PDA

View Full Version : getting aggressive with AKo, no pair

Jonny
01-14-2005, 02:03 AM
CO is a solid TAG, Button sucks and is loose-avg agression, BB also is loose-standard aggession.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, CO folds, Button calls.

<font color="green"> This should knock out 88 and the like... </font>

Turn: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (10 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Comments on all streets, esp. the flop appreciated

Freakin
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (12 SB) J, 3, 3 (4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks, Button bets, Hero raises, BB folds, CO folds, Button calls.

This should knock out 88 and the like...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you give your opponents too much credit. Many opponents that match Button and BB's description will see the turn with completely unconnected cards. That being said, I'd play the hand exactly the same. Would you have bet the river if another blank came?

Freakin

Jonny
01-14-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you have bet the river if another blank came?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'd bet the river, and fold to a river raise.

sqvirrel
01-14-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'd bet the river, and fold to a river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often would you expect to fold out something like a pair of tens or jacks here after button has called the whole way?

You might consider check-calling since there are likely few hands that will call you here that you beat. This is a little opponent specific but isn't checking to induce a bluff (say from busted Q9) often superior to betting hoping for a fold from a better hand?

Joe826
01-14-2005, 07:12 PM
betting on the end with an unimproved AK is usually a bad idea. in this case, you'd be better off checking and inducing a bluff (which you are very likely to do against a LAG). if you bet, you're usually not going to like it when you're called (and there's no way your opponent is folding a hand that beats you). yeah he might call with a lesser A or even a K, but usally when you're called you're beat.

Jonny
01-14-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't really know what I was thinking on that last post. I would almost always check/call here.

sinfulslick18
01-14-2005, 11:47 PM
im confused as to why you did not bet out the flop when you 3 bet PF... unless if you were trying to tell everybody with the c/r on the flop that you had high pocket pair. Please explain. Betting the river with out the king or ace hitting is a bad idea.

-sinful

Jonny
01-14-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im confused as to why you did not bet out the flop when you 3 bet PF... unless if you were trying to tell everybody with the c/r on the flop that you had high pocket pair. Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my reasons:
1) I'm either slightly behind JJ, or way behind a 3. So giving/taking a free card cannot hurt me.
2) The field would almost surely call a bet from me, and somebody with a J or 3 would raise, and I would have to call that and be commited to at least seeing the river.
3) I C/R will knock out hands that would be mine if I do not improve. These include KT etc.. Mabye also knock out small pocket pairs. This is surely worth it for this big a pot.
4) A coldcaller behind my C/R would allow me to safely check/fold since it implies a 3.

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the river with out the king or ace hitting is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that, I mistyped that first post. I'd almost certainly check there if I had not improved.
-sinful

sinfulslick18
01-15-2005, 12:09 AM
thanks for clearing that up... what would you of done if you got reraised on turn. What hands would you have put him on then

-sinful

Jonny
01-15-2005, 01:10 AM
If you mean raised on the turn (not trying to sound anal here), I'd call obviously with my straight draw and 2 overs and check fold the river if I don't improve. If I hit the straight then I bet the river, and call a raise in case he has JJ for teh boat, and I don't want to open myself up to a 3-bet. Also this guarentees 1 more BB. If I hit an A or K, I bet and fold if raised. This gets max value out of a jack and you can fold if you are beat for the price of calling.