PDA

View Full Version : Fold this on the river?

chopper77
01-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi guys,

A friend of mine sent me this hand just for discussion and I thought I'd post it here. We disagreed on how it should be played- my input shouldn't count for much though, bc I'm relatively new to the game and not that good a player. Still stuck at the $.50/$1 most of the time! He's pretty good, he's been playing for awhile. Please don't be too hard on either one of us!

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (6 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14 BB

I think getting 14-1 on the river that you really really have to call. I may have tried to check-raise the flop with so many people and such a loose game, and I probably would have re-raised the turn. Take it easy on me though, I'm still getting my feet wet.

&lt;i&gt;Edited- I said turn and river earlier when I meant flop and turn, had to fix that...&lt;/i&gt;

puppet
01-13-2005, 10:45 PM
It seems that the turn paired A's for the button and with AQ in his pocket he drew the straight by the river (at least that's what the button wanted your friend to think).

With a strong set and a nice pot, I'd have dug deep for an extra bet too.

Token
01-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I most likely would have re-raised the Turn. It's a scary river card but no way would I have folded.

BottlesOf
01-13-2005, 11:12 PM
You got the flop right.

chopper77
01-13-2005, 11:33 PM
The guy ended up having AA and winning with a full house.

Limping with AA. Cute.

bisonbison
01-13-2005, 11:36 PM
your friend needs to fold preflop, 3-bet the turn and call the river closing the action in a big pot for one bet.

DemonDeac
01-13-2005, 11:37 PM
how bout a muck preflop. k9s sucks!

learningtobe
01-13-2005, 11:54 PM
maybe check raise the flop but Yea i think the bigger one is reraising the turn. The SB bothers me, why is he in this. Praying with a J?, have Ax, or what, but Still I reraise the turn, then probably just call down from there. This is coming from the Button afterall. And no I know one of my problems is calling down too much, but I have to call this down on the river no matter what happens on the turn and reluctantly see a Qt or Qj I guess. Or win woo hoo.

Edit to add. AND Unless a known passive loose game, which it very easy could have been. I dont even play the hand.

Harv72b
01-13-2005, 11:58 PM
K9s looked like a good limp to me on a loose table? Unless the 7 to the flop on this hand was an extreme exception.

chopper77
01-14-2005, 12:15 AM
I agree, I don't think K9s is so horrible on a table that's going to give you that much action.

bisonbison
01-14-2005, 02:21 AM
Decisions, from best to worst:

flop bet
preflop call
turn call
river fold

Flop is the only one that is clearly +EV.

fhhsa
01-14-2005, 02:31 AM
When I read it I said to myself "why play k9s utg in the first place"

But I could easily be wrong.

The Truth
01-14-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your friend needs to fold preflop, 3-bet the turn and call the river closing the action in a big pot for one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

StellarWind
01-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Fold preflop. Party 2/4 doesn't get good enough to justify this.

Flop bet is good. A checkraise is likely to miss or destroy the field.

I accept the turn call without a read on Button. Your kicker has been destroyed and it certainly looks like you are playing for half the pot. I don't see a typical 2/4 player making this raise without trips and the threat of KJ, QT, or JJ is very real. I won't risk 2 BB to try and get an extra 0.5 BB out of SB.

I think you should call the river but folding isn't a big mistake. I might do it if Button is honest and I really respect SB's play.

holdemfan
01-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Tell your friend that he will occassionally win with his K9 and feel good. The bulk of the time he will show down with second best hand and lose more chips than one should. Only time K9s is good (correction, not good, okay) is on BB, shorthanded (3 players) in late position, CO steal if blinds are tight, when your drunk.

PokerBob
01-14-2005, 10:56 AM
PF this is a questinable limp IMO. If you know the table is loose-passive, you can get away with it, but UTG K9s usually hits the muck for me.

Flop: Perfect.

Turn: 3-bet

River: Ugh. Flip a coin.

StellarWind
01-14-2005, 11:45 AM
You greatly overstate your case. K9s is a fine hand for limping behind some other limpers.

chief444
01-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Not to mention it's quite a bit better than "okay" in a 3-handed game. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

holdemfan
01-15-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not to mention it's quite a bit better than "okay" in a 3-handed game.

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]