PDA

View Full Version : Two Tough Situations in Home Game

drexah
01-13-2005, 11:03 PM
So tonight i get a call from my friend, he tells me 11 entrants, 20$ buyin NL tourney at his house. haven't played a live game in a week or two so im anxious to go. Competition pretty weak, 2-3 solid players out of 11. Start with 100 chips and at this point in the tourney it was maybe an hour in, i was around 120. In the bb (blinds were 3/6) all folds to sb, raises to 14, i find TsJs and call. flop 7s8dAc. He bets 7 and i call, turn 9d. (completing my straight, and the nuts) he bets out 14 and i raise to 30. almost instantly after i call raise, the dealer flips the river which was a 9. villain who has about 35 in the pot of 70, and has to call another 15 with what i put him on TP TK, sees the board of 789T and instantly folds. basically i let it go after he relentlessly kept saying ' i was going to fold your turn raise ' which is basically bullshit. what is the right thing to do here? let it go, make the dealer pay, discard the river and use a burn card for the river?

another situations was basically when me and another guy who raised and i re raised him PF all in with AKs, was talked into calling his stack off (3/4 of my stack) with pocket 7's, the whole table was going "mine as well call you are short stacked thats a good hand (he was showing it to everyone) so he calls and flop A7xxx..i didnt want to tell everyone to shut up cause it makes it look like i really DONT want a call (which i didnt really cause i figured him for a medium pair) so i just shut up and they ended up talking him into it..anything to do after or just live with it? ended up with 6 left i had short stack in the bb, sb big stack raises i re raise all in he has AK i have AQs.. any input on the two situations and what i should of done would be helpful, thanks.

Stew
01-13-2005, 11:24 PM
In situation A, there is nothing you can do. He folded, his hand is dead, you win. However, had anyone noticed the dealer error prior to him folding, here's what happens. The river card is taken back and shuffled in with the remainder of the stub of the deck. The burn card stays. The player may decide if he desires to call your bet. If he does, then a new river card is placed. The keys being he folded, dead hand. If not, the exposed river card is shuffled back in with the remainder of the deck and a new river card is placed. Burn card stays burned and you do not re-burn before exposing the new river card.

In B, you have to live with it after the fact, although you should have told the people encouraging him to call to STFU and let him play his own hand and explain why after you have told them to shut the hell up.

ricochet420
01-13-2005, 11:26 PM
First one I'd let it go, but make sure to tell homeslice to slow down on the dealing and make sure pot is good. WTH was he thinking. Nothing you can do. Let him fold, take your money, and berate the dealer a little. Other than that...

Second situation, If no clear rules and you kept your mouth shut nothing can be done. I however, would have told everyone to shut up, one person to a hand. Also, the second he shows his cards to anyone it would be a dead hand. But you have to clearly state this stuff ahead of time. Was it your tourney? Someone elses? Where were the rules, the director?

-R

drexah
01-14-2005, 04:46 PM
It was the first time i'd played at this particular house with these people (my friends brother, and his friends) and the kid running the tournament was actually one of the ones saying [censored] so i felt like it wasnt my place to get up and tell them to shut the hell up (also because i felt like it conveyed that my hand was really weak. yea the "hand showing" was just getting absolutely ridiculous. the two big stacks to my right who were catching river straights/flushes all night just kept showing eachother their cards hand after hand after hand (in the middle of hands one of them would show the other their cards and tell him what he was thinking/what he was going to do) unfortunately i was never in the pot when this happened because it would of provided some useful information. when they showed eachother their hands it was usually one of them in a big pot with someone at the other end of the table. they were all older than meso i basically just didnt want to start anything with them but next time ill be sure to let them know how to not act like complete idiots while playing. oh btw the rules were pretty dumb, 11 entrants 20$ buyin everyone starts with 100 chips (5 blues [10], 8 red [5], and 10 white [1]... we started with 1/2 blinds (great, 10 whites and we start at 1/2) for half an hour....???...then after that the blinds go up every 15 minutes..??? basically they had no idea how to run a tourney i made suggestions but for the most part they werent having it any other way. real easy competition, besides the AKs hand that got called by 77 cause he was talked into it, and him hitting a 7 on the flop, i won almost every pot i was in, showing down a minimal amount of hands. also that dealer error might have cost me a bunch of chips. two lucky big stacks just kept calling all ins with crap hands and hitting river straights or river flushes.

smoore
01-14-2005, 05:35 PM
It sounds like a really juicy game with crappy rules and rule enforcement. Sounds like the're having fun instead of taking it seriously. mmmmmmmmmmm, tasty.

I say just go along with it when people constantly break small rules but I'd have to pop off with, "One head to a hand!" if situation B ever came up again. In situation A, that guy definitely owes you a beer.