PDA

View Full Version : Putting your opponent on a hand.

Token
01-13-2005, 10:38 PM
At the micro level, how many of you try to put your opponent on a hand?

toss
01-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Nearly futile against average PP players. All you have to know is if your hand is better.

Catt
01-13-2005, 10:49 PM
I try to put them on a range of possible hands, though certainly not every hand I'm in. I agree it's often tough with the average player at Party in micro, but not always and I think it's good practice to go through the thought process.

droolie
01-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Hand reading is crucial at any level.

davelin
01-14-2005, 01:39 AM
More like a range of hands than a specific one, but yes crucial at any level.

guitarhero14
01-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Any tips on putting a player on a hand?

droolie
01-14-2005, 01:52 AM
Pay attention to the betting patterns as you play. You will notice that players tend to do the same things over and over again depending on how strong their hands are.

Aaron W.
01-14-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nearly futile against average PP players. All you have to know is if your hand is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is overstated and self-contradictory. You can't know if your hand is better if you haven't a clue what they've got.

pindawg
01-14-2005, 03:33 AM
From previous reads and betting patterns, when I'm playing a hand I try to figure out what they don't have (like they don't have TP, they don't have an overpair). Once I figure out what I thinnk they don't have, I have a pretty good idea of they do have, and what cards to watch out for.

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand reading is crucial at any level.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and BINGO was his name, oh.

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Put them on a hand you can beat and then raise them.

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Put them on a hand you can beat and then raise them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little drunk, so please, disregard that statement. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SoftcoreRevolt
01-14-2005, 03:48 AM
At Micro limits it is sometimes easier to put opponents on hands because they are so honest. They raise with top pair, reraise with two pair, and slow play trips. If you can figure out what kind of player you are facing you should be able to put them on a range of hands. If there is logic behind their decisions, then it is worth a try.

The problem comes when you face a really wretched player who reraises preflop with J10o, but then "slowplays" top pair when it comes on the flop.

deacsoft
01-14-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The problem comes when you face a really wretched player who reraises preflop with J10o, but then "slowplays" top pair when it comes on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against most hands I'm playing... I invite them to slow-play a pair of Js or Ts on the flop.

SoftcoreRevolt
01-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Oh, definately. I only say that since it means it is difficult to put them on a hand. (I had that come up tonight with KK on the button when a J came on the flop and turn, so I couldn't put the guy on a J since he didn't bet the flop)

I only meant it is "bad" in the context of putting an opponent on a hand. Obviously with a player playing that poorly it doesn't matter if you can put him on a hand or not, you are taking his money 90% of the time at showdown.

pindawg
01-14-2005, 04:12 AM
If you can't put them on a hand, they're playing their made hands way to weak.