PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a straight multiway, but there's a bet on my right

Aces McGee
01-14-2005, 12:21 AM
This is the second in a series of posts. Here is the first. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1528801&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) These hands aren't too related, other than I played them during the same session, and it occurred after I was away from the game for a while and read SSHE for the first time.

I've got T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB.

UTG+1 (62/1, and a calling station for one bet postflop) limps.

MP1 (31/0) limps

CO (52/3) limps

SB (30/8) completes.

I check.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

SB bets out, I call not wanting to lose any customers on this non-flush board. Only MP1 folds.

Four to the turn of 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets out. What's my action?

If call, would you raise if there was just one left to act behind you?

If raise, how many people left to act behind you before you just call?

Thanks in advance.

-McGee

pindawg
01-14-2005, 12:31 AM
You have to raise this turn, charge them for their draws, especially if their drawing to a str8 that iwll split the pot.

LImitPlayer
01-14-2005, 12:32 AM
Smooth call the turn, Raise the river

JinX11
01-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Agreed....fastplaying is the new slowplaying. A split pot would suck.

RRRRICK
01-14-2005, 12:45 AM
I would raise it, theres a diamond flush draw on the board so make your opponents put chips in to out draw you. Also raising will see JT,J9 fold on gun shot straight draws. The more players seeing the river the higher the chance of getting out drawn.

StellarWind
01-14-2005, 01:05 AM
There is a lot to be said for raising this flop and getting it over with. The inevitable problem with calling the flop in this spot is the same problem reappears on the turn and the river. You never get any good chance to raise and make some real money off your good hand. Often SB wises up and stops betting and then you never get to raise.

Wise businesses are learning to focus on their core customers and not try to be all things to all people. The same principle applies here. Find the opponents who really like their hands and make them pay a lot. Anyone who bails because you raise the flop was never very likely to give you more than 1 SB. Besides this isn't such an impossible flop for people to like. It fits a lot of limping hands pretty well including quite a few that you really could do without.

Aces McGee
01-14-2005, 01:31 AM
I called the flop hoping to keep people with overs and draws to smaller straights in. I guess I hoped the turn card would be something like an ace, king, queen, or four, making someone behind me a hand they'd raise the SB bet with. But maybe those cards would scare the original bettor or the other customers off, anyway.

There aren't too many hands I was too worried about on the flop, though. If both a nine and a ten are out, there are only four cards in the deck that can make a straight that chops with me. What other ones should I be worried about?

-McGee

StellarWind
01-14-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What other ones should I be worried about?

[/ QUOTE ]
876 is prime limping set territory. There could also be a boat draw if someone played connectors and flopped two pair. Someone could back into a flush. Finally those tens and nines you mentioned often limp with a friend named Jack.

My point is not that you should panic but merely that you are not invulnerable. A side benefit of raising the flop is it may prevent the occasional accident. But mainly I just think that this is a decent flop for loose players to find reasons to call. I think you make more money by betting your own hand and not fixating on confronting people with two bets. It would be a real shame if they were willing to give you a lot of action and you missed out in the name of coaxing an extra flop call out of a hand that probably won't go past the turn anyway.

pindawg
01-14-2005, 01:48 AM
You should be worried about any hand that could draw out and beat you on the river. 88, 77, 66 J10, J9, Diamonds

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and raise the turn here, anyone with a decent draw will most likely call two cold.

maxpowers21
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed....fastplaying is the new slowplaying. A split pot would suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome pic by the way. Nothing is funnier then nuts on the face. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

shummie
01-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I would definately just call on the flop. My hope would be that someone behind me raises.

On the turn, I lean towards raising even though it might push out some bets or kill your river action. Most of the people behind you who fold to your raise would have folded to one bet too. Also, I feel like you just have to raise at some point in this hand with the nuts just in case someone else has a fighting hand (two-pair or a set). You'd like to get into re-raise-and-cap territory.

- Jason