college.... save the money and drink beer. Why spend all that money on booze that other people will prolly drink?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised, but chicks are way more apt to come to your room to get trashed if you have something more to offer them than Keystone and a crusty old bottle of Captain Morgan.

Cubswin
01-14-2005, 08:28 PM
So what you are saying is you need booze to get ladies back to your place?? If this is the case why get whisky and shiet like that? Most chickas only like booze that is either clear or fruity.... this should guide you to your selections....

cubs

cubs

Cubswin
01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
and a crusty old bottle of Captain Morgan.

*shakes head* why would you ever let a bottle of Capt get old and crusty. back in the day, when i was in college, a handle of Capt never lasted longer then a week... kids these days.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tron
01-14-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't wan't absinthe

http://www.tuckermax.com/absinthedonuts.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that story explains exactly why he DOES want absinthe.

Tosh
01-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Who cares, it all gets you pissed and a few e's will do a better job anyway. I don't care if it costs more, its a better bet buying your drink when you get to a pub/club anyway.

augie00
01-14-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most chickas only like booze that is either clear or fruity.... this should guide you to your selections....

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

I'm not going to feed chicks bourbon out of the bottle. I know chicks like booze that is clear and/or fruity. I welcome suggestions of unique clear and fruity liquors. Why should I limit myself to smirnoff ICE and bacardi razz, there's a whole world of liquor out there. geez.

[ QUOTE ]
So what you are saying is you need booze to get ladies back to your place??

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried stuff like telling them how big my bankroll is, and explaining to them the gap concept, but liquor just seems to work better for some reason.

[ QUOTE ]
If this is the case why get whisky and shiet like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cuz sum ppl wanna refine their pallate and shiet like that dog.

Matt Flynn
01-14-2005, 09:37 PM
value considerations are paramount here.

bombay sapphire clearly wins in the gin category. there is nothing cheaper that is remotely drinkable unless you dilute it hard with tonic and serve it iced. for that plain tanqueray and they'll think it's top shelf.

maker's mark is a fine bourbon and a bargain at $20, plus you get red wax equity. knob creek is not on the same price/taste curve, although it is good. for real frat boy drinking nothing can touch rebel yell at $7/fifth.

crown royal is vanilla additive crap except it tastes good if you like it. too expensive for what you get imo, but if you like it go for it. the bag is the nuts for scrabble btw.

grey goose is way too expensive but probably the best at it's price point in your area.

really good tequila - if you can get it - is a pleasure. safeway's bandolero brand is the best ultracheap knockoff (see frat boy drinking above). bandolero may not even be tequila, but if you are drinking tequila intentionally on your budget you do not care.

rumpleminz is fine with semisweet hot chocolate, too sweet to drink neat or with regular instant chocolate.

gran marnier should be on every shelf as the stock orange. for the frat boy "equivalent" see southern comfort. for a real marquarita one shot of your best tequila, two-thirds shot of gran marnier, two teaspoons apple blossom or clover honey and juice of one-half small ripe lime mixed and iced well.

for stock scotch glenmorangie 12-year oak finish (sherry if you cannot get the oak) at $35/bottle is excellent.

i rarely drink any of it, so we get all the top shelf stuff except chambord and the other disposables and maintain a great bar. you will drink everything you get, so might as well go for volume.

matt

Sweaburg
01-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Drambuie is also a good choice. Rusty Nails (1 part Drambuie 1 part scotch) are a damn fine drink in my opinion. The scotch helps cut the sweetness of the Dram.

Scotch78
01-15-2005, 04:22 AM
verclear evcbcause eeryhting else is like adead bayby

nothumb
01-15-2005, 04:53 AM
Yeah, that Laphroaig can be kinda pungent. Sometimes I just want to drink something that makes me feel like a rich, mean old bastard. Because I hope to be one some day and need the practice.

NT

nothumb
01-15-2005, 05:02 AM
I am so disappointed with all the people that followed our tequila discussion by saying "Get Cuervo or Sauza and make margaritas." That stuff is Mexican goat piss and in some varieties does not even qualify as tequila at all (not made from agave). It's grain alcohol with tequila flavoring. Ugh.

It's not hard to get a decent mid-priced tequila like Herradura, and this makes a big difference even in a margarita. And if there's a bottle of tequila around people will end up doing shots, so do them a favor and get them something that won't scar them for life, okay?

Out of all the liquors people have mentioned the distinction between good and crap is probably greatest in tequila.

NT

randomfish
01-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Laphroaig is the shiznit. Caol Ila is terrific as well. Lagavulin, Bowmore, also good. If you're gonna spend the money for a single malt, get one that actually has some taste to it! If you want to do the whole ol' rich bastard routine, get some cuban cigars for avec.

I personally cannot stand Glenfiddich.

I second the recommendations of Bombay Sapphire for gin. Smooth and mellow. I'd get a bottle of Beefeater as well, has a bit more bite to it.

For fruity chick drinks: Passoa! OJ + Passoa works like a charm. By drink three, start adding vodka... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BradleyT
01-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Get a bottle of Grand Marnier.

ethan
01-15-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of all the liquors people have mentioned the distinction between good and crap is probably greatest in tequila.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is particularly true since stuff that isn't 100% agave can still be sold as "tequila" when in fact it's agave-flavored everclear with corn syrup and food coloring (think cuervo). Sauza makes two bottles that are around $20-25/750ml, and you certainly shouldn't go with anything cheaper. If you're willing to move up a bit in the price range I'd recommend the Casa Noble reposado, it should be around $50. Great stuff and well worth the price. The Chinaco's also good, as is the Herradura NT mentioned.

You should take some of that Stars rebuy money and buy yourself some good tequila. If at some point you feel like moving into the $100 range, the El Tesoro Paradiso's great, as is just about anything from Porfidio.

I'd stay away from Patron, for the same reasons I'd stay away from Absolut. A lot of what you're paying for is marketing, and it's not as good as a number of others in its price range.

ethan
01-15-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gin- Plymouth and Hendricks are the best. Bombay Sapphire is adequate. Don't even think about buying cheap gin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second the Hendrick's recommendation. I'll usually have a bottle of that, one of Sapphire for "cheap" martinis, and a bottle of Tanqueray because it makes for better gin&tonic than Sapphire does. Hendrick's is best for both purposes, but at the rate I go through gin it'd be prohibitively expensive. Also, variety's good.

[ QUOTE ]

Single Malt Scotch - Too many varieties and too exspensive to just go out and buy one. Try some at a bar first to be sure you like it. Even better, if you can find some airline bottles get those. Several to try
From Speyside: Aberlour 10yr ~$30
Highland: Macallan 18yr or Oban 14yr
Islay: Laphroaig 10yr ~$50 or Lagavulin 16yr

[/ QUOTE ]

The airline bottles are a good recommendation, as are all these scotches. I might start with the Macallan 12, not the 18. Also, the Laphroaig 10 should be around $30, I'd expect to pay $50 for the 15-year.

wacki
01-15-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond a shadow of a doubt.