PDA

View Full Version : Wizards bet

10-29-2001, 06:05 PM
Wizards to not make the playoffs at +150 at Pinnacle. Convince me that this is not outright stealing.

10-29-2001, 08:09 PM
I don't know..Look at the break down of the East.. It is not a lock, but it's a pretty good payout.. You've got to figure that 6 of the 8 spots are locked with the following:

Philly

Milwaukee

Charlotte

Toronto

Knicks

Orlando

This leaves two spots for two of the following:

Atlanta

Bulls

Cavs

Pistons

Pacers

Boston

Miami

Nets

Wiz

Of these teams, you can pretty much discount Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, and New Jersey..

Also, I'd say Miami is clearly a better team than the Wiz..

However, look at who's left..Pacers, Boston, Detroit, and Washington..

One of these teams will make the post season, and I don't think that you can say with any certainty that they are better than the Wizards..

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good bet, but when you get right down to it, there are really only 11 competitive teams in the East, and at least 3 of them aren't guaranteed to be better than Washington... Plus with an expected slow start out of Philly, and a lot of uncertainty in the Knicks organization, some of the teams expected to cruise into the postseason may not be such a lock..

Last season, Indiana made playoffs as a 500 team, and I expect the last spot to be filled this season with a team who 500, or maybe even sub 500 due to the strength of the West.. It basically boils down to whether or not this team is a 500 team.. I think they are not, but could see them pulling 35 - 40 wins out..

Conclusion: Good bet, but not a guarantee..

10-29-2001, 08:45 PM
Well, at Pinnacle they had the following 2 bets offered earlier today at the same time:

Wizards to not make the playoffs +150

Wizards total wins over 37 +100

Unless they somehow are able to make the playoffs with under 37 wins I get some money.

Unfortunately the "not making the playoffs" bet has since moved to -120 so it's a horrible bet now, since they also offer total Wizards wins under 37 -120.

I wonder how much thought these sites put into numbers like this.

10-29-2001, 09:40 PM
how long is your money tied up???

10-29-2001, 10:07 PM
I understand my money is tied up for 6 months, but I can handle that knowing I'm getting an automatic 25% return on investment regardless of what happens, and 125% return if the Wizards win over 37 but don't make the playoffs.

10-29-2001, 10:09 PM
Too bad we all didn't get in on that.. I hope you bet the lot on it.. Good Observation..

10-30-2001, 01:33 AM
if the line is what i saw...and unless it has changed since you bet it, you may have the bet something different than you thought. take another look at the exact descriptions of your wager.

10-30-2001, 01:39 AM
Yes, it has changed since I bet it.

Originally it was +150 to not make the playoffs and +150 to make it and get eliminated in the 1st round.

The "not make the playoffs" bet moved to -120. But there's still a good bet there...since they also have Wizards over 37 wins +130.