PDA

View Full Version : i got my WLLH and SSH book

Joe B.
01-14-2005, 01:42 AM
how should i read them? should i read both at same time each section?

what starting chart you recommend to use WLLH or SSH?

or just read WLLH only and follow SSH chart and then after i get alot of games in read SSH and put WLLh away?

thanks

cowboyzfan
01-14-2005, 01:52 AM
Read WLLH and play 10,000 hands. While playing, read it a couple more times. Personally, at that point I would read TOP and then read SSH. But opinions vary on that. I would say the key is not to rush, but to learn and improve. Don't worry so much about the charts, just use the chart for the book you are reading, the differences are not that great.

Joe B.
01-14-2005, 02:15 AM
thanks

what the big difference between WLLH and SSH if the starting hands chart is not much difference? just curious.

thanks for the advice i just read WLLH and put SSH away for now..

gila
01-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Postflop play. Pushing small edges. Aggression.

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...I would read TOP...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have a copy; get one.

Joe B.
01-14-2005, 02:40 AM
ok thanks.....i get that next then

does TOP cover low limit texas Holdem? why is this book important like WLLH and SSH for low limit?

cowboyzfan
01-14-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

does TOP cover low limit texas Holdem? why is this book important like WLLH and SSH for low limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not about low limit Texas Hold'em. It is about poker, the fundamental key concepts that are used in all poker games. It is the bible of poker, for lack of a better word. TOP will make it MUCH easier for you to understand advanced, game specific, poker texts such as SSH and HPFAP.

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not about low limit Texas Hold'em. It is about poker. It is the bible of poker, for lack of a better word. TOP will make it MUCH easier for you to understand advanced, game specific, poker texts such as SSH and HPFAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well stated. IMO, Theory of Poker (TOP) is the greatest cover-to-cover poker book ever written. Everyone that is serious about poker should own a copy and read it as many times through as possible.

Joe B.
01-14-2005, 03:00 AM
thanks all

i going to order TOP

and read in order you guys suggested WLLH and play low limit holdem, read more WLLH. than read in TOP, and finally SSH.

do you guys know if there another new Publish of The Theory of Poker coming out? current one shows 3rd edition publish 1989...if there a new one coming i might wait before i order it. if not i order it ASAP

thanks

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

do you guys know if there another new Publish of The Theory of Poker coming out? current one shows 3rd edition publish 1989...if there a new one coming i might wait before i order it. if not i order it ASAP

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 4th edition, 5th printing, Feb. 2004. Couldn't tell you what the difference is, though.

Joe B.
01-14-2005, 03:14 AM
wow ok thanks i look for that one first

on Amazon it shows 3rd edition...i look around

thanks

cowboyzfan
01-14-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 4th edition, 5th printing, Feb. 2004. Couldn't tell you what the difference is, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My copy is a fourth edition, third printing, November 2002. The latest copyright was 1999.

To get the latest copy you might want to buy from this site. Another site, with often the best price, is overstock.com

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 03:24 AM
I have ordered a lot of books (including and not limited to 2+2 books) from http://www.conjelco.com/ . Their prices may not be the best, but their promptness and customer service more than compensates. I believe Conjelco is directly associated with 2+2, but offers many titles and other gambling related resources (video, DVD, etc.). Any of the problems (which have been very few through many transactions) have been dealt with by Mr. Wienstock and team with the upmost care and responsibility. I highly recomend them. Mr. Weinstock even posts here on 2+2 to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Just search the forums for Chuck Weinstock. Or here's his info: Mr. Weinstock (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=7&what=search&Forum=All_ Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&where=bodysub& Name=7&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval =&oldertype=&bodyprev=)

Joe B.
01-14-2005, 03:25 AM
ok thanks

ususally Amazon is pretty good in having latest publish date...like they did when i order WLLH and SSH from them.

i check some local bookstores this weekend...
thanks again

Kenrick
01-14-2005, 04:44 AM
WLLH is possibly looser than even the loose section of SSHE. Not recommended for a beginner. Both are good books, so read them both, play a bit, and then read them again and see which provokes more thought. WLLH is "simpler," but at certain stages, simpler can be a good thing.

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks everything Holdem related in TOP is easily covered in HEFAP. Certain passages seemed to be copied word-for-word.

cowboyzfan
01-14-2005, 07:42 AM
I never read the first edition of WLLH, but the most recent edition is not looser than SSH's loose section (pre-flop charts). well, it may be looser in a few areas, and it is tighter in others. But what is the point?

As far as TOP goes, of course HPFAP discusses many of the same things that are in TOP. That is the point, TOP is the foundation, it is the book that allows you to better understand other poker books. Can you say HPFAP handles a general poker concept better than TOP? no, you can not. It is the other way around. That is why we reccomended the book.

oreogod
01-14-2005, 10:06 AM
3 places, in best price order (usually what u are looking for when just starting out in poker, yes the books are pricey but well worth it, and later u will be glad they are expensive, keeps many others from investing in them):

www.professionalgambler.com (http://www.professionalgambler.com)
www.overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com)
www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com)

And yes I have ordered from them all, and the service was great for each one. Highly reccomended.

yeltzen
01-14-2005, 11:00 AM
All of the FAP series books do that. Annoying.

Joe B.
01-14-2005, 11:20 AM
so best to use the SSH tight chart for a beginner instead of WLLH chart?

thanks