PDA

View Full Version : AKo applying HEPFAP

prayformojo
01-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Even at 3/6 I'm not often willing to give my opponents enough credit to apply HEPFAP plays. This was an exception because it was heads up and I had a solid read (>500 hands) on villain as a semi-loose player, PFR=5, and pretty aggressive postflop (2.3). I am sure he would bet this board every street with an unimproved weaker ace.

Is this the right time to wait until the river to raise?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.66 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

prayformojo
01-14-2005, 01:39 PM
This got shunned by the late night crowd. Anyone?

adamstewart
01-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Why didn't you raise the flop or the turn???

TPTK isn't a hand you want to "slow-play" until the river (i.e. perhaps his "weaker ace" was AQ or A,6 ...)

Head's up, I don't mind the line of calling the flop, with intent of raising the turn. But I think waiting until the river is excessive and risky.

Adam

prayformojo
01-14-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Head's up, I don't mind the line of calling the flop, with intent of raising the turn. But I think waiting until the river is excessive and risky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam, if my only concern is that he will draw to his 3 outer, is this really a case for protection? Take a look at HEPFAP p. 147: is there any reason not to apply this example here?

If you raise the turn and he 3-bets, what's your move?

PokerBob
01-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I like it, at least I think I do. I think you can win the max this way. The question is, do you fold to a river 3-bet?

PBob

prayformojo
01-14-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The question is, do you fold to a river 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It takes all my discipline (such as it is), but if I try this line I have to fold to the river 3-bet. While an aggressive player might 3-bet the turn with a worse holding than mine, the river 3-bet almost always means I'm beaten.